Another John Mendels(s)ohn article

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:38 am

It's a well- (perhaps over-) developed sense of self. Something to do with moving overseas and spelling his name differently there than here due to language conventions, and then realizing he wanted to change it back when he came back to the States.

It's kind of obnoxious.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:45 am

Stu Levitan wrote:And, other than jealousy and a deep, desparate desire to show the new guy he's not so hip, what exactly do people have against John? I thought it was an interesting article, with information and insights not found in other media coverage of Denise.

I have discovered two truths about Mendelsohn: Boomers love him, others don't feel similarly. I thought the piece from last week was good, but I have no idea why he started it with an awkwardly adapted line from John Cougar.

He's due for another story here within the next few weeks.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:42 am

I think the jealousy and desire to prove his hipness stem from his being a transplant.
Living on the Isthmus reading a paper about the Isthmus called Isthmus, it sort of rankles when a ferriner shows up unannounced and starts telling the natives about their own hometown.
My beef was that it seems more of a story for the Sunday Wisc Jounral than for Isthmus.
I just feel bad that Jo(h)n and Sally might now be locked in their bathrooms weeping.

Bob Cobb
Forum Addict

Postby Bob Cobb » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:47 am

blunt wrote:What's next, the dreaded return of Tanaya Darlington?

God. Oh God. Shipley and TBP look like Pulitzer material compared to the ghost of Darlington.

How did The Isthmus miss out on Katjusa Cisar?

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:48 am

jjoyce wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:And, other than jealousy and a deep, desparate desire to show the new guy he's not so hip, what exactly do people have against John? I thought it was an interesting article, with information and insights not found in other media coverage of Denise.

I have discovered two truths about Mendelsohn: Boomers love him, others don't feel similarly. I thought the piece from last week was good, but I have no idea why he started it with an awkwardly adapted line from John Cougar.

He's due for another story here within the next few weeks.

here's a truth i've discovered: guys who break everything down along generational lines are goofballs.
why not just tell us that leos love blunt and pisces not so much?

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:55 am

if you are rewinding this thread back to Mendelssohn's article, I would say that I found this article refreshingly candid, resulting in a far more revealing profile of two young artists than various press release cut-and-paste attempts that seem so popular with writers these days.

not to throw any fuel on the fire, but one has to wonder: if the story surrounded a young man and woman from "better" circumstances (suburbia, perhaps?) who suffered similar failures and indignations at the hands of the reality television/music industry, would its subjects be branded as "useless"?

Back when this thread was ostensibly about Mendels(s)ohn's article, I agreed with Stu's opinion. At just shy of 30 years old, I'm not a boomer, and in fact, when discussing Isthmus over drinks the other night with friends of a similar age, a few things became apparent:

1. We all find Mendels(s)ohn quirky and refreshing

2. Most of us find Franson snooty and annoying (not to mention a stale stereotypical representative of our demographic)

3. We're all extremely surprised and saddened by the departure of Tom Laskin

4. It's become abundantly and painfully clear that Isthmus caters to an older crowd.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:58 am

jjoyce wrote:
The Onion is what it is, and I read it every week, but it is definitely no longer a cheeky little college pub from Madison anymore. It's corporate media that is catered to attracting national beverage ad buys. It's also losing pages.

I take it back. I couldn't find one.
Last edited by juanton on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Henry Chinaski

Postby Henry Chinaski » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:06 am

Wow!!!
My intial post was about Mendels(s)ohn implying that it was amazing that Rafeal didn't get raped in prison.

No one picked up on that ?

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:17 am

TheBookPolice wrote:It's a well- (perhaps over-) developed sense of self. Something to do with moving overseas and spelling his name differently there than here due to language conventions, and then realizing he wanted to change it back when he came back to the States.

It's kind of obnoxious.

Yeah, it's "kind of" obnoxious in the same sense that filling the Hindenburg with hydrogen was "kind of" a bad idea.

The fact he felt compelled to change it due to language conventions is almost as pretentious as the affectation itself. Somebody needs to smack this jackass.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:45 am

What difference does it make how he spells his name? It's the man's business.

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:51 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:What difference does it make how he spells his name? It's the man's business.

He's a professional name-speller?

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:55 am

lordofthecockrings wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:What difference does it make how he spells his name? It's the man's business.

He's a professional name-speller?

Too cute by half!

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:09 pm

I think JM's a decent writer. No more, no less.
He's got nothing on Nick Kent or the ghost of Lester Bangs and IMHO that's fine.

What I do like about him is how he's completely upset the townies and transplants alike.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Henry Chinaski wrote:Wow!!!
My intial post was about Mendels(s)ohn implying that it was amazing that Rafeal didn't get raped in prison.

No one picked up on that ?

I know.
He's cute. I would have raped him.

Elliot
Forum Addict

Postby Elliot » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:36 pm

I think of him as more of an author, and less of a journalist.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”