Please help me figure out how to RSS TDP on my Yahoo page.

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Please help me figure out how to RSS TDP on my Yahoo page.

Postby Bunny Chow » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:27 am

This conversation was started up on another thread.

Obviously I'm not fit to lead the country because I still cannot figure out how to add TDP on My Yahoo via the RSS feeds.

I was able to get WMTV (NBC15) but that's because they made it easy with a little button.

I'd like to get the forums and the daily from this site up there too.

It that possible?

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:33 am

OK, somehow I was able to get TDP's Daily RSS feed on My Yahoo but I have no clue how I did it.

At this point I'm just pushing buttons.

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:37 am

I take that back. I think Yahoo subscribed me to TDP automatically when I asked them to taylor my page to my local area. I see that madison.com was added too and I know for a fact I didn't do that.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:20 am

You can use a Mozilla plugin like Sage or a dedicated RSS reader like SharpReader to read RSS feeds. (Firefox even lets you read RSS feeds directly using Live Bookmarks).

Once you've got the app running, click "add feed" and copy and paste this url for the forum:

http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/rss.php

I wouldn't screw around with My Yahoo, that software will only annoy you, as I can see you've discovered.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:25 am

I use google reader, largely because it loads at home, work, and phone.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:43 am

Another vote for Google reader. I'm done with Yahoo for all but Flickr. Oh, and NCAA tournament pools.

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:00 am

OK, you talked me into ditching yahoo...and now I'll waste more of my time on google reader figuring that out.

I'll never get to be president of the United States this way.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:43 am

Once you set up a Google Reader account, simply clicking on an RSS feed link takes you to a screen that allows you to add it to your Reader or your Google Homepage. That's it.

You can organize your feeds pretty easily in Google reader and manage them with tools for sharing, starring, emailing, etc. You can set up a feed for your starred items and allow your entourage to subscribe so they'll be prepared to discuss things you're interested in at your next cocktail party.

I'm all over Google Calendar as well, which syncs to Outlook and sends reminders via SMS to my phone. Good stuff.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:51 am

I just set up google reader and linked to it on my iphone they have a site formatted specifically for it. From what I can tell its still the best option there are some new apps but none of them had very good reviews. I just switched my calendar from the google one to the mobile me one so it will push to and from my phone. Nothing wrong with the google calendar though.

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:13 pm

ARG! I can't figure this shit out.

This is what I want. I want a homepage that is sectioned into boxes featuring all my favorite news sources, myspace and pandora. I want a pretty background color and I want my stock ticker to update on it's own.

Is this possible? I'm trying to figure out windows live now.

I think I'll have to get some guy to do this for me.

Quid Pro Quo

Postby Quid Pro Quo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:43 pm

I've played around with all of them and none of them give me exactly what I want, so I decided to get Visual Web Developer and make my own. It's trickier than I thought. :(

Has anyone else tried netvibes?

http://www.netvibes.com

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:10 pm

I like that Netvibes thing. Goodbye Google Reader we shared quite the week together.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:09 pm

I've been playing with netvibes all day. I really like the set-up. it appears to be very Apple-esque possibly Mac based. love it though. so far way better than the google reader.

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:15 pm

Netvibes looks totally cool. Unfortunately, I am good for shit after 3pm when it comes to this stuff and I will take a good look at this tomorrow morning.

My celebrity status may someday very well make me the president, but my internetabilities never will.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”