Isthmus Flickr Pool photos, how are they picked?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
equuspower
Forum Addict

Isthmus Flickr Pool photos, how are they picked?

Postby equuspower » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:47 pm

I'm always curious about those 4 little thumbnails on the right. They change every time I change a page, but they are often repeated and they are often from the same individuals. So I'm curious, are the pictures picked randomly by computer or are they chosen by an individual or committee? Or is there some mathamatical formular used to choose them. (Ha, ha).

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:00 pm

It's up to the flickr script we've got running in there, but I believe it's random with extra weight assigned to recent photos. Every once in a while, an older shot will show up in there, but not very often.

equuspower
Forum Addict

Postby equuspower » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:04 pm

Well, we'd have to define the word "recent" for me to take issue about this, and it's not that important, but the photos are certainly not picked from the first page, and I've seen photos repeated every day for most of a week. I haven't done a "scientific" study, mind you, but there are a lot of repeats!

HOWEVER - there are more important things in the world to worry about. Thanks for the response.

mrs. mcdonell
Forum Addict

Postby mrs. mcdonell » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:24 pm

One day I noticed that three of the four were THE SAME PHOTO. And I thought to myself, hmmm what would happen when they are all four the same? How awesome would that be?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:45 pm

T&A helps (or, at least, it used to).

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”