Hainstock cover story

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Wanda
Forum Addict

Postby Wanda » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:27 am

Veeder wrote:While I think the story was a worthwhile read it would have been decent to have devoted a small section to his victim and his victim's family and children as well.

Here you go, Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 5,960 for "john klang". Read away.

What made the article unique is that it was the one of the few, if not only, article that gave Hainstocks perspective in a fair and balanced manner. Hainstocks actions should not be diminished and he needs to be held responsible for his actions, but there are plenty of stories that have been done solely from the point of view of the victims. What has been missed up to this point is that Eric is also a victim in this tragedy. Isthmus did an excellent job of reporting that without diminishing Eric's responsibility for the crime that took Mr Klang's life.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:57 am

Veeder wrote:While I think the story was a worthwhile read it would have been decent to have devoted a small section to his victim and his victim's family and children as well.

Without the respect of a few details about the true victim(s) of his crime readers' sympathy may easily become slightly misappropriated.

I'd be more inclined to agree if this was some random kid and a low-profile crime, but this case has gotten so much coverage in the local media it would just be a gratuitous rehash. If someone wasn't around for the media circus in '06, they surely heard about the Klangs as finalists for Extreme Makeover during the past couple of months.

James Thom

Eric Hainstock Comments on Isthmus

Postby James Thom » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:03 pm

When you read the interview you can sense the anguish.
That the boy did wrong is a given! He understands this. For so many to call him a liar is a way for them to all try to get out of the fact that they, the State, The school, his own father, CPS and how many others let down a kid they were all sworn to protect!
Why was that?
A judge! A judge for Gods sake in the state of wisconsin sent an abused boy back to the parents who provided most of that abuse! Why were no sanctions placed on him?
CPS failed to check the situtation. Why did that happen? Why was no one at the agency brought to task for that?
Why does his father still walk the streets? A free man? Were they not his guns? Was he even supposed to own them?
There are many , Many things in this case to be reexamined and questioned!

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:18 pm

I would say that given Eric's mental illness there is little chance that his side of the story regarding his childhood is not exagerrated.
Borderline personality disorder is near impossible to treat- the best you can usually do is not feed into the attention seeking behavior.
As far as the system failing Eric; its a tough situation when the more attention you give a kid, the more you are feeding into his illness to need for almost constant drama and attention.
Eric is stable now because he has a rigid enviroment that he has little ability to manipulate. Its where he belongs and where he should stay. Hopefully 25 years in this enviroment will be enough to undo the damage in his psyche.

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:59 pm

The whole story is a tragedy all around. However, in his second letter, Eric Hainstock clearly asked Lueders not to make a particular part of the letter public. Why not redact it? I'm sure that some would argue that he didn't deserve any extra sympathy, but couldn't Lueders (or another staff member) have redacted that part? Certainly Hainstock's dignity -- whatever he had left -- had been shredded enough already.

Forgive me for paying close attention.

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:17 am

JJoyce- Any chance you can remove this part of Eric's letter which he asked you not to share?

It seems rather unprofessional to have not redacted this-seems like the kid could get a serious beat down in prison if this gets back to them.

Wanda
Forum Addict

Postby Wanda » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:03 am

The second letter is now down from the website. Excellent work, forons!

James Thom

Eric Hainstock Paper and Ink version

Postby James Thom » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:26 pm

I should have commented the last time! To have brought out the part about being Bi. How did you document that? Was it hearsay? Could it have been something his father mentioned? Or did Eric tell you that himself?
You are either wet behind the ears or have very little knowledge of the workings of an adult Facility!
What you managed to do with that little piece of Information was to place a Bulls Eye on the kids back!
That is not something discussed in there. You should have used better judgement.
If that tid bit came from Eric you should have thought a lot deeper than you did. Even if he believes it ask yourself how Pray tell did he ever act on it with out any friends? With no one willing to be seen with him?
The boy is far too young to be branded one way or another.
How many Pedophiles do you think are incarserated in Green Bay? I bet the figure would blow your mind!
Other than for that the interview was done well and fairly!
Next time THINK before you print! Your editor should have caught that as well! Tell him to smarten up as well!

voter

Postby voter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:37 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:I've had the opportunity to work with borderline personality disorders in the past and this Eric Hainstock seems to be a classic case. I also know this disorder is almost impossible to effectively treat-I believe the DSM-IV has no real recommendations for treatment.

You've both diagnosed a kid you've never met and declared him untreatable?

Open the DSM-IV 4th Edition and read “text has been added to the course section to emphasize that, contrary to many clinicians’ preconceived notions, the prognosis for many individuals with Borderlines Personality Disorder is good.â€Â

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:16 pm

Never said he couldn't be treated, but the part of the DSM you've quoted isn't exactly reassuring for remission. BPD comes in different levels of severity just like most illnesses. And like most illness, the less severe the better the prognosis.

Considering he murdered someone, I'd say that puts him in the severe category with little chance for remission.

James Thom

Postby James Thom » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:24 pm

Not to fuel this debate too much more I just want to say a few things.
While I also am not a doctor I was however a medic in the Army in 1970. [Combat type]
Upon my return to the states I was stationed in a fort in NYC. It was the Primary care position for the entire metro area! Retired as well as active duty personel. Eventually I was assigned to work with a Psychiatrist on a drug program. I worked extensively with this guy. Sometimes even sitting in on a group session.
To say that any shrink can know exactly what is wrong with a persons mind is Impossible. That I got straight from the doc himself!
Its all simply a guess on the doctors part! Granted its an educated guess but a guess just the same.
For ANY ONE to venture a guess on Erics state at the time is inexcuseable. Especially if you arent in the medical profession. So please dont!
If it is your personal opinion that is fine but dont bring in any medical terms or thoughts!

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:11 pm

Now them is writing words!
Big difference between this gutsy detailed insightful piece and Mendel(w)hatever's puff pap.

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:50 pm

So let me get this straight- no personal opinions- on a message board. And if you are going to give an opinion, make sure not to use any of that medical mumbo jumbo to back it up.

Thanks for straightening me out, sorry for the opinion.

James Thom

Eric Hainstock Paper and ink version

Postby James Thom » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:13 pm

No you interpeted my post wrong! I did not say for you to not leave an opinion.
What I said was if you arent a medical person ie doctor or medical personel you should not offer a medical opinion! You have NO background! Simply put your opinion has no merrit! All it does is fog up the arena!
That is no different from a prosecutor trying the case in the media before it ever gets to a jury! That is called Poisoning the jury pool!

Wanda
Forum Addict

Re: Eric Hainstock Paper and ink version

Postby Wanda » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:47 pm

James Thom wrote: What I said was if you aren't a medical person i.e. doctor or medical personnel you should not offer a medical opinion!

Well, it would also be unethical for a licensed medical/mental health professional (i.e. psychologist, psychiatrist, social worker, psychiatric nurse, etc) to offer up an armchair diagnosis without having personally reviewed the patient's files and/or personally interviewed the patient. Not to mention the other issue of professional/patient confidentiality.

I'm assuming dbc was merely offering an armchair assessment as a novice, intended only as personal opinion on a public forum, not a licensed professional's assessment that will have any bearing on Eric Hainstock's future...so no harm, no foul.
Last edited by Wanda on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”