Service recommendation section?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Service recommendation section?

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:17 pm

I've seen some excellent examples of people asking for advice on roofers, tree removal services, etc. over the years and they all generally land in places like Catch All or Town Vibe.

I think this is some really valuable information and I'm wondering if we shouldn't bust it out into its own spot. I've always taken a pretty hands-off attitude toward where these things should go, and I think people like fewer general threads as opposed to many specific threads. But I'm getting a different message from others (ie. my colleagues, advertisers, other message board-running know-it-alls).

What do you think?

Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Service recommendation section?

Postby Dulouz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:08 pm

jjoyce wrote:I've seen some excellent examples of people asking for advice on roofers, tree removal services, etc. over the years and they all generally land in places like Catch All or Town Vibe.

I think this is some really valuable information and I'm wondering if we shouldn't bust it out into its own spot. I've always taken a pretty hands-off attitude toward where these things should go, and I think people like fewer general threads as opposed to many specific threads. But I'm getting a different message from others (ie. my colleagues, advertisers, other message board-running know-it-alls).

What do you think?

I think the lest headers the better. If something is worth discussing, people will flock to it, but (as in the MAGNET section), if it is truly dull, it will be ignored. Advertisers need to target their people; on the other hand, the forum offers the opportunity to completely defeat advertising. A more general board is going to be their friend rather than a board focused on their niche that has previous customers trashing them.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:25 pm

I think this runs in streaks, with late summer being a busy time for home repair and remodeling.

Still, having one section dedicated to recommendations might be helpful because people wouldn't have to ask the same question over and over, since they could all be archived together.

Should it be only a home-repair-recommendations section, or for all recommendations? People ask about lots of other stuff: dentists and car repair come to mind.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:28 pm

We should have a section with just MadMind's questions about how to keep Windows '95 ticking away for a few more years.

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Shouldn't it go under Hype Exchange?

:lol:

Janet Spank

Postby Janet Spank » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:31 am

Yes. Kind of like an open source Angie's List.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could generate revenues from a posting board that delivered detailed reviews for worthy contractors, bad reviews for unscrupulous operators, and open source checks and balances in order to screen out anonymous contractor PR.

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:37 am

Janet Spank wrote:Yes. Kind of like an open source Angie's List.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could generate revenues from a posting board that delivered detailed reviews for worthy contractors, bad reviews for unscrupulous operators, and open source checks and balances in order to screen out anonymous contractor PR.

Agree agree agree.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:42 am

I'd expand the idea to not just be service reviews but also any local business. I'm pick where I shop, not just where I eat.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:40 am

I think it is a great idea.
What's that one site where you have to PAY to write reviews, Jenny's list or something? Screw them.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Re-reading posts - yes Angie's list - that is the name.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:21 am

I'm in favor of a recommendation-type section as well. It'd be handy not only in that people would know where to post stuff, but also that it'd be there for reference (and would be easy to find).

I received a really good recommendation about where to take my car for some transmission work a little while ago; I believe there is much collective wisdom in this forum when it comes to local businesses.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”