Sweet bitterness! John Mendelsohn on TDP!!!!

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Sweet bitterness! John Mendelsohn on TDP!!!!

Postby jammybastard » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:03 pm

My prayers have finally been answered!!!
No doubt I love Tommy Laskin and Ken Burns (even the shameless boosterism of Ms. Kiki) but it's about fookin' time we finally a critic who can write about local music w/o being worried about pissing off (or on?) members of their immediate clique!

"Thank you sir, may I have another!!!"

One of my fave quotes,
[b][i]"Judging from the bands I've seen so far, the local music scene doesn't have much sex appeal. But Madison is hardly unique in that regard. From Perth to Glasgow, young pop musicians who wouldn't think twice BTW - about eating musicians' spaghetti (boiled noodles with ketchup pilfered in tiny packets from takeout-joint condiment counters) to afford an amplifier that will make them sound about a tenth of an iota better wouldn't dream of spending a few bucks on something snazzy to wear on stage."

Forty-four years after the Rolling Stones ambled mismatched onto The Hollywood Palace â€â€
Last edited by jammybastard on Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sweet bitterness! John Mendelsohn on TDP!!!!

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:12 pm

jammybastard wrote:Note to Ken Burns...time to revive the sartorial splendor that was The Junkers to satisfy this criteria.

I'm glad you remember! We couldn't sing or play, but we had nice threads.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:22 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
jammybastard wrote:Note to Ken Burns...time to revive the sartorial splendor that was The Junkers to satisfy this criteria.

I'm glad you remember! We couldn't sing or play, but we had nice threads.

Oh stop! You know what I mean.
I'm not shining you on here when I say that I appreciated The Junkers class and musical taste.
Your band was great! Looked great, sounded great, etc...the highlight of the local alt.country music boom of the 90's.
Everybody else wanted to be AM era Wilco, but not you guys.
The big difference was when you added Ed Larson.
Despite the fact that Ed hates my guts I'll never deny he's a shit hot player and when you guys added him you really went beyond the musicality of most local bands.
IMHO the "classic" Noah John lineup with Burke and Dr. Pete were your only competition even though you were working different sides of the trail.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:39 pm

jammybastard wrote:One of my fave quotes,
"Judging from the bands I've seen so far, the local music scene doesn't have much sex appeal. But Madison is hardly unique in that regard. From Perth to Glasgow, young pop musicians who wouldn't think twice BTW - about eating musicians' spaghetti (boiled noodles with ketchup pilfered in tiny packets from takeout-joint condiment counters) to afford an amplifier that will make them sound about a tenth of an iota better wouldn't dream of spending a few bucks on something snazzy to wear on stage."

Dude, do you have any idea how much I spend on flannel in a year????

Women go crazy for a sharp dressed man...

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Fuckability is in the eye of the fuckabilitor.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:45 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
Dude, do you have any idea how much I spend on flannel in a year????

Yeah, but it's the way you rock that hat that really makes it. Flannel is timeless, espec. in the Midwest where most ppl are waiting for acid washed denim to come back in fashion.

Mike, it's safe to say that we are both lucky we're taken and not on the prowl anymore. :lol:

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:46 pm

blunt wrote:Fuckability is in the eye of the fuckabilitor.

you need a filter on your gene pool.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”