Lueders on the Cap Times

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Lueders on the Cap Times

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:57 pm

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:04 pm

Yep. Leeders sticks the dismount on the story of how an institution like the Cap Times will go to the grave as Core v.2.0. Sad.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:59 pm

I can't figure out where they're going with this.

Will the on-line version update daily, with daily (or even more frequently updated) local news? Madison could use that. It's not Isthmus's niche, it's one the Cap Times would have all to itself.

Paper-edition-wise, they're sort of positioning themselves opposite Isthmus instead of the State Journal, and I'm not sure that makes sense. But a reliable daily local on-line news service does.

I don't know where the changes put them with regard to national and international news. Online we all have better sources for those. Opinion, I'm not sure where they'll fit either. I want an alternative local opinion publication, and twice a week seems like enough ... All in all, I'm not sure if this is the beginning of the end, or a step into the future.

In the short term, I think greed got the best of somebody.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:19 am

I think it's a good move. Think about it - the Capitol Times couldn't possibly be less relevant than they are now. Even shuttering the business altogether would be more poignant than simply maintaining.

It's ballsy; quit bashing 'em because you're jealous.

lifelongmadison
Forum Addict

Postby lifelongmadison » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:58 pm

This is an inside job to kill The Capital Times. Even with low circulation, the Cap still makes a profit, and the JOA was meant to keep the paper viable and central to the community.
It is just a cop out and an excuse for Lee to get rid of a prominent voice in Madison.
Sure, I go to the website everyday, but I also subscribe to the paper for what it gives me that I cant find on the website-opinion and commentary that I would have to take much more time to find on the web than to just turn to the opinion page. Plus the AP news that is there at my fingertips, for 50,75, or even a Dollar! Hmmm.. lemme open up my (non existent) laptop to a (non-existent) wireless connection on the bus as I travel to work.
The website can be difficult to negotiate at times, re: death, birth and legal notices for example, and will never supplant the paper as it stands.
There are far to many people in Madison who can't take advantage of the "free" online version. Fuck 'em I guess.
There was a reason for the JOA (Joint Operating Agreement). No matter if the Cap had 1 or a million subscribers, the paper would still be published. The fact that it is making money reeks of Lee putting the hammer down.
As far as I'm concerned, web be damned.
I'd rather have the last paper to go under in my hand and reading it than to be the first paper to turn their back on it's heritage and rely on the nebulous 'web'. If the web was so lucrative and promising, why don't all WI papers go that way? You haven't seen the Journal/Sentinal or WSJ stopping publication because the web is 'The Future'... Bullshit. The JOA says it all... as long as the WSJ is published, the Cap times is as well.. Nichols even said it on the AIR! see link
I applaud the Cap Times for emerging as a valued voice in our nation. To bad they forgot to guard against the flanking movement by Lee.

As Nichols himself admitted in an interview today on WTDY, “We could have kept publishing a daily newspaper for as long as we wanted. ...This isn’t a situation where we had to shut down.â€Â

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:22 am

I thought his motto was:

To the Death!

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:50 pm

Seriously, am I the only one who sees this as a positive move for a printed daily with dwindling distribution?

Fine, let's lament the paper's low numbers, but praise the fix.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:38 am

I wonder if we'll get a better, online, local news source out of this.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:12 pm

The website seems to have a few more items. It is easier to recycle.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”