Pug Mahones TDP Review

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:48 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:For fuck's sake. I take it all back. Better? I un-publish the review. Everyone pretend you never saw it. In fact, clear your cache, give away your computer, and start over from scratch.

It's a style. It's my style. Would you rather I assumed that all you people are morons who won't notice that all I'm talking about is jalapeno fucking poppers? Or would you rather I tried to make an admittedly thin review into something at least mildly entertaining, if not the most informative?

TDP had the full right to say "Thanks, Kyle, but this review is crap. We're not publishing it. We appreciate the effort, maybe next time."

They didn't.

Hey The (B)ook Police, criticism is inevitable. :) You did a good job with the task at hand.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:53 pm

Forgive me for feeling like this isn't so much criticism as manning a station at the dunk tank. Everyone gets to step up and throw the same ratty old thing at me.

Thank you for the tempered compliment (and I know what you did there, juanton). Next week I get to eat the asshole out of a pig. It's what's on the menu. Stay tuned.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:03 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Forgive me for feeling like this isn't so much criticism as manning a station at the dunk tank. Everyone gets to step up and throw the same ratty old thing at me.

Thank you for the tempered compliment (and I know what you did there, juanton). Next week I get to eat the asshole out of a pig. It's what's on the menu. Stay tuned.

As a musician type, as played on TV, I must say that I like the cut of your jib. We all take shit too seriously. I can't wait to see the pig rim job article.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:01 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Next week I get to eat the asshole out of a pig.

I figured TDP would get you and Blaska together sooner or later.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:48 am

bluethedog wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Next week I get to eat the asshole out of a pig.

I figured TDP would get you and Blaska together sooner or later.

I thought he was talking about hot dogs.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:10 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Or would you rather I tried to make an admittedly thin review into something at least mildly entertaining, if not the most informative?

TDP had the full right to say "Thanks, Kyle, but this review is crap. We're not publishing it. We appreciate the effort, maybe next time."

They didn't.

Please don't believe you made the proverbial lemonade out of lemons with this article. You got caught with your pants down because you relied on someone else's information about the grill's closing time--that one's on you (and despite what jjoyce says, a grill's closing time is not news). Then, when faced with the decision about whether to bag the article after discovering the grill was closed, you chose to address the appetizers and the decor--finishing your thoughts on the popper jam with, "it was fine." Well then.

Lastly, I have enjoyed several of your reviews for their research and insight (botanical gelati for instance) but encourage you to aim higher than Isthmus standards when preparing your reviews. Just because the Isthmus editors accept your ideas and print your materials doesn't mean you can't elevate the level of discourse appearing in their pages and our screens. Too often times we readers are forced to endure space filler and last-minute puff pieces instead of substantive journalism or criticism. Consider being the exception.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:18 am

Thank you for your feedback.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:21 am

I see TDP Eats section says they serve until 9 pm. Did it always read as such or was it changed after TBP found out they stopped serving then?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:42 am

It was changed after my draft was submitted.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz= ... win+served

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”