Your "point of view" articles suck

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:12 am

nevermore wrote:Ah...nothing like reading an Internet brawl to get the juices flowing in the morning.

Our teams are both out, nev. What else is there to do?

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:19 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Ben, this is the last time I will address you.

You asked a reasonable question in your very first comment on the review, and I answered it. You didn't like the answer, and that's fine, but there isn't a whole lot more I can do. Not that I'm not trying, for some insane reason, to fully address your concerns.

Someone else comes in and, rather than asking what I mean, accuses me of lying about it. You then proceed to ridicule me and call me names.

If you want to be engaged like an adult, Ben, act like a motherfucking adult.

I'll be happy to discuss this issue further once I've heard back from the chefs I've contacted. And don't worry, Ben, I've made sure to ask the question using proper grammar and spelling.

i think your history of the temp discussion is skewed, and i think the ridiculing and calling you names (linus) occured on this thread, not that one. also, i don't recall asking to be engaged like an adult, rather only pointing out that you're acting like a paranoid insecure baby... also as my posts are clear evidence of, i'm not one to harp on proper grammar and spelling. i think you have me mixed up with some other forons.
i'm sorry to hear this was the last time you will be addressing me. that makes me sad. truly.

Alfred McDougal
Forum Addict

Postby Alfred McDougal » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:46 am

TAsunder wrote:My iPhone has an application called Jott that allows you to record conversations and then it will transcribe them into digital format for you.

Seriously? Thats sweet. Where did you find it?

The above being said... I think this is yet another technology that further erodes the "absolute necessity," as Luders puts it, for over-priced/highly-biased/subjective main stream trendster word smiths. Not to be confused with journalists who cover substantive events in ways the MSM media simply will not.

Journalists used to be information filters and professionals who told the stories for victims who simply lost their ability to "tell it like it was" so the rest of us who were not their got a sense of what happened. They have simply morphed into shills for elite interests these days. The kind of elite interests middle class interests simply do not need, or want. Like I said, Isthmus is simply tabloid entertainment for Madison area liberals, liberals in training (the kids who couldn't get into professional schools) and elitists who need someone like Luders to reinforce their smug views of those they see as "uninformed" or "don't get it." Get what? Get that Luders is a smug dick?

As evidenced by his latest smug diatribe Luders seems to confuse written entertainment with "journalism." Shhhh... Don't tell him, it's better if he continues to look/sound foolish while portraying himself and his fellow cultural trendsters, errr journalists, as necessary because they are "informed."

Isthmus can pay anyone for their selective and un-authoritative opinions about usless subject matter just like I could pay a dog to bark. That's just a waste of money. "Informed" people understand this.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:49 am

Shipley wrote:What do you hope to accomplish today, Fat? Do you want my content pulled? Do you want me to tackle serious business? Should I apoligize for not reaching your mythical standards for the arts & entertainment page? Or do you just want to make me feel bad?

Well, before you injected yourself into this post, my entire purpose, as stated clearly in my opening, was to change the tenor and quality of the pieces Isthmus produces. I think the editorial staff -- or what's left of them -- are content to pump-out column after column of mediocre work, examples of which I provided, while they lose pages each week. I did not mention your work mostly because I don't read it. Rest assured, I am sure it is just as mediocre as the rest of detritus being paraded as journalism here.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:00 am

jjoyce wrote:The impetus for the piece was that some people showing up at downtown bars during previous debates had reportedly been shushed. The Cap Times reported on a politically-engaged group viewing one in a wil-mar driveway. It seems glaringly obvious that an attempt to see how the other half does it was necessary.

I love it; I state that the article presented no context save an underlying current of mockery and you shoot back that I am missing something because the context is right in the first two paragraphs. You then proceed to provide the "impetus" for the piece as a response to articles appearing in other papers as well as some sort of social current, neither of which the author mentions. There was nothing glaring about the need for this article, other than to join a one-sided conversation between Isthmus and itself.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:07 am

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:There was nothing glaring about the need for this article, other than to join a one-sided conversation between Isthmus and itself.

Readership of the piece in question suggests a wider readership than the Isthmus newsroom.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:10 am

jjoyce wrote:
Fat.The.Gangster wrote:There was nothing glaring about the need for this article, other than to join a one-sided conversation between Isthmus and itself.

