American Idyll

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

American Idyll

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:08 pm

I enjoyed Kenneth Burns cover story. What makes me happy is a question I've been trying to answer for awhile now, because other than my love life, I'm just not there yet. I've lived in a large space for eight years and have collected a large amount of stuff, and for a long time my stuff made me happy. In the last year I have begun getting rid of stuff (thank you craigslist) and I have to say, every time something goes out the door, I feel a happiness as good or better than when it came in.

My best friend is wealthy and has the cars and boats and such, and he admits to me that the more stuff he gets, the more problems he has. He built a big beautiful house and now spends a good amount of time on upkeep, and sometimes when we're sitting in it, watching the enormous TV, he'll say things that really make me think he wishes he were back in his simple little former house, watching his regular sized TV.

The article has made me think of things that I need to think about but keep putting on the back burner. Thanks.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:14 pm

It's always a good thing to minimize your stuff-cloud.
Freecycle works good for that too.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:38 pm

I enjoyed the article and I'm glad someone beat me to posting about it. One thing I remember saying, back in my big 'ol townhouse, was,"Something's always broken!" And it seemed like stuff broke in threes! So triple the repair bills. This does remind me of one of my favorite books: Your Money or Your Life?!

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:06 am

Thanks for the kind words. That piece was fun to write.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”