Missing threads

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Jesse Russell
Forum Addict
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Downtown
Contact:

Missing threads

Postby Jesse Russell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:42 pm

There seems to be some sort of problem in the TDPForums.

Threads related to naughty advertisers keep disappearing. Might want to look into it.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:48 pm

It's a helluva thing when advertisers who don't pay want to advertise for free. How do you deal with them at Dane101?

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5578
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Postby supaunknown » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:50 pm

Pretty lame to delete the latest one.

Jesse Russell
Forum Addict
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Downtown
Contact:

Postby Jesse Russell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:52 pm

jjoyce wrote:It's a helluva thing when advertisers who don't pay want to advertise for free. How do you deal with them at Dane101?


They have to pay in advance and put the ad up themselves. Our ads are only $1 per 1000 impressions. Quite a bargain.

Edited, had our rates wrong.
Last edited by Jesse Russell on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:23 pm
Location: east side

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:55 pm

The funny thing about Dane101 is they let businesses and individuals post pretty much whatever they want, whenever they want to.

Kind of sounds more like "building reciprocal business relationships" than "advertising."

And I don't recall ever seeing something on Dane101 being arbitrarily deleted because it didn't sit well with their admin.

Jesse Russell
Forum Addict
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Downtown
Contact:

Postby Jesse Russell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:57 pm

But more on topic, I think you should allow the forum to call those advertisers out on your behalf like they were doing in the previously deleted thread. I don't want to frequent a business that isn't putting up for an important resource. Especially if that defaulting advertiser apparently has the money to help fund a TDPLite.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:01 pm

supaunknown wrote:Pretty lame to delete the latest one.


Once again, the 'l' word makes an appearance. Lots of things are lame, particularly if your point of view on a subject is limited to how it affects yourself only.

You know what I think is lame? When one small business owes another money and tries to get over anyway. You'd think people who run small businesses in this town would understand what it's like to be working hard just to make it.

As for $25 CPM, I wouldn't call that a bargain. Compared to some other websites in town, maybe. Not compared to this one, however.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:06 pm

swoon_queen wrote:And I don't recall ever seeing something on Dane101 being arbitrarily deleted because it didn't sit well with their admin.


You're just guessing though, right?

"Arbitrarily" implies whimsical or without much thought. We're in this message board business for a few years at this point, so nothing really gets arbitrarily deleted. And Dane101 isn't an anonymous message board.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4296
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:46 pm
Location: E Wash
Contact:

Postby ShaneDog » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:14 pm

jjoyce wrote:
supaunknown wrote:Pretty lame to delete the latest one.

As for $25 CPM, I wouldn't call that a bargain. Compared to some other websites in town, maybe. Not compared to this one, however.
It's actually $1 CPM with a minimum buy of $25. I think Jesse got the numbers mixed up. In any case, I don't really see what the big deal is here and I think I had several posts in the threads that went bye-bye. There's plenty of other interesting stuff to talk about right about now.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5578
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Postby supaunknown » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:23 pm

jjoyce wrote:
supaunknown wrote:Pretty lame to delete the latest one.

Once again, the 'l' word makes an appearance. Lots of things are lame, particularly if your point of view on a subject is limited to how it affects yourself only.

You know what I think is lame? When one small business owes another money and tries to get over anyway. You'd think people who run small businesses in this town would understand what it's like to be working hard just to make it.

Uh, I don't know if you'd read my posts from those threads that got deleted but suffice it to say I agree with you wholeheartedly - I absolutely hate it when deadbeat businesses owe ours a debt we eventually have to write off as a total loss.

I'm more along the mindset that the more people that know about a sketchy business the more likely that said owner will be pressured into making things right.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4296
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:46 pm
Location: E Wash
Contact:

Postby ShaneDog » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:25 pm

Image

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5468
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:05 pm
Location: All Up In Your General Area
Contact:

Postby jammybastard » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:41 pm

supaunknown wrote:I'm more along the mindset that the more people that know about a sketchy business the more likely that said owner will be pressured into making things right.


As a small biz owner who's been stiffed ac couple of times I agree completely, but I think there's also the issue about not dragging it out so that the whole thing becomes a public spectacle and feelings are bruised.
It's a small town, we all know each other, and if someone is being naughty word gets around well enough w/o a virtual stoning on TDPF.
Plus I'm sure neither party, The Isthmus and "X" would like it to be more public than it is, and to have the slate cleared. It's their biz, let them work it out.
We have no right to intrude.

Jesse Russell
Forum Addict
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Downtown
Contact:

Postby Jesse Russell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:45 pm

jammybastard wrote:
supaunknown wrote:I'm more along the mindset that the more people that know about a sketchy business the more likely that said owner will be pressured into making things right.


As a small biz owner who's been stiffed ac couple of times I agree completely, but I think there's also the issue about not dragging it out so that the whole thing becomes a public spectacle and feelings are bruised.
It's a small town, we all know each other, and if someone is being naughty word gets around well enough w/o a virtual stoning on TDPF.
Plus I'm sure neither party, The Isthmus and "X" would like it to be more public than it is, and to have the slate cleared. It's their biz, let them work it out.
We have no right to intrude.


Well said. I defer to Jammy. This is what admin should have said in the first place.

Maxine
Forum Addict
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:39 am

Postby Maxine » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:15 pm

Back in my lush days, I used to hang out at this bar in Rockdale that pinned up bounced checks on a cork-board for everyone to see. Of course this was done after Avis the owner exhausted her collection efforts. Most people settled up quite quick after their check was posted.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:19 pm

We don't often freeze threads and let everyone see them, in their entirety, before pulling them. Often, all it takes is one post to say, "Okay, that's about enough of that."

I hope it's clear where I stand on all these issues. I'm nothing if not willing to make my opinion, no matter how idiotic, clear. I would also hope, however, that if you have beef due to your own self interest that you'd make that clear as well.


Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest