Since when is this forum a dictatorship?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:41 am

Galoot wrote:I ranted at him in the past about ad blockers and TDPF, and he took it without a peep. And looking back on it, I was wrong and he was right. It took about 2 seconds for me to turn of Ad Blocker Plus for this site. Now I'm seeing a few unobtrusive ads for local businesses here, and I don't mind that at all.

Just wanted to say that I agree with this sentiment and acted likewise.

Now where's my cookie?

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:42 am

Quick question.

We're not supposed to use ad blocking software for our browsers when viewing the forum?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:29 am

massimo wrote:ooh, 2999 posts TBP, are you going to 3/10 retire now?

or 3/1 retire, if you're sheppy...

Naw, it'll probably be some annoying, self-referential, navel-gazing metacomment.

.....shit.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:45 am

dogmeat wrote:Quick question.

We're not supposed to use ad blocking software for our browsers when viewing the forum?

Some feel using ad blocking software when accessing local sites, particularly those that don't invoke pop-ups or obtrusive flash, is a good way to ensure that you won't have local sites to access in the future.

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:14 pm

Well, I do use software that blocks scripts and dynamic content from outside the domain I'm viewing. Basically, if the ad isn't hosted at thedailypage.com or delivered through the server, I don't see it. For these forums it means 360ads.com and blogads.com content is not displayed. Those ad companies are probably pushing a stupid t-shirt or a book I won't read. The only ads I'm potentially interested in seeing would be upcoming events in Madison such as concerts.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:17 pm

360 ads are local realtors. Blogads are not currently doing business with us.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:37 am

The madison.com forums are good but it has a much different atmosphere than tdp. I like both forums. They each have their strong and weak points. Madison.com has a much more diverse group of posters representing the entire political spectrum but it does have a problem with wack-o right wing trolls.

The admin of madison.com is a really good guy. Unlike the admin of tdp he treats everyone with respect even when they are not deserving of respect. He does not tolerate personal insults and attacks. Personal insults will get you banned. I have had temporary bans there myself when I have gotten out of line. In my case it has worked, it taught me to be more civil in my posts.

There is something about web forums that can bring out a bad side people. I know this first hand. The admin of madison.com understands this and is very forgiving. You can actually call him up on the phone and discuss issues with their forum with him. They have gatherings where you can meet the people who post there. Once you meet a foron in real life it is much more difficult to be a snide douchebag to them online. TDP could do the same thing. I think that the more nasty posters here would have a different tone in their posts.

LordOfTheCockRings are you listening?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:42 am

harrissimo wrote:The madison.com forums are good but it has a much different atmosphere than tdp. I like both forums. They each have their strong and weak points. Madison.com has a much more diverse group of posters representing the entire political spectrum but it does have a problem with wack-o right wing trolls.

The admin of madison.com is a really good guy. Unlike the admin of tdp he treats everyone with respect even when they are not deserving of respect. He does not tolerate personal insults and attacks. Personal insults will get you banned. I have had temporary bans there myself when I have gotten out of line. In my case it has worked, it taught me to be more civil in my posts.

There is something about web forums that can bring out a bad side people. I know this first hand. The admin of madison.com understands this and is very forgiving. You can actually call him up on the phone and discuss issues with their forum with him. They have gatherings where you can meet the people who post there. Once you meet a foron in real life it is much more difficult to be a snide douchebag to them online. TDP could do the same thing. I think that the more nasty posters here would have a different tone in their posts.

Your mother.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:54 am

I see that the blue dude is getting on the madison.com forum administrator's nerves. Seems he has been temporarily banned many times and some of his posts have been deleted. Not much different than TDPF's response to his rants/threats.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:54 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Your mother.

This is a perfect example of what I am talking about.

TheBookPolice frequently is critical of me for my behavior on this forum while ignoring others whose behavior is much worse and often behaving in the same ways that he criticizes me for. Joyce does the same thing. I think the word is hypocrisy.

It doesn't really bother me that much because I realize from the number of posts that TheBookPolice makes and the amount of time that he spends here that he must have a really dull life. I am simply too busy making music and having fun to spend much time here anymore. And the fact that he picks on me is quite flattering really. I don't feel that I warrant that much attention but I must be doing something that keeps me on TheBookPolice's mind. I can only conclude that he is jealous of me in some odd way.

But be that what it may TheBookPolice, if insulting me makes you feel better be my guest.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:02 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a maroon. What an ignoranimus.

Harris, you've got a serious hardon (not to be confused with a lardon) for conflict and scolding. Your sense of humor has apparently been left on madison.com.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:07 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I see that the blue dude is getting on the madison.com forum administrator's nerves. Seems he has been temporarily banned many times and some of his posts have been deleted. Not much different than TDPF's response to his rants/threats.

The blue dude is a special case. But he is currently posting there. He wasn't posting anywhere because he was in the hospital and recoverying from surgury.

I have had many of my posts deleted there and have been banned once for 3 weeks. But Jeff, their sitemod, is so nice about it that I don't even get pissed at him.

I thought he was crazy when he told me he would not tolerate personal insults but he has made it work. The key is that he is fair and even-handed.

Please don't misunderstand me. I like tdp. I even like Jason even though we have never met in person. I think Jason does a great job but he can be an asshole sometimes. And I have been an asshole on here from time to time too. But I am only human and I have a temper so sometimes I cross the line. To Joyce's credit when I really go off the deep end he just ignores me and I respect him for that.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:15 am

TheBookPolice wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a maroon. What an ignoranimus.

Harris, you've got a serious hardon (not to be confused with a lardon) for conflict and scolding. Your sense of humor has apparently been left on madison.com.

What is a maroon? I think you mean moron.

What you just posted is another example of what I have been saying.

You have a hard-on for me my friend and you have been stalking me here for I don't know how long. If I had the time I could go through all the posts of the last year and prove it but I have better things to do.

God Bless You TheBookPolice. If it makes you feel better about yourself to belittle me and to insult me then right go ahead.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:17 am

I wonder what would happen if someone showed up at one of Harris's gigs and suggested, loudly, that Dave Stoler was a much better pianist than he was. Repeatedly.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:20 am

No, I really meant maroon.

Be careful. Your bad hip is showing.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”