Pug Mahones TDP Review

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Pug Mahones TDP Review

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:28 pm

Really? An entire entry about what you didn't or couldn't tryat this restaurant? I don't know if you had a deadline and no ideas or the editorial staff here is super uncreative, but this entry contributes next to nothing about this establishment. It reminds me of the bland observations appearing elsewhere in this digital rag. Could someone please step up their game?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:43 pm

It was a last-minute fill-in. Deadlines. You pretty much got it. I wasn't a whole lot happier about the situation than you apparently are, but there was a space to fill and not a lot of time available.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:58 am

TheBookPolice wrote:It was a last-minute fill-in. Deadlines. You pretty much got it. I wasn't a whole lot happier about the situation than you apparently are, but there was a space to fill and not a lot of time available.

Then why bother?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:06 am

I'll defer on answering that, since it's not my job to determine timing.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:56 am

That was kind of odd!

Here's my review, from 4/22/08:

http://www.madison.com/post/blogs/freshfoods/282607

Excerpt:

Pug Mahones aims to cut through the gentrification of the Willy Street area and provide a clean and hospitable bar where you can watch the game on a big-screen TV, order a Bud on tap, eat a bacon sandwich or a burger, and unwind a little bit after a hard day at work.

They've only been open for one week today, but business has been pretty good. Low prices are a key part of the strategy, and the soon-to-be-expanded menu features soups, french fries, BLT's, burgers, and chips. There is no brie, no balsamic drizzle, and no caramelized onion available for your burger, either.

There is, however, a solid-looking pool table, a row of video slots, sports and rock memorabilia, and a dart board.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:02 am

Out of curiosity, c_r, what did you eat when you were there?

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:15 am

but the place was clean and didn't smell badly at all.

Was it also not on fire? And why not mention the lack of wild animals? Or the fact that you didn't see any date rapes while you were there? And how does it feel to the touch? Was it not really sticky at all?

I'm curious Kyle, do you usually enter unfamiliar bars ASSUMING they're gonna be smelly and dirty? Or do you reserve that attitude only for last-minute assignments?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:18 am

They say they serve food until 10 and that wasn't the case when Kyle dropped in. As a result, he offered an honest review of what they did have on hand.

It's noteworthy that a bar shuts down its grill at 9 on a weeknight.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:33 am

jjoyce wrote:It's noteworthy that a bar shuts down its grill at 9 on a weeknight.

You have got to be kidding me. I think a senior citizen just missed the bus in Middleton. Hopefully you have your best people on it.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:01 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:I'm curious Kyle, do you usually enter unfamiliar bars ASSUMING they're gonna be smelly and dirty?

My assumption is that people in my position--who don't often hang out in bars--might be less apprehensive of doing so if their stereotypical expectations of a poorly lit, grimy place were dashed.

And yeah, not to throw TDP under the bus or blame them for anything, but the Eats entry for Pug Mahones stated that the grill was on until 10. Dems the breaks.

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:06 pm

I am suprised no one has mentioned the hot bartender and her sexy boots.

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:18 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:My assumption is that people in my position--who don't often hang out in bars.....

People in your position?
Is this the position you're in? 'Cuz it looks like there's not much of a view of the real world from way up there.

Your response begs the question, why would you review a bar from the perspective of someone who doesn't like bars? You might just have well have typed "people who like this sort of place will find this the sort of place they like" and gone home to the book-lined walls of your windowless apartment where, I presume, it doesn't really smell badly at all (as opposed to the poorly-lit, grimy apartments of regular bar dwellers, right?)

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:17 pm

You're reading an awful lot into my comments, not to mention misconstruing them (probably deliberately, but who knows?).

I wrote:My assumption is that people in my position--who don't often hang out in bars

You wrote:from the perspective of someone who doesn't like bars?

See the difference?

Ask a person who wouldn't normally think to have a meal in a bar why they wouldn't do so, and I suspect my interpretation will be borne out; people who don't have the experience to know better will assume all bars are like the worst bars--dark, dirty, and unappetizing.

And I have to say, I don't understand the personal vitriol you've directed at me for--let's speak clearly here--a restaurant/bar review with which you disagree. How that translates into taking shots at my lifestyle, or the way I view other people, I just don't get.

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:03 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
I wrote:My assumption is that people in my position--who don't often hang out in bars

You wrote:from the perspective of someone who doesn't like bars?

See the difference?

I see the hair-splitting.
People who like bars tend to be the ones who hang out in them, doncha think? Thus my Lincoln paraphrase earlier. And a person who wouldn;t normally think to have a meal in a bar probably isn't going to change their mind if the best compliment you can give is that it "didn't smell badly at all." (You really don't see that comment as either snobby or a backhanded compliment huh?)

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:13 pm

It was meant to be funny. I'll be sure to send you an advance copy for humor approval next time Linda goes on vacation.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”