I got yer lefty blogger

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

I got yer lefty blogger

Postby jjoyce » Fri May 16, 2008 1:35 pm

Introducing The Planski by Ben Manski

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 16, 2008 1:38 pm

Don't you listen to Rush? This liberal point of view has no audience. And in Madison no less. Oh well, your funeral.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 16, 2008 2:05 pm

Like a raindrop in a ocean...

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri May 16, 2008 2:23 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Don't you listen to Rush? This liberal point of view has no audience. And in Madison no less. Oh well, your funeral.

Ben's as much a liberal as Dave Blaska. Congrats to Isthmus - with one blogger representing the 19% still affiliated with the Bush regime and another representing the 3% Greenie fringe, you've now covered 1/5th of the political spectrum. I'm looking forward to pm getting hired to blog from the 1% pro-pot libertarian perspective.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri May 16, 2008 2:33 pm

Let's leave hugging the middle to the WSJ and Cap Times. The web is full of blogs spewing the Democratic party line.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri May 16, 2008 2:45 pm

jjoyce wrote:Let's leave hugging the middle to the WSJ and Cap Times. The web is full of blogs spewing the Democratic party line.

I'm sure John Nichols will be thrilled to be termed a middle-hugger.

It's really weird to see Isthmus at work here: While we've been experiencing an enormous political shift in America towards the Democratic Party during that last eighteen+ months (that has even been demonstrated at the State Capitol and the City/County Building), Isthmus stakes its claim in the blogosphere by hiring Dave Blaska, who constantly bashes Democrats when he's not bashing the homeless, and Gentle Ben, who (mark my words) will constantly and exclusively be bashing Democrats. There must be some method to this, but I'm not seeing it. Iconoclasm only gets you so far.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri May 16, 2008 3:10 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Don't you listen to Rush?

Been listening for years.

And the men who hold high places, mold a new reality, closer to the heart!

hi, i'm new here

Postby hi, i'm new here » Fri May 16, 2008 3:21 pm

Nice addition. Thanks for adding the writer.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri May 16, 2008 3:32 pm

Since when is the only strong, independent media voice in this town supposed to toe some sort of line? Since when are we supposed to go to bat for partisan politicians who are about as effective in their work for progressive causes as my junior high school student council?

Here's what should be an alarming message to all "liberals" and "progressives" in this town: In the months since Blaska's Blog debuted on this site, I have received a number of notes from those who simply want us to stop publishing his stuff. They're appalled at his views on crime and local politics. They pay careful attention to what he posts about county board races to make sure he doesn't promote his favored candidates too much (even though he has made no secret of his allegiances and activities and is nothing if not too revealing of his record).

And the one thing they never do is say anything like, "I think Blaska's dead wrong and I'd like you to post this response I wrote." With remarkably few exceptions (I can think of two), they offer nothing. They just want us to stop publishing Blaska because evidently we're supposed to fall in line as good soldiers in the march against Dane County conservatives or something.

But here's the thing: Blaska is everything the conservative trolls and radio blowhards are not: funny, self-deprecating, unpredictable, prepared, curious, creative. He kills Sykes in terms of quality. And he's fun to read. But that doesn't matter to those who just want him gone. They evidently don't subscribe to that brand of liberalism that believes more ideas, arguments, opinions, points of view are better for the public debate.

It seems to me that defending Democrats and attacking Republicans isn't our job here.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Fri May 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Controversy... "I$thmu$" knows how to peddle it.

Even though jjoyce does not want his fan base to perceive his employer as "selling out," it's OK. Really, making money by stirring controversy is OK. Shit, Brenda Konkel has done more marketing for "I$thmu$" since the Blaska Blog has come out than "I$thmu$'$" marketing department. That's marketing genius; it's outsourcing at it's finest! I couldn't have come up with a better plan myself.

Zevulon the Great

Postby Zevulon the Great » Fri May 16, 2008 4:23 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:... "I$thmu$"...

An alternative weekly paper and online news source? Yeah, I'm sure they're raking in the dough, Sparky. Good luck getting that brain transplant you so desperately need.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Fri May 16, 2008 4:25 pm

jjoyce wrote:Since when is the only strong, independent media voice in this town

Um...WORT? WYOU?

supposed to toe some sort of line? Since when are we supposed to go to bat for partisan politicians who are about as effective in their work for progressive causes as my junior high school student council?

I get it. I get it...People take time out of their lives to serve their community and you resent them for it. You've demonstrated this line of thought constantly here.

Here's what should be an alarming message to all "liberals" and "progressives" in this town: In the months since Blaska's Blog debuted on this site, I have received a number of notes from those who simply want us to stop publishing his stuff.

Maybe you're not trying to lump me with this crowd, but let the record show I've never called for getting rid of Blaska.

They're appalled at his views on crime and local politics.

Since his views are appalling, it would be natural to find people appalled by them. Of course, you're free to agree with Blaska.

And the one thing they never do is say anything like, "I think Blaska's dead wrong and I'd like you to post this response I wrote." With remarkably few exceptions (I can think of two), they offer nothing.

Did those two ever get put up on the DP? Just askin'

But here's the thing: Blaska is everything the conservative trolls and radio blowhards are not: funny, self-deprecating, unpredictable, prepared, curious, creative.

...um, I'll pass on responding to that...

He kills Sykes in terms of quality.

You're pumping Dave up by throwing under the bus the columnist your boss has published in the fishwrap version for decades? Wow. Just...wow...

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat May 17, 2008 8:01 pm

nevermore wrote:Um...WORT? WYOU?

170,000 readers.

And yes, believe it or not, we're allowed to have opinions about our writers even if they differ from others in the company. If this is shocking to you, then I guess it's less and less of a surprise that connected liberals in this town advocate the silencing of writers. I guess when it's fall in line time, there's little choice but to knuckle under.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sun May 18, 2008 3:03 am

Until one becomes incendiary, no voice should be silenced. But all voices should also be open to criticism. Let all ideas be broadcasted over the internet tubes, the cream will rise to the top and the chaff of the fools will fall to the ground.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sun May 18, 2008 7:28 am

jjoyce wrote:170,000 readers.

Does this number include the copies I use to paper train the rescue dogs my wife takes in?

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”