Hainstock cover story

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Hainstock cover story

Postby Bad Gradger » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:50 pm

This week's cover story on Eric Hainstock is outstanding. Far from sensationalizing a tragedy, it provides valuable insight into how a young man was driven to do such a terrible thing, without apologizing for him or absolving him of responsibility. The article raises questions about complex issues like community and justice without ham-handed attempts to answer them, empathizing with a killer without glorifying him.

Kudos to Bill Lueders for this one.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:49 am

Forgive me for a little marketing here, but don't forget to call up the web extras on this one. The first includes copies of letters Hainstock sent to Isthmus.

The second is a letter Hainstock wrote to Klang's widow and the third is a summary of internet discussions about the murder.

Right Bower
Forum Addict

Re: Hainstock cover story

Postby Right Bower » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:19 am

Bad Gradger wrote:This week's cover story on Eric Hainstock is outstanding. Far from sensationalizing a tragedy, it provides valuable insight into how a young man was driven to do such a terrible thing, without apologizing for him or absolving him of responsibility. The article raises questions about complex issues like community and justice without ham-handed attempts to answer them, empathizing with a killer without glorifying him.

Kudos to Bill Lueders for this one.

I wholeheartedly agree; the story is excellent. And yeah Jason, the web extras are great too. Well done all.

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:21 am

I concur, the article was very well written and balanced.
I've had the opportunity to work with borderline personality disorders in the past and this Eric Hainstock seems to be a classic case. I also know this disorder is almost impossible to effectively treat-I believe the DSM-IV has no real recommendations for treatment. Prison seems like a win-win for society and for Eric- he's stable and we're safe. Let's hope he stays there happy for a long, long time.

benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:11 am

i loved the article. it was informative, unbiased, and 'touching.'

glad to see the isthmus can still print good stories.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:12 pm

Same here. Excellent story.

God I hope you guys get the financial thing straightened out and keep on printing. I remember picking up the very first Isthmus and I hope I never experience picking up the last one.

Cari Barichello

Eric Hainstock

Postby Cari Barichello » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:43 pm

Although I agree that the defense team made erronious mistakes, it still doesn't erase the fact that they were close to Eric and got to know the true, abused, neglected boy. I can't imagine Rhoda's pain and anguish and do wish her well.

It seems as if we always find our way back to the same statement: The juvenile system doesn't allow confinement or supervision beyond age 25.

Couldn't it, wouldn't it be more feasible to raise that age limit? For the sake of a child, like Eric, to get the help he needs but for a longer period. Age should not be so easily regarded when it comes to rehabilitating a child in desperate need. Why so black and white, final and cut?

I am glad Eric aired his side of the story. Can anyone blame him? No one listened for years and now that another life has been lost(Erics) and the honorable John Klangs, perhaps now the community can look at this objectively and learn from it.

In the mean time, our legislatures need to reform our judicial system to save those children in need, not just warehouse them at taxpayers expense. Lastly, children are not adults no matter how we spin it.

www.justiceforjuveniles.org

Wanda
Forum Addict

Postby Wanda » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Not to minimize what Eric did, but it is just horrifying and sad how the adults in his life failed him. They're the ones who broke this kid and should share the culpability, not in Klang's death, but in failing to live up to the responsibility of taking care of this child and creating this broken soul.

Great story and thanks for telling it, Isthmus.
Last edited by Wanda on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Eric Hainstock

Postby jjoyce » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:22 pm

Cari Barichello wrote:Can anyone blame him?

I think it's possible to be sympathetic to Hainstock's life story and still hold him responsible for murdering someone. His actions are no more justified than the crimes committed against him.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:57 pm

jjoyce wrote:

I think it's possible to be sympathetic to Hainstock's life story and still hold him responsible for murdering someone. His actions are no more justified than the crimes committed against him.

I think Cari meant, "Can anyone blame him for wanting to tell his story?"

At least that's how I read that, rather than suggesting that this unfortunate and screwed-up kid is blameless in this whole deal.

Apologies to the poster if my interpretation of that comment is incorrect.

Cari Barichello

Postby Cari Barichello » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:51 pm

Yes Mean Scenester that is exactly what I meant. Can anyone blame him for wanting to tell his side of the story. Quite frankly, it is about high time people listen and register what this child went through in their brains. Thanks for interpreting me the correct way.

Jjoyce, if you would have read my statement over, no where did I say that Eric is blameless nor should go unpunished. That is not what I stand for nor what my organization stands for.

Childrens cases need to be handled on a "Case By Case" basis. Each child is different, yet each child is exactly what we portray him to be...a minor...a kid....not an adult. Mandatory sentencing is not a "One Size Fits All" solution.

It's kids like Eric or Cody Posey of New Mexico that never get the help they need until a family member is killed or another Columbine disaster happens. I've advocated for kids for years and I feel what needs to change is our handle on the juvenile/adult system. That starts with our legislators who need to get off their duppas and realize kids are worth working for.

I might add, I have spoken many times to John Klangs wife who is a wonderful soul. She knows where we stand and understands it. After all, her husband was probably closer to Eric than anyone. There are two sides to every story, and I am forever greatful for this editorial. It was excellently written and completely fair. I also write a bi-weekly column for my local paper so I know how hard it can be to equal sides.

No ill will here jjoyce. Hope you understand now where I am coming from.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:15 pm

jjoyce wrote:

That was one of the big things I appreciated about the article - it made clear that lots of people failed Eric, including Eric.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:27 pm

Having known a couple people with borderline personality disorder diagnosis, I can tell you it's a frightening thing. The person has a reasonable, appealing side and then another side that is, well, insane. Not insane in a harmlessly dippy way, but dangerously insane. Also, they have the ability to play somebody by using the "nice and normal" part to draw them in, and then at some point the scary side comes out and the drawn-in person, usually quite innocent, can quickly become a victim. This will be a repeated behavior pattern, not just a one-time stress fracture.

I don't know how you identify people who will always put society at risk if they're set free. But it's not just repeater sex predators that need to be in this category. Here's another situation with a lot of gray areas where a mistake can be fatal. There's no easy solution, just a lot of questions.

Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:17 pm

While I think the story was a worthwhile read it would have been decent to have devoted a small section to his victim and his victim's family and children as well.

Without the respect of a few details about the true victim(s) of his crime readers' sympathy may easily become slightly misappropriated.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:18 am

The same way they are if you only get the details from the victims point of view-but I doubt anyone would advocate adding a sympathetic-or at least fair-profile of the perp to every story about the victim

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”