Why does the DPF allow anonymity anyway?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1318
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:06 pm

Postby lordofthecockrings » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:27 pm

Bucky Goldstein wrote:
jjoyce wrote: Isn't it fair to assume that anonymous flame throwers know nothing about anything, until they can prove otherwise?


i just puked all over myself.

What do you know about puking anyway?

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Madison

Postby Sheppy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:29 pm

I always post under my real name.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2981
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union
Contact:

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue May 13, 2008 12:42 pm

jjoyce wrote:Can something be allowable and still subject to criticism?

Being anonymous here is completely cool, acceptable, admirable, constructive, etc. 99% of the time. There's no reason why this can't be an escape for people during the workday or whatever.

But some are personally degrading, particularly to those who are NOT anonymous, in a way they never would be if they signed their name. There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but in a heated argument, I think it disqualifies the anonymous person. If you're going to go after someone personally but aren't willing to put yourself out there for a response, then I think that speaks to your lack of guts and maybe integrity. It's not okay to call people out on that?

PM is a perfect example of this. He has a lot to say about how others do their jobs, but he tells us nothing about his own background. Is he ashamed of something or afraid of being exposed as a fraud?

Forum benefits from anonymity far more often than not. But when people who work hard on behalf of their community can't show up here to discuss things without being targeted by clowns who only spout vitriol because they'll never have to personally answer for it, the board suffers. The very fact that you know who I am, how long I've been at this and other things about me allows you to figure out the value of my point of view on the matter. Isn't it fair to assume that anonymous flame throwers know nothing about anything, until they can prove otherwise?


On the flip side, don't canonize those who do use their real names. You choose to use your real name, you risk anonymous bashing. But who has such thin skin to give a shit? Ignore and move on.

99% of forum posters anywhere are anonymous ... that's the beauty of the system and the norm.

You people who use your real names are the freaks.

FREAKS!

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3035
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 3:14 pm
Contact:

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue May 13, 2008 12:47 pm

I use my real name because lonelygirl15 was taken.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2090
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:13 am
Location: college park, md
Contact:

Re: Why does the DPF allow anonymity anyway?

Postby Shipley » Tue May 13, 2008 2:36 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:If TDPF required people to use their real names as log-ins, no one would post here.


My name is Zac Shipley. I've been such since the first day here. I don't hide behind a fake name or rely on keyboard courage to backup anything I say.

Not all of you like me, I know that much. But you know who I am and where to find me. I'm ain't afraid of no foron, despite Bucky's promise to piss on me.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8509
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Re: Why does the DPF allow anonymity anyway?

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 13, 2008 2:55 pm

Shipley wrote:
pulsewidth modulation wrote:If TDPF required people to use their real names as log-ins, no one would post here.


My name is Zac Shipley. I've been such since the first day here. I don't hide behind a fake name or rely on keyboard courage to backup anything I say.

Not all of you like me, I know that much. But you know who I am and where to find me. I'm ain't afraid of no foron, despite Bucky's promise to piss on me.

Transparency and accountability make Bucky angry.

If I could change my handle here, I probably would. 's the nice thing about Blogger and Flickr and whatnot, username and screenname being different things and all.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:18 pm

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Tue May 13, 2008 3:19 pm

Wow. A thread resurrection.

How many more of these anonymous poster threads does this forum need anyway? 1 every 6 months seems to be enough.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:18 pm

Re: Why does the DPF allow anonymity anyway?

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Tue May 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Shipley wrote:My name is Zac Shipley.


That's nice. My name is Colonel Sanders.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8509
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Re: Why does the DPF allow anonymity anyway?

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 13, 2008 3:29 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:
Shipley wrote:My name is Zac Shipley.

That's nice. My name is Colonel Sanders.

Another pseudonym. How brave.

What's a-matter, Colonel Sanders? Chicken?

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:18 pm

Re: Why does the DPF allow anonymity anyway?

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Tue May 13, 2008 3:46 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Image

Blah... Blah... Blaaaaaaaaah


Unoriginal poster says what?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8509
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 13, 2008 4:03 pm

Thought you were ignoring me...

Oh, wait, I'm supposed to say "what" to make your lame joke be un-lame.

And are you going after me for quoting Spaceballs when you stole the picture Blaska thought would hurt my feelings? Or are you Blaska?

blunt
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Why does the DPF allow anonymity anyway?

Postby blunt » Tue May 13, 2008 5:25 pm

Shipley wrote: But you know who I am and where to find me. .


Actually, I don't.
Or at least you're not answering the door.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Why does the DPF allow anonymity anyway?

Postby jjoyce » Tue May 13, 2008 9:52 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Another pseudonym. How brave.


Mom won't let him type his real name on the computer. Especially after last time.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:18 pm

Re: Why does the DPF allow anonymity anyway?

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Wed May 14, 2008 1:15 pm

jjoyce wrote:Image


OK, whatever you say.

Bucky Goldstein
Forum Addict
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:10 pm

Re: Why does the DPF allow anonymity anyway?

Postby Bucky Goldstein » Thu May 15, 2008 5:42 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Shipley wrote:
pulsewidth modulation wrote:If TDPF required people to use their real names as log-ins, no one would post here.


My name is Zac Shipley. I've been such since the first day here. I don't hide behind a fake name or rely on keyboard courage to backup anything I say.

Not all of you like me, I know that much. But you know who I am and where to find me. I'm ain't afraid of no foron, despite Bucky's promise to piss on me.

Transparency and accountability make Bucky angry.

If I could change my handle here, I probably would. 's the nice thing about Blogger and Flickr and whatnot, username and screenname being different things and all.


terribly written 'fringe foods' articles make me angry.


Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests