Eisen leaving paper!

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Eisen leaving paper!

Postby robbie webber » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:42 pm

This just in.
http://www.madison.com/tct/news/stories/297871

I figured it should be a separate thread from the layoff one.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Whatever they are paying Blaska they should cut that as well.

admin
Forum Addict

Postby admin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:03 pm

The original announcement on this news is in this week's Making the Paper.

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:21 pm

Sorry to link to the competition, but somehow I missed that in the paper and The Daily Page. I guess I expected something that big to be a headline.

Wanda
Forum Addict

Postby Wanda » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:19 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Whatever they are paying Blaska they should cut that as well.

They should also ask for a refund for whatever they've already paid Archie for the predictable swill he slings. In addition, it would be prudent for the blogosphere, in the name of cyber-justice, to demand Blaska's waste of bandwidth be returned as well.

Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Eisen, the rock

Postby Broadsheet » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:27 pm

Well, it appears nobody knows how to respond to the topic, probably because nobody knows how to utter a word of praise in these forums. So I will.

Marc Eisen is a great editor and his loss will be a huge blow to city.

Eisen has been the steady hand that has for years kept Isthmus credible, kept it from being bullied by the left, the right, or the legions of special pleaders, mean-spirited snipers and cheap-shot artists that plague Madison. At the same time he has been tough and brave in backing his paper's investigations. He is steady, sure-footed, knowledgeable, sober, unflappable, and a skeptic, not a knee-jerk partisan.

I expect we may see some loss of tightness, taste and care in editing, which is crucial in a weekly that depends so much on contributors. Editors are basically paid for news judgment, and Eisen's has been shown to be pitch-perfect.

He's also a fine reporter. His global portrait of downtown development a couple of years ago showed a national-league talent at work, and his recent work on Epic set the stage for a statewide debate on the politics of the big-business lobby.

Eisen has been a gift to the reading public. His loss is unacceptable. I wish him well and look for big things.

Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Genie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:12 am

I wish him well, too. I didn't always agree with him, but he is a very intelligent writer and his opinions and his journalistic skills will be missed. Madison will be the worse for his loss.

Good luck Marc! :(

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”