Annual Manual

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Forum God/Goddess

Annual Manual

Postby bluethedog » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:44 pm

The local web site winner was...surprise!!

No shit.

The "Maybe it's because..." crap is pitiful. I especially love that reader comments are cited, as if the 5 people that have actually made comments made a difference in the voting.

TDP is a great site! No need to make it appear stupid by toting it's 1st place finish in a poll put on by...itself!

Now if TDP would finish first in a poll conducted by Madison Newspapers or WISC-TV...that would be another story.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:34 am

I'd just like to remind everyone that the Mannual is sort of helpful and informative but in no way a litmus test of what Madisonians really think.
I used to work at the place that counts the votes: landslide winners would have a total of maybe 11 votes!
It is incredibly easy to stuff the box and win--just make at least 20 friends fill the shit out.
I am bored to tears with the same places winning every year:
Ave Bar

The same small group who has beein voting since 1986 seems to still be voting for the exact same venures.
I call for an investigation!

Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:37 am

Taco Bell medaling in two categories?

I stand by my position that "Annual Manual" would be better used as a coy euphemism for a masturbation quota.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:37 am

There were 1600 voters this year, which I believe is a record. And TDP actually makes the top three in all three major Madison polls (Mad Mag, WSJ/Cap Times and Isthmus).

Not all Isthmus entrants do quite as well, however. Nichols won for best newspaper writer this year, for instance.

As for Blunt's statements, his numbers might be representative of what happened years ago when we used Chamberlain, but that's not true today. The votes get pretty spread out in the totals for various bands, but in the high-interest categories, winners often tally well into the hundreds.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:33 pm

Well okay then.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:08 pm

Next year, being an election year and all, as a promotion the Isthmus should get punch cards to vote for their favorites and have a few promotions at local establishments like High Noon Saloon, Genna's, etc and have vote nights. The bars have drink specials and the Isthmus sets up voting booths where drunks can punch voting cards for their favorites. Call it the "Hanging Chad Tour". If someone votes online, part of the promotion could be printing out a coupon for a treat at a local establishment and call it a "Diebold Deduction".

Only people from Oregon would be allowed to mail in their paper ballot from the print edition of the Isthmus.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus &”