if you have nothing nice to say...

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

if you have nothing nice to say...

Postby jammybastard » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:29 pm

Out of all the things in the latest Isthmus the one thing that really bugged me was the half assed review of a video game.
The game is EA Sports "UEFA EURO 2008" for the Xbox 360.
Yes, it's fringe of the fringe in this neck of the woods. Welcome to my neighborhood.

My problem with the review is that it's a waste of space. Why publish something like that?
I don't expect the Isthmus to throw down like Gamespot/IGN/Kotaku, etc...but this is really pathetic.

It's clear that the reviewer 1. didn't really play the game, and 2. was predisposed to dislike it because it's a soccer game and therefore not American enough.
Funny how the one thing he doesn't like, the very specific attention to detail in the control scheme, yet this is the kind of thing that Madden fanboys love about that game. You want complicated control schemes?
Madden is the king, and that's a "America" as they come.

Euro 2008 is sublime in every way.
Like Madden it's not a button mashing arcade title.
It's about timing, reading the play, finesse, strategy, etc...everything a great sports game should be. That's why it's getting excellent reviews everywhere else but the Isthmus. The one criticism it's getting is that it's a full price title yet there are no club teams, but then it's would be FIFA09.

One important note about Euro 2008. It proves that EA now makes the best soccer simulation for the console.
It used to be that Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer was the gold standard, but last year Konami completely ruined their game while trying to make the jump to next gen. It didn't work, and now EA owns the market.

reality

Snobbiness

Postby reality » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:47 am

Ithsmus, it's writers, reviewers, etc. is a reflection of how snobby Madison has become. I never trust their reviews. I used to really enjoy the Ithsmus because they weren't like the other city newspapers but they are becoming more and more like them. They don't even list karaoke in the club sections. They apparently don't think the voice is an instrument or that vocalists are 'real' musicians.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:01 am

They apparently don't think the voice is an instrument or that vocalists are 'real' musicians.

While I can agree that the voice is an instrument I cannot agree that Karaoke singers are musicians. Or that karaoke should be listed aside bands and DJ's in the club section. I don't think I'm alone here.

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:10 am

fisticuffs wrote:
They apparently don't think the voice is an instrument or that vocalists are 'real' musicians.

While I can agree that the voice is an instrument I cannot agree that Karaoke singers are musicians. Or that karaoke should be listed aside bands and DJ's in the club section. I don't think I'm alone here.

No, you are not alone.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Snobbiness

Postby Shipley » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:49 am

reality wrote:Ithsmus, it's writers, reviewers, etc. is a reflection of how snobby Madison has become.

Isthmus video game articles are written by syndicated columnist Doug Elfman, who lives and works in Las Vegas.

I've been trying to make my case to replace him. Its likely they have a contract and can't simply stop running him and put someone local in place, but I think I've proven I can write here, and have been running a successful game blog and video series for almost 3 years.

I might also add some game cred: I was the first person in line for the Sega Dreamcast on September 9, 1999, have played and won Mario Kart for cash, and completed Chrono Trigger enough times to see all 15 endings.

reality

Postby reality » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Anyone who plays an instrument is at least an amateur musician. I wouldn't say a music artist tho'. Karaoke is part of the music scene. Many people who don't pursue music as a career use karaoke as an outlet to do something they love to do. I know many vocalist in bands that go to karaokes, probably as practice. Plus the fun atmosphere.

I'm not sure I would list DJ's as musicians, yet there listed in Isthmus. How 'bout it Isthmus? If you want it as a separate section that would work, too.

Currently, I have people calling me to find out where there is karaoke on any given night. 77 square lists some but there new format is hard to read and they aren't very good at updates.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:44 pm

I currently have people asking me where the next Heroclix match will be held. Why aren't the major news and entertainment outlets covering this?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:55 pm

If cover bands are just barely considered the music scene on this board how to expect to sell us on karaoke? Sorry but most of the people singing at karaoke aren't musicians. they're drunk. The ones who ARE musicians "practicing" are musicians only when doing the actual music gig. Saying karaoke is music scene is like saying Guitar Hero is part of the music scene.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:57 pm

And not all DJ's qualify in my opinion. Many of them do but the DJ's doing wedding receptions and corporate gigs playing "Shout" definitely do not. They qualify as "Music Industry" sure but "Music Scene" no not at all.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:28 pm

fisticuffs wrote: Sorry but most of the people singing at karaoke aren't musicians. they're drunk.

And the difference is...?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:43 pm

And the difference is...?

Musicians get more free drinks.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:17 pm

Not to get off the very valid topic of if Karaoke is art, but does anyone have anything to say about game coverage online or in print? This is something actively being debated and if I'm fighting a battle for something no one wants to read, I'd like to know now so I can bow out gracefully and focus on other topics.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:28 pm

I don't often read the game reviews in the paper version of the Isthmus. Most of the reviews I read are online. That being said from what I know about you I enjoy your writing and you seem to have some very wide interests and I would always support this paper using more local talent. And Karaoke isn't music.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:29 pm

The Isthmus' video game reviews are, IMO, one of the weakest links in the paper. They're too short, too lacking in detail, and smack of 15-minutes of game time (if that) before firing up the word processor.

As far as local freebies, The Onion has much better game reviews. However, if you're serious about shopping for a particular game, go online and get multiple reviews from passionate gamers at the many, many sites and forums available.

Also, the closest that karaoke comes to art is a great singer with the Gomers on a song they know well.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:35 am

reality wrote:I know many vocalist in bands that go to karaokes, probably as practice.

And Tiger Woods has probably played mini-golf.

So?

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”