I can't post. Advice?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

I can't post. Advice?

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:46 pm

I'm posting from another computer because I haven't been able to post from mine since the new format. I can log on and write a post, but when I go to submit it says "bad request"...something about my the server not understanding my browser. And often my browser quits shortly after that.

I use safari and I'm sure I'll be told to upgrade to something else but I don't want to. I know where everything is on safari. I don't really even know how to get a new browser if I wanted to. I tried posting with explorer but I can't even get the new format, it's just the old heading with a blank screen.

I appreciate any simple advice but I'm not very computer literate. I'll try though. If not, it's been nice posting with you all. Maybe I'll get a new computer eventually (this is an E-mac, if it matters) and I'll be back.

The new format works really slow too (on my computer at least) Reminds me of Madison.com

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I can't post. Advice?

Postby fennel » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:10 pm

Are you suggesting that TDP would not have tested a major upgrade with all the major browsers??? Why, that's just reasonable.

For what it's worth, this may have something to do with an implied expectation in the phpBB code that an explict http request is thought to be a https (encrypted) request, or something to do with non-TDP advertiser cookies. Hard to say. It could be something as simple as sloppy design passing under the guise of a security enhancement. That's a common theme these days – especially among those who like to track users' URL histories.

Note that the phbBB site has the same blue-toothpaste-squiggles as the TDP. Ick.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:24 pm

I use Firefox, but can confirm that even on Mac OSX 10.5 with the latest version of Safari (3.1.2) that I get an identical response. I can log in, read whatever, mark stuff unread, etc, but when I tried to post a message I got a 400 - Bad Request error. I'm also on a PowerPC mac, so if anyone with an intel one can chime in I'd be curious if its our hardware instead of software.

an older version of Firefox may work with your system. Thats about all I can reccomend.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:47 pm

I'm using OS X 10.5.5 on an Intel dual tower at work, with Safari 3.1.2. Same problem. I doubt it's a problem with the browser.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:05 am

narcoleptish wrote:I don't really even know how to get a new browser if I wanted to.

If posting here regularly is worth downloading a second browser just for TDPF, go to the Firefox website and click the big green box that reads Free Download. Follow the onscreen instructions just like you would if you installed any other little ol' program. Then you can just add thedailypage.com as a bookmark and you're set to post until phpBB or TDP gets the bug fixed.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:00 am

Four Macs (Intel iMac, two Intel MacBooks, Intel Quad tower), all 10.5.5, all Firefox 3.0.3. No problems posting on TDPF.

I just tried posting from one of the MacBooks in Safari 3.1.2, and got the "Bad Request" error.

admin
Forum Addict

Postby admin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:48 am

Posting from Safari version 3.04.
If this goes through then it obviously post okay.
If it doesn't then you won't know.
Either way, it looks like something changed and needs to be fixed.

admin
Forum Addict

Postby admin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:50 am

Okay, that went through.
Can somebody post the exact error message that comes up? I'm thinking now that it is indeed our security filter. Although why it would only trigger from Safari posts I cannot fathom. Yet.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:53 am

Error message wrote:
Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

medbh
Forum Addict

Postby medbh » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:55 am

I appreciate any simple advice but I'm not very computer literate. I'll try though.

For what it's worth, this may have something to do with an implied expectation in the phpBB code that an explict http request is thought to be a https (encrypted) request, or something to do with non-TDP advertiser cookies. Hard to say.

That's funny! :lol:

admin
Forum Addict

Postby admin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:16 am

Ducatista wrote:
Error message wrote:
Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Thanks, Ducatista!

This may now be fixed - if anyone with Safari out there can attempt a post and let me know how it goes, I would appreciate it greatly!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:53 am

Just tried and got the same result, sorry.

Oh, and I did empty my cache first, not that it would've made any difference, I'm guessing, but that's the first thing our interactive guys ask me about when I have a recurring problem.

admin
Forum Addict

Postby admin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:44 am

Ducatista wrote:Just tried and got the same result, sorry.

Oh, and I did empty my cache first, not that it would've made any difference, I'm guessing, but that's the first thing our interactive guys ask me about when I have a recurring problem.

Thanks for the assist!
Argh. Typo in the rule set.
So, hopefully one more time only, anyone that has Safari that can try a test post again, please do so and let me know success/failure.
I'd test it here, but we are whitelisted through our own security defenses, ya know.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:54 am

Testing...

Yup! It worked. Now back to my regularly scheduled Firefoxing.

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:08 pm

Ducatista wrote:Testing...

Yup! It worked. Now back to my regularly scheduled Firefoxing.

Thanks!

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”