Readership of the piece in question suggests a wider readership than the Isthmus newsroom.

serious question though, how is readership level measured? cuz if it's like the recommendation thing, it's seriously flawed. can't you set that thing up so you can only rec once from any given ip address or some such thing?

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:15 am

jjoyce wrote:Readership of the piece in question suggests a wider readership than the Isthmus newsroom.

Readership of the piece in question suggests that people are clicking the link from my first post. I noted yesterday that the story was pulled or buried from the front page shortly after I posted my complaints.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:23 am

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:Shouldn't you be lamenting your lack of meaningful relationships somewhere else on these pages? Oh, and I can hardly wait to hear about your trip to California with your dad! Yipee!

I'm sorry - was I supposed to give a fuck what you think?

Earth to solitary, cranky voice of unappeasable ego - I don't.

You may now return to your absolute conviction that everyone on earth should bow slavishly to your literary tastes.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:30 am

Readership is a function of views, and if you want to attribute the popularity of that piece to this thread, that's fine. Other factors would include links from other prominent local sites and the viral nature of literally anything we publish about the election.

Of course, the goal of most of these things is to get people talking about it. Fat The Gangster wants to fire away at the judgment of Bill Lueders, which is fine and welcome. But after a while the back and forth becomes counter productive, because we don't know how much credibility to pin on Fat The Gangster.

I guess this is the beauty of the medium. We can publish something and people can come to our site and blast away. Hell, if they choose to disclose their real name, thereby opening up their own work for consideration, they can do so right on the same page as the article itself.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:40 am

Marvell wrote:Earth to solitary, cranky voice of unappeasable ego - I don't.

You may now return to your absolute conviction that everyone on earth should bow slavishly to your literary tastes.

Says the guy who uses this website like a sad personal ad. I think I speak for everyone when I say I look forward to hearing more about the "poetry of your soul."

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:50 am

jjoyce wrote:But after a while the back and forth becomes counter productive, because we don't know how much credibility to pin on Fat The Gangster.

I guess this is the beauty of the medium. We can publish something and people can come to our site and blast away. Hell, if they choose to disclose their real name, thereby opening up their own work for consideration, they can do so right on the same page as the article itself.

It's the same song and dance with you, jjoyce. Someone comes online and comments constructively about something the Isthmus produces. You counter with an argument that usually contains some substance, but always hints at disdain for anyone who disagrees with your point of view. The commentator then proceeds with the argument only for you pull the "anonymous criticism is not legitimate" card. End of discussion on your end.

I presented a legitimate critique of three pieces as examples of what I perceive to be a larger problem that is obviously having real-world effects at your paper. You counter that I am missing something. Great, we disagree. But to insinuate that I have motives other than to elevate the quality of your paper is dishonest and disingenuous.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:54 am

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:Says the guy who uses this website like a sad personal ad. I think I speak for everyone when I say I look forward to hearing more about the "poetry of your soul."

In that case, everyone can kiss my ass.

You do your thing; I'll do mine. But what you won't see me do is pathetically whine about the judgements of the Isthmus editorial board. If such a thing really mattered to me, I'd be doing something...you know...effectual about it - instead of spewing some trivial exercise in masturbatory snark.

If you want to waste your time on stupid, meaningless gestures go nuts. It fits your psychological profile.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:08 am

Marvell wrote:If such a thing really mattered to me, I'd be doing something...you know...effectual about it - instead of spewing some trivial exercise in masturbatory snark.

You mean like writing one long, reasoned letter to the editor? I am not sure I can do anything "effectual" about my complaints other than write these posts, as I have done for more than a year and a half. Of course, Isthmus considers itself a one-way conduit of information -- unless of course it wants to pick excerpts from this site to enhance it publication--and above the comments of its readers. You're right, why bother.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:30 am

fatthegangster.com is unregistered. for a little under a hundred bucks a year, you too could have a voice. the web is pretty democratic and if you add something to the conversation other than just static disapproval, readers will find you.

Or you could offer to help the paper by applying. Isthmus is always looking for writers and more stories and more points of view. Anything I write is usually the collaboration of myself, the subject, and the editor who approves my story. Nothing one-way about that.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”