Your "point of view" articles suck

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:02 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:
Marvell wrote:If such a thing really mattered to me, I'd be doing something...you know...effectual about it - instead of spewing some trivial exercise in masturbatory snark.

You mean like writing one long, reasoned letter to the editor? I am not sure I can do anything "effectual" about my complaints other than write these posts, as I have done for more than a year and a half. Of course, Isthmus considers itself a one-way conduit of information -- unless of course it wants to pick excerpts from this site to enhance it publication--and above the comments of its readers. You're right, why bother.

I think the real question is why you think expressing your opinion alone - regardless of how 'reasoned' you think it is - is going to effect anything. And that, when your first effort doesn't succeed, the appropriate response is to increase the volume of your shrieking.

When I post my sad personal ads, I do it with the full knowledge that no one is forced to read them, or to give them a moment's thought. In a very real and fundamental sense, I don't care. You're right - I use this website, for my (admittedly) entirely selfish ends. I'm grateful that the Isthmus makes it available for me to use, and I reflect that attitude by staying out of their hair in regards to their business model - which is their own damn business anyway.

If you want to effect change from the perspective of an advertisor, or a content provider, or someone else with an actual business relationship with Isthmus Publications, that might conceivably be an effective strategy. But you seem to be taking personal umbrage at people pointing out that all you've done so far is offer your own fucking opinion.

So - hooray. Now we I know what Fat.The.Gangster thinks about some stupid article I didn't even read, because it didn't interest me. Mission accomplished.

Next time, why don't you just not read the article that was so annoying to you?

Or is that too much like common fucking sense?

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:15 pm

I need to ask someone with experience, because I have none in this area:

Is this what it's like to have children?

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:20 pm

Wow.
1) I agree with most of what Fat Gang wrote and am surprised that most of you have turned on the personal attacks on Fat instead of responding to his content.

2) Why can't we read stuff and comment on said stuff, specially when said stuff appears to be less than what the Isthmus has been famous for in the past?

2) Book and Ship: take it from me, it's never wise to discuss your past product or future wishes here. Remeber how lame I looked when I was begging Isthmus to skip the query/submission BS and just assign me a story? That's you guys now. Quit it.

3) Stop outing people by naming their real names. It's annoying and childish.

4) Kenneth, admit it: your bar crawl story sucked.
So did the latest nightlife survey by Sally something.

5) Next time, send ME out to the bars. I'm already there anyway.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am

blunt wrote:I agree with most of what Fat Gang wrote and am surprised that most of you have turned on the personal attacks on Fat instead of responding to his content.

What the fuck are you talking about, blunt?

What happened is that the punk tried to step to me, and I slapped him down. And how many posts did it take before he tried to humiliate Shipley? One? And in the most pathetically junior-high way possible - sneering at 'a grown man playing video games' when Shipley correctly points out that the majority of video game players are grown men and women.

But fuck reality if it doesn't fit Fat.The.Gangster's image of himself as The Voice of The Cool.

Why else would he be using phrases like 'I think I speak for everyone?' The little bitch is too cowardly to stand by his own ideas - he has to hide behind the skirts of the herd.

So fuck him, and whatever stupid point he was trying to make.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:35 am

So, in other words, Blunt (wait, do I have to type that in lower-case so I'm not outing you? Or are you already out**EDIT: OUT IN THE FORONIC SENSE, BUT MAINTAINING THE DOUBLE MEANING FOR HUMOR'S SAKE**? I'm so confused!), an Isthmus writer can respond like Kenneth (that would be Forum member Kenneth Burns, not any other real human being with the same name) did, and get mostly flamed for it... Or an Isthmus writer can respond like I did, and get (wait for it) mostly flamed for it.

What is the bluntian Middle Path?

I'd like to address criticisms made of me (especially if they're in the form of a question, Alex), and if I feel I'm in the right, I want to defend my position. If I'm shown to be wrong, I want to be there to take my medicine. Don't see anything wrong with that at all.

