Henry Vilas

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Henry Vilas

Postby Marvell » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:42 pm

With all this talk of people abandoning the Daily Page and existential crises and whatnot, I'd like to just take a moment to note a milestone.

Sometime soon - probably tomorrow, July 11th - Henry Vilas will post his 7,000th post.

Now, I've not always agreed with Mr. V - usually about the style, rather than the substance, of his posts. But I will always tip my hat to him for his commitment to being an engaged, active citizen of Madison.

A city that has a Henry Vilas in it is a lucky city.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:42 am

Ah, shucks. Well this is #7 thou. I guess with so many longtime forons leaving or greatly decreasing their participation, someone has to pick up the slack. And now that I'm retired, I find that I have the time and the inclination to do so.

Thanks for the kind words, Marvell.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:53 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Well this is #7 thou. I guess with so many longtime forons leaving or greatly decreasing their participation, someone has to pick up the slack.

Does quantitative posting over qualitative posting count as "picking up the slack?"

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:14 am

pulsewidth modulation wrote:Does quantitative posting over qualitative posting count as "picking up the slack?"

Burn! I mean, Zing!

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:47 am

jjoyce wrote:
pulsewidth modulation wrote:Does quantitative posting over qualitative posting count as "picking up the slack?"

Burn! I mean, Zing!

Considering the source, JJ, I really don't give half a shit. HV is a good guy who backs his posts with facts and sources. I hope that if he goes on some kind of travel-type thing that he's got a laptop equipped with wireless and all that. And a quality camera that can offload easily.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:29 am

lysander wrote:I hope that if he goes on some kind of travel-type thing that he's got a laptop equipped with wireless and all that. And a quality camera that can offload easily.

I'm going on a cruise of Alaska's inside passage next week, but I don't have a laptop. The ship's got Internet access, but the rates aren't cheap. I do have a digital camera though.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:50 am

Henry, we love ya, but you should certainly feel free to take a vacation from the Forum if you want to. We'll get by. Have a great time!

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:38 am

lysander wrote:
jjoyce wrote:

Burn! I mean, Zing!

Considering the source, JJ, I really don't give half a shit.

Indeed.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:07 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
lysander wrote:I hope that if he goes on some kind of travel-type thing that he's got a laptop equipped with wireless and all that. And a quality camera that can offload easily.

I'm going on a cruise of Alaska's inside passage next week, but I don't have a laptop. The ship's got Internet access, but the rates aren't cheap. I do have a digital camera though.

Memory cards are cheap cheap cheap these days. Stock up before you leave.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:59 pm

lysander wrote:Considering the source, JJ, I really don't give half a shit.

I don't even know what that means. And do I even need to say that this kind of remark ought to be taken as the utmost in sarcasm?

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:12 pm

lysander wrote:
jjoyce wrote:

Burn! I mean, Zing!

Well good for you! clap clap clap...

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:24 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:
lysander wrote:
jjoyce wrote:

Burn! I mean, Zing!

Well good for you! clap clap clap...

That's our buddy pulse for you.

Reading him is like getting a dose of the clap.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:23 pm

Henry Vilas is kinda like an older brother. He always wants the last word but you would miss him if he were gone.

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:17 pm

Madsci wrote:Henry Vilas is kinda like an older brother. He always wants the last word but you would miss him if he were gone.

I like to think of Henry as that kind uncle I never had. Uncle Henry teaching me about Greek mythology and romance languages. His obsession with the movie Vision Quest and showing me, over and over again, how to properly get in the wrestling position. Lecturing me on the importance of keeping the beard neat and trim. Ol' Uncle Hank, never married, traveling with Uncle Maury, bringing me back trinkets from around the world. Thanks for the memories, Henry. You will be missed. May the spirit of Louden Swain live forever within you.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:50 pm

You've been around since the early years.....
I hate to admit it, but when I was a really young and hopelessly naive Foron, I honestly thought you were the guy the owned the Zoo.
Plus I thought the land mass I live on was named after the free newspaper.
Ah, youth!

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”