Editors Editing Posts

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Editors Editing Posts

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:56 pm

It appears that the company that owns this forum has a policy of editing user's posts. If a user edits their own post, there is a note added. But how does one tell if the admin has edited a users message? Does admin only delete words, or will they also add to posts?

BTW, please don't view these questions as contempt for the community. I'm still as happy as a unicorn covered in glitter; just wondering about the details of this new policy. (Assuming it is a new policy; for all I know this may have been occuring since TDP launched.)

Tho, of course, everytime I read comments I now have to ask myself: Is that really what they said, or is it what the editors of Isthmus made it out to be?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Editors Editing Posts

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:02 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:It appears that the company that owns this forum has a policy of editing user's posts. If a user edits their own post, there is a note added. But how does one tell if the admin has edited a users message? Does admin only delete words, or will they also add to posts?

BTW, please don't view these questions as contempt for the community. I'm still as happy as a unicorn covered in glitter; just wondering about the details of this new policy. (Assuming it is a new policy; for all I know this may have been occuring since TDP launched.)

Tho, of course, everytime I read comments I now have to ask myself: Is that really what they said, or is it what the editors of Isthmus made it out to be?

Evidence? Exhibits? Or just wild speculation?

And I quoted your post so you can lift the visor on your fighter helmet long enough to read my comment and respond.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:09 pm

How do we know that you're the real Peanutbutter and not some impostor?

Actually, it used to put that little note on the bottom regardless of who edited a post. I don't know why or when it stopped. The fact is that nobody has edited a post using the admin account around here in a long time, but recent events have led to an error in judgement. The new policy is that posts that run afoul will simply be deleted, not edited, and that's been reflected on that particular thread, where the offending post is now gone altogether.

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm

jjoyce wrote:The new policy is that posts that run afoul will simply be deleted, not edited, and that's been reflected on that particular thread, where the offending post is now gone altogether.

Thank you for revising that bad policy and thank you for this prompt reply.

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:51 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Evidence? Exhibits? Or just wild speculation?

The evidence/exhibit that I am personally aware of has since been deleted by Isthmus Publishing. It is not just wild speculation; their spokesperson has confirmed it occured.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm making it up as I go along. And anyone else doing this job anywhere else who suggests otherwise is lying.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:56 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Evidence? Exhibits? Or just wild speculation?

The evidence/exhibit that I am personally aware of has since been deleted by Isthmus Publishing. It is not just wild speculation; their spokesperson has confirmed it occured.

Obviously, my foresight failed me as I submitted my comment seven minutes before Jason posted his.

So, PB, would you like me to go back and edit my post to reflect your preferred position?

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:09 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Obviously, my foresight failed me as I submitted my comment seven minutes before Jason posted his.

I did not mean for my answer to your question to be taken as contempt for you not being aware of what occured. I'm sorry if you saw my response as a personal attack, but I can't see why you are taking it that way. You asked, I answered. No big deal.

So, PB, would you like me to go back and edit my post to reflect your preferred position?

If you always edit your questions after they have been answered, then go ahead. Or if looking back on your comments you now feel ashamed of anything you said then feel free to re-visit them. What I "like" has nothing to do with what you choose to write or re-write.

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:17 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm making it up as I go along.

You are or Isthmus Publishing is?

The reason I ask is that several months ago there was a big deal made about the fact that you are no longer the only administrator for this forum and it was now going to be a team effort from a few different employees of the company. Has recent cutbacks and layoffs changed that policy back to the way it used to be?

I don't ask that question with hostility, just curious as to how my favorite forum in the whole world wide internet gets things done.

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:40 pm

jjoyce wrote:The new policy is that posts that run afoul will simply be deleted, not edited, and that's been reflected on that particular thread, where the offending post is now gone altogether.

I commend your new policy. Thank you.

admin
Forum Addict

Postby admin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:30 am

Peanutbutter wrote:Has recent cutbacks and layoffs changed that policy back to the way it used to be?

The admin account on this board continues to be accessed by at least three members of the Digital Media Department. Any and all are encouraged to monitor the board and administer it accordingly.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:04 am

First rule about being banned on TDPF Do NOT talk about the people who are banned. Well that's what I assume since my post about such lasted about 30 seconds. I'm all about cleaning up but that just seems a little too Big Brother for me.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”