Re-write of article

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Re-write of article

Postby bluethedog » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:13 am

I think Vikki Kratz is missing the point. Everyone has unhealthy vices but it seems smokers are made to pay for them dis-proportionately.

Here's my re-write of her article. It's ridiculous isn't it?

McDonalds is complaining about a proposal in the Wisconsin state budget to raise the tax on Big Macs by another $1.25 per patty. In a graphic the company is providing to legislators, the fast food giant declares, "Enough is enough, even for fat asses...."

Currently, a Big Mac costs about $4, about half of which now goes to the government. The state increase, combined with a proposed federal tax hike, could raise the price of a Big Mac to more than $6.

This reminds me of the time my mother bought my two older brothers burgers and fries for Christmas. My brothers had moved out and were living on their own for the first time. They could hardly afford to buy fast food. My mother, herself a fat ass, thought she was doing them a favor.

Those favors stopped after my grandfather -- also a lifelong fast food eater -- died of diabetes. My mother eventually quit eating fast food and I'm sure she regrets the "gift" she gave my brothers that year. Neither one of them has been able to quit their deadly addiction.

This summer, my friend's father was diagnosed with heart disease, after eating fast food for decades. He had surgery to remove blockages, but the damage was already done to his heart. Strokes are now are now slowly incapacitating him. The family is praying for a miracle. Without one, he will surely die.

Maybe the price of a Bic Mac is already too high -- not in dollars, but in lives. Maybe enough really is enough.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”