the good ol' days...

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

the good ol' days...

Postby zsa zsa » Fri May 30, 2008 12:04 pm

who remembers when this forum was a fun, and exciting place to visit? It seems like every thread gets turned into a bitch-fest, full of whiny snot-nosed little brats! I used to be the whiny brat, but I don't think I ever went as far as to pick a fight.

It was a nice place to visit....now it seems I rarely post just to stay away from the riff-raff.

there, I have bitched.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri May 30, 2008 12:18 pm

Them's fightin' words! :evil:

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 30, 2008 1:29 pm

I'll say it again. Every now and then, I worry that there are maybe 7-10 real Forons on this site, and the rest are all incarnations of Sheppy.

I usually wake up with cold sweats.

DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby DedeTate » Fri May 30, 2008 2:10 pm

It seems as though the discussion in threads is devolving a lot faster than it used to. Case in point: that CJ version 2.0 apology thread turned into threats of physical violence within about three posts (I would link to it, but it actually wasn't an interesting discussion to start with AND it's already been taken down).

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri May 30, 2008 2:23 pm

There are a few reasons for this, I think.

1. The old-timers, who made this a very, very cool site, don't post that much anymore. They're busy, have left town, got on with their lives, etc. But they used to not only keep things at a high level simply by being smart, they also would not tolerate idiocy. I would come in many mornings to discover that some jerk had received a beat-down overnight and left with his/her tail between his legs. No admin action required.

Make no mistake, Forum was/is special. I talk regularly with web people for other alts who can't get a forum off the ground because it's instantly taken over by jerks. Yes, there are trolls here. But there are also a LOT of people who will chime in with trustworthy and entertaining material. At the Junkers show a couple weeks ago, I probably ran into four or five Forons who are really sweet and hilarious people in real life. We employ a handful of writers and one editor who made names for themselves here before filing under I/TDP bylines.

2. This board is pretty old, relatively speaking. I just read a similar thread about an ultimate discussion board and I think the common view is that stuff isn't what it used to be all over. As "used to be" experiences mount, that will inevitably be true for more and more people.

3. Things suck right now and people come here to relieve stress. That causes some to invent drama and conflict, to the detriment of the board.

4. Maybe we've been too tolerant. Should we get the banning stick (it's more of a yard stick, really) back out?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri May 30, 2008 2:31 pm

jjoyce wrote:The old-timers, who made this a very, very cool site, don't post that much anymore. They're busy, have left town, got on with their lives, etc.
Assuming I qualify as an old-timer, you forgot to mention that some of us were chased away.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri May 30, 2008 4:25 pm

But keep crawling back........

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat May 31, 2008 12:30 pm

I have a forum on my site ( http://www.powet.tv/forum/ ) that has been in existance since far before the site was a reality, with members who've been with me through site name changes and board software upgrades since 2000. Getting a following ain't easy, keeping it is impossible, and growing is unreasonable.

Our crime is though we welcome new members into the fold, we've been together for so long that old jokes and memories are everywhere and its hard for a new guy to not feel like an outsider.

Best thing the Isthmus can do is ban the jerks, or if possible, issue temp bans. giving someone a 48 hour suspension for being an ass will either chase them away or make them think about straightening up before coming back.

Ultimately, theres nothing you can do as an administrator that will not be seen as oppresive to someone, so just be sure the rules remind everyone this is here as an open forum, but must remain within guidelines of taste and behavior. If anyone throws the freedom of speech line at you, ya just gotta remind them that freedom of speech allows you to make your own site or forum, but it doesn't garauntee you a spot on this one.

If a newbie comes in and doesn't see hate threads dedicated to Cap64, Bucky, Ned, etc, they might feel more welcome. Obviously these came as a reaction to behavoir (and I'm guilty of creating one), but someone who doesn't know the score interprets it as eveyrone being an ass to counter a (percieved) bigger ass.

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Sat May 31, 2008 3:58 pm

As forums go, this one is pretty tolerant (especially of those whose only mission is to use this venue to validate their "inner asshole"). These are likely the same folks who go ballistic if they are cut off while driving. Whether on the forum or on the road, behavior is a choice. The other point is that the bar of this forum can only be as high as the participants are capable of.

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:58 pm

Jason Joyce, now you're talking about "getting tough" and pulling out your "banning" stick?! Come on man, you're killing me. I spent the better half of a year tryna get banned from this forum to no avail. Man I tried everything: personal attacks, posting off topic, general bluster and mayhem, incessant accusations of racism, foul language. I've tried it all and nothing worked. Now I'm still here, still livin' in a seedy SRO above a tavern, still postin', still slangin', still not lovin' police. And you're gonna do me like that?! COME ON BAN ME. Give me what I've always wanted and ban me from the forum! BAN ME!

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:33 pm

What's a "hate thread"?

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:40 pm

Jason should bring out the heavy guns when cleaning up this forum!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:43 pm

Wow, that was some sweet packaging.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:46 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:What's a "hate thread"?

Any that you've started.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:54 pm

nevermore wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:What's a "hate thread"?

Any that you've started.

That's what I thought :roll:

I know this kinda stuff plays well in Madison, but it looks pretty childish to anyone else.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”