Someone help me with the Book of Love thing

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Someone help me with the Book of Love thing

Postby meowzamusic » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:38 pm

How does this Book of Love thing work?
Lets say someone places an ad. It appears among the hundreds of ads other people placed. Now, do people know that an ad is being placed for them, so they read 'em all until they find that one about them? Or is it just dumb luck that they happen to stumble upon that one that's about them? I've never once looked through the whole section as it makes my head swim, but I'm thinking that if someone ever placed one for me, I'd never know. And that lots and lots of ads are placed but the subject of that placement never sees it and thus the romantic gesture, while wonderful and totally positive, is virtually naught. So, do you folks read the whole section, hoping something is there for you? Or do you already know? Or do you tell the person/place/thing/other noun "hey there's something in that Book of Love for you?"

Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby Velvet Coffin » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:31 pm

Years ago when I was young and beautiful, commoners and nobility from many lands sought my hand. With so many vying for my taut skin and latent promise I did indeed read the Book of Love from cover to cover, certain that somewhere a lover shy or overt would proclaim their passion.

It's kind of awesome that it's online now, though. A quick Control+F search will let you know instantly whether you're valued, saving you the emotional rollercoaster of reading through others' happy loving lives.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

I expound some mystical crap...

Postby Marvell » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:37 pm

It's a metaphor for the search for love itself - the confused, embarrassed fumbling for clues, for patterns of specific meaning in the chaotic spew of random interpersonal information.

Maybe it's as futile as astrology, but I bet tonight hundreds of Madisonians are huddled, face to print - casting through the ashes for an augury against their cosmic irrelevance.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:46 am

Hmmm yeah, well I prefer the love to be declared over a loud PA with screaming guitars and bomb-ass beats. That just doesn't translate all that well to print, especially if it might not be read by the betrothed anyway.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”