Mic 92.1

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
eric2000

Mic 92.1

Postby eric2000 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:50 pm

So what was the point of Vicki Kratz’s article on progressive talk 92.1 FM? Ms. Kratz chose to highlight the article with a Fox-news style hypothetical question: “Does the station deserve listener loyalty?â€Â

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:05 pm

This must be second in the series that started with Ken Burns, Non-Drinker, reviewing bars on State.

Also, it's Vikki, short for Viktoria.

Columbus used to have liberal talk, but it got flipped to conservative talk and it's tanking now.

I like how she listened for one day and made her grand judgments based on that. Stephanie Miller plays one Simpsons drop on a regular basis, another on an infrequent basis, and yet Vikki thought that was the best thing Steph has to offer. Hm.

Pretty worthless piece.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:03 am

Thanks for reading.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:17 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Thanks for reading.

Hey, no need to take that tone with me.

el guante
Forum Addict

Postby el guante » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:34 am

i thought it was a fairly important article. not that it was perfect, and some of your points here are valid, but i really think that progressives in this community need to step back and take a look at this station.

like most talk radio of any stripe, it panders to a specific audience, offering platitudes, obvious observations, and preaching to the choir. maybe that's not necessarily a bad thing, but progressives, i believe, should be held to a higher standard.

i appreciate 92.1's news coverage and some of the local stuff, but for the most part i find it pretty damn juvenile. also very white. very middle-class. very SAFE.

i think it's good that 92.1 is on the air, but Kratz is right in that i think some of its listeners' loyalties are a bit misplaced. rather than challenge the station to be more inclusive, more challenging, or more interesting, we cling to the fact that it simply EXISTS as some great victory.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mic 92.1

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:37 am

eric2000 wrote:Isthmus could have interviewed Valerie Walasek, Gary Tipler, Dardanelles owner Barbara Wright, or any of the many supporters and business owners who rallied to keep progressive talk in Madison. Isthmus also could have researched the Madison media market and compared the choices we have to those of other markets

What in the hell could Val possibly add to the conversation...Jesus, think before you post. Ditto Burns. Instead of a vegetarian reviewing Smokey's your asking that a half starved hyena do it instead. Way to go. Obviously the only way to get a good article is to have someone write it who already thinks the way you do....right?

Dan Motor

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:12 am

This is your glib response to any legitimate criticism directed towards your paper. Did you ever contemplate that it's this exact pompous attitude that will eventually render your paper (more) irrelevant than it already is? The only reason for this rag's existence is to shill car ads and vegan confections, so drop the elitist attitude douche bag.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:22 am

el guante wrote:i appreciate 92.1's news coverage and some of the local stuff, but for the most part i find it pretty damn juvenile.

Good. So the style of humor isn't what you would like. Can you address the content, or does it all come down to whether or not you like their sound effects?

el guante wrote:also very white. very middle-class. very SAFE.

Not a criticism of 92.1, really. Blame AAR and Jones Radio for not hiring more minority talent. AAR canned Kyle Jason, and I think that was a mistake.

el guante wrote:rather than challenge the station to be more inclusive, more challenging, or more interesting, we cling to the fact that it simply EXISTS as some great victory.

Well, you don't appear to be clinging to it at all. That being said, have you seen the Center for American Progress' report on talk radio? The fact that any liberal talk radio exists is a significant victory.

No one is saying that 92.1 (locally) or liberal talk (nationally) is perfect and should not change nor aspire to move upward. Vikki Kratz, however, has written this article from a stationary position viewing a snapshot of a train in motion. She can't see the direction, nor can she see the speed. And that, to me, is pretty worthless.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:28 am

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:

This is your glib response to any legitimate criticism directed towards your paper. Did you ever contemplate that it's this exact pompous attitude that will eventually render your paper (more) irrelevant than it already is? The only reason for this rag's existence is to shill car ads and vegan confections, so drop the elitist attitude douche bag.

I've already responded to criticism of the article of mine in question. I am truly grateful to all our readers. No glibness intended.

el guante
Forum Addict

Postby el guante » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:39 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
el guante wrote:i appreciate 92.1's news coverage and some of the local stuff, but for the most part i find it pretty damn juvenile.

Good. So the style of humor isn't what you would like. Can you address the content, or does it all come down to whether or not you like their sound effects?

I mean that the content is, in my opinion, politically juvenile. Not the humor, though that can be at times as well. I'd just like to hear a deeper analysis, an analysis that goes beyond the "republicans are evil" talking point and digs into ideas about where change really comes from, how the Democrats are also flawed, the importance of community organizing, i don't know-- stuff like that. Maybe that's idealistic. There are "anti-Bush" liberals and there are "pro-social justice" liberals. I think it's pretty obvious who the station caters to.

Sometimes we do indeed need to preach to the choir. But not ALL the time. Mixing it up a bit would be helpful i think-- challenging the audience a little.

It's possible i just don't listen to the station enough, but that's the sense that i get.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:40 am

I thought the actual content of the article was less negative than the headline led me to believe.

I've listened to it on and off, and often thought it was pretty superficial.

Not that conservative talk radio isn't.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:45 am

el guante wrote:I mean that the content is, in my opinion, politically juvenile. Not the humor, though that can be at times as well. I'd just like to hear a deeper analysis, an analysis that goes beyond the "republicans are evil" talking point and digs into ideas about where change really comes from, how the Democrats are also flawed, the importance of community organizing, i don't know-- stuff like that. Maybe that's idealistic. There are "anti-Bush" liberals and there are "pro-social justice" liberals. I think it's pretty obvious who the station caters to.

Yeah, it caters to people who won't listen to conservative radio blather.

Stephanie Miller repeatedly criticizes Hillary, Dave Obey. Her on-air producer is a strong advocate for restricting immigration policy a la Lou Dobbs.

Randi Rhodes and Rachel Maddow both stick it to the Democratic congressional leadership on being too conciliatory on Iraq.

Ed Schultz is just dumb enough to make me believe that he used to be a right winger.

If you think that the programming on 92.1 reflects nothing more than a "republicans are evil" mentality, then you listen about as carefully as Vikki did.

ADDED:
It's possible i just don't listen to the station enough, but that's the sense that i get.

It's an inaccurate sense, as someone who listens every day.
Last edited by thebookpolice on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:45 am

i thought her whole "you're not gonna like what i have to say" intro was complete bullshit.
she ended up saying positive things about more than half the line up. has anyone actually bumped into anyone who likes every host on the station, or for that matter every host on any station?
personally i like me some randi rhodes, but that's just me.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:11 pm

Ironically this article reads like your average story on Fox News and is the epitome of 'truthiness' where "facts" don't get in the way of "feel" and expectations are lowered at the start.
Ridiculous.
I guess there are no longer standards for making the paper version of the Isthmus.
They editors would be better off publishing some of our more mundane foron discussions if they are that hard up to fill column inches. That would be far more compelling and factual than this piece of tripe.

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:16 pm

Maybe el guante should just stick with Magic 98 and be done with it.

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”