flash flood warning for current events/national politics

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

flash flood warning for current events/national politics

Postby gozer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:21 pm

can we get an opinion from the admin/s about the flooding/excessive multi-posting currently in progress by at least two screen names in said subcategory? i for one think there is more to it than simply starting a new thread to outrun a pithy counter-thrust . . .

if it is fine with the powers that be, i will figure out my own way to make that subcategory more usable again via a filter on my end and post the source code and configuration files . . .

o t o h , if a pro-trump i p address shows up in yer invesiigation, i think that calls for permanent explusion and outing . . . i'd say the exact same thing no matter who is doing it, which is more than some forons can say . . .

large amounts of meaningless repetition have accumulated over the last five and a half months or less and savage unusability is in progress or expected to begin shortly . . .
Last edited by gozer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: flash flood warning for current events/national politics

Postby Roy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:23 pm

gozer wrote:can we get an opinion from the admin/s about the flooding/excessive multiposting currently in progress by at least two screen names in said subcategory?

You would be very lucky if an admin show up to read any part of this forum once in a months time. In other words, the forum is unmoderated: do as you please.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Roy wrote:
gozer wrote:can we get an opinion from the admin/s about the flooding/excessive multiposting currently in progress by at least two screen names in said subcategory?

You would be very lucky if an admin show up to read any part of this forum once in a months time. In other words, the forum is unmoderated: do as you please.

i was afraid of that . . . i mean that the tactical network abuse in question is going to continue and eventually acheive its objective . .. other than that, do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law . . . yes, i agree with that too. . .

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:52 pm

Every once in awhile admin chimes in and surprises us, so don't give up hope just yet.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:02 pm

gozer wrote:can we get an opinion from the admin/s about the flooding/excessive multi-posting currently in progress by at least two screen names in said subcategory? i for one think there is more to it than simply starting a new thread to outrun a pithy counter-thrust . . .

if it is fine with the powers that be, i will figure out my own way to make that subcategory more usable again via a filter on my end and post the source code and configuration files . . .

o t o h , if a pro-trump i p address shows up in yer invesiigation, i think that calls for permanent explusion and outing . . . i'd say the exact same thing no matter who is doing it, which is more than some forons can say . . .

Who is the other name besides Fflambeau that you think is excessive? How do their posts make the category unusable? Can you just ignore their posts if you don't like them?

What are the other threads in Nat Politics you want to see? Is there anything besides Trump and what he is doing that needs to be discussed there?

Why should a pro-Trump poster be treated differently than an anti-Trump one? Why should someone be outed just for posting too much? Does that punishment fit the offense? I can't think of any reason anyone should be ever be outed here.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:16 pm

note that the top post is a request for comments as it were . . . and also the first time in 22 years i have asked admins to consider putting the hurt on anyone, though i believe that is not the best possible outcome . . . the admin/s may have their reasons for letting it alone . . .
Last edited by gozer on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Shorty wrote:
gozer wrote:can we get an opinion from the admin/s about the flooding/excessive multi-posting currently in progress by at least two screen names in said subcategory? i for one think there is more to it than simply starting a new thread to outrun a pithy counter-thrust . . .

Who is the other name besides Fflambeau that you think is excessive? How do their posts make the category unusable? Can you just ignore their posts if you don't like them?

What are the other threads in Nat Politics you want to see? Is there anything besides Trump and what he is doing that needs to be discussed there?

Why should a pro-Trump poster be treated differently than an anti-Trump one? Why should someone be outed just for posting too much? Does that punishment fit the offense? I can't think of any reason anyone should be ever be outed here.

how about if someone is sitting in trump tower flooding a message board? does not that impress u as sort of grape with a sledgehammer? so at least give the admins a crowbar or tear gas pen if that is the case . . .

as far as filtering out the abusive multi-positing, i am already pumping the python

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:06 am

Yes if someone is sitting in trump tower flooding a message board, that would be a problem. We don't have that here.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:57 am

in any case i would suggest that having the ability to sort posts by various things and adjust the number of threads and messages on a page should satisfy everyone . . . it may take modifying some things; the most recent version of the software with which I am familiar does not appear to have that out of the box . . . a front end i have used for sorting in the past is choking on something, almost certainly the fault of firefox rather than i d p f or phpbb, could even be windows 2008 server or microsoft excel or perlscript but less likely . . . i don't even try with any of the unix type or pre-win2k or os/2 machines because a lot of the newer code and flourishes and all that often make a terrible mess when i use my preferred browsing programme . . .

so fair enough . . . could we sort i would sort rather than filter and still opt to read all of fflambeau's posts as i do now, just i would group trump posts at the bottom of the screen together if i had already done my trump reading for the day and come back to them later, or preferably scroll up and down a longer list . . .

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:41 am

You cannot blame the forum software for what you don't like/find here. For the price ( Free ) it is about the best for the money. If you want it highly customizable, talk them into investing in a paid software version like vBulletin or IbpForum.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:58 am

Roy wrote:You cannot blame the forum software for what you don't like/find here. For the price ( Free ) it is about the best for the money. If you want it highly customizable, talk them into investing in a paid software version like vBulletin or IbpForum.

it has nothing to do with content or tone -- what i may like or not is immaterial . . . for example, it looks like i agree with the postings coming from whomever are the two screen names in question, which could be one, two, or more people (it was the possibility that it was one that precipitated the original post) perhaps 70-85 per cent of the time and yourself closer to 30 per cent -- there is no thread about roy did this and that, is there?
and in any case it may be simply a new stylistic convention, for all i know . . . i am actually interested in the admin/s, well, everybody's opinion on that and could very well be in the wrong; it was not a rhetorical question . . .

i also like very looooong threads including all the tangents and drift the same way i do when 30+ people run for president, 20 people run for mayor of chicago, 135+ people run for governor of california . . . building up rather than sideways, so to speak, sort of like urban sprawl?

Return to “Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com”