PS for the record, I don't use real names unless said individual has already copped to said name on this website. Don't forget, the other side of the site ties real names and Forum names together in the comments. I'm not in the business of pulling off masks.
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:07 am

Marvell wrote:Why else would he be using phrases like 'I think I speak for everyone?' The little bitch is too cowardly to stand by his own ideas - he has to hide behind the skirts of the herd.

So fuck him, and whatever stupid point he was trying to make.

The poetry in your soul is so angry, Marvell. I anticipate reading many illuminating posts as to why.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:24 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I'd like to address criticisms made of me (especially if they're in the form of a question, Alex), and if I feel I'm in the right, I want to defend my position. If I'm shown to be wrong, I want to be there to take my medicine. Don't see anything wrong with that at all.

You are right, there is nothing wrong with showing-up and being held accountable for your work. You were very forthright in explaining that your Pug Mahones piece resulted from a last minute assignment. The discussion that followed, save Flanders' contributions, was constructive and not, as you believe, flame-worthy. Your explanation in that post only reinforces my complaint here that the editors at Isthmus are careless or lazy in putting together the paper or website and need to reevaluate how they operate and the stories they choose to publish.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:31 am

And again, to be fair to my Isthmus overlords (SWT), the PM assignment wasn't too last-minute. It was a combination of factors that included, I'm suspecting, a slightly lazy (or at the very least overworked) barkeep. It was also the fault of a slightly Eurotrash journalist who insists on eating dinner no earlier than 9 PM (hand raised meekly).

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:10 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:The poetry in your soul is so angry, Marvell. I anticipate reading many illuminating posts as to why.

Whether it's angry or not, at least I've got some.

I anticipate reading many more sniggering announcements of how much cooler you are than other people. I suppose this illuminates the yawning, existential chasm in your soul that you desperately attempt to fill by belittling the emotions and interests of others - but, honestly, I don't give a fuck about you and your various insipid pathologies.

Now fuck off, little man.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:30 pm

Marvell wrote:Whether it's angry or not, at least I've got some.

I anticipate reading many more sniggering announcements of how much cooler you are than other people. I suppose this illuminates the yawning, existential chasm in your soul that you desperately attempt to fill by belittling the emotions and interests of others - but, honestly, I don't give a fuck about you and your various insipid pathologies.

Now fuck off, little man.

Well, you've bested me once again, what with your withering accusations of poetry-having and what not. It's your choice to lay bare the shallow depths of your emotional vicissitudes on this message board and it's my choice to belittle your feeble attempts at fabricating a meaningful existence through an anonymous message board. Sadder still is the idea that this outlet is probably your only source of social interaction -- or did people finally get together at that park for Frisbee and drinks like you proposed?

Regardless of your blathering and accusations, I came on this message board to state my opinion about the quality of Isthmus' editors and articles and never once elevated my opinion above others. That the conversation devolved to name-calling is a function of this board and the people who choose to populate it.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote: That the conversation devolved to name-calling is a function of this board and the people who choose to populate it.

hey! i resemble that remark!

gemini child

Postby gemini child » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:38 pm

Wow, can anyone express an opinion on here without being attacked? Not everyone is like minded.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:43 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:

Regardless of your blathering and accusations, I came on this message board to state my opinion about the quality of Isthmus' editors and articles and never once elevated my opinion above others. That the conversation devolved to name-calling is a function of this board and the people who choose to populate it.

Name of thread: "Your Point of View Articles Suck."

I guess that's the 'constructive criticism' you were whimpering about.

So - add 'liar' and 'hypocrite' to your role-call of positive character traits.

And that your only rhetorical recourse (besides the aforementioned cowardly mendacity) is to continue to offer up pathetic ad hominem crap is definitely a function of you and what a profoundly shitty person you are.

Congratulations.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:50 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Or are you already out? I'm so confused!

Was that necessary?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:55 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:it's my choice to belittle your feeble attempts at fabricating a meaningful existence through an anonymous message board.

It sure is.

You are one sad motherfucker.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”