Online forum suggestion

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
RalphSmart

Online forum suggestion

Postby RalphSmart » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:23 pm

(I'm not sure where to post this suggestion.)

I've been reading some restaurant reviews in the forums. I suggest you sort these messages to appear in newest-first order. I'd say that the newest reviews of a restaurant are the most pertinent. Sorting with the oldest reviews at the top means that possibly out-of-date information is made perpetually prominent.

:)

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:36 pm

You could just click to the last post.

The power is yours. Go planet.

RalphSmart

Postby RalphSmart » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:04 pm

dogmeat wrote:You could just click to the last post.

Obviously. But why not change the order if there's a more natural alternative? Furthermore, as the discussion gets longer and longer, it takes that much more scrolling to get to bottom of the page. Eventually, the most recent reviews will be on subsequent pages, which is even more of a bother. (And yes, I know there's a sort order option at the bottom of the page. But the same argument holds.)

For some discussions, oldest-first is most natural. In this case, like the discussion we're having now, it's best to see how the discussion evolves. But reviews are not in that category -- they are typically stand-alone comments, and as I said, as the review gets older it's more likely to have obsolete or dated information.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:11 pm

Better yet the Isthmus could hire someone to come to your house and read the reviews to you. Than you would have to deal with the bothersome business of sitting down in front of your computer and pushing a little mouse around you desk.

RalphSmart

Postby RalphSmart » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:32 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Better yet the Isthmus could hire someone to come to your house and read the reviews to you. Than you would have to deal with the bothersome business of sitting down in front of your computer and pushing a little mouse around you desk.

Why the sarcasm for a simple and reasonable suggestion? Yes, I'd rather not have to mouse around or page around. Is that so bad?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:40 pm

RalphSmart wrote:Is that so bad?

No, but it's dumb. Two reasons:

1) One section of the Forum would behave radically differently from the rest of the Forum. Not good website design.

2) Have you actually read the Restaurant Review section threads? They get as conversational as any other section, if not moreso. Lardons, people, LARDONS.

3) There's already an easy way to do this. Click the little talk-bubble icon at the end of the title line to go directly to the last post.

No redesign necessary.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi Sheppy, welcome back.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”