Growlers to Go-Go

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Growlers to Go-Go

Postby jman111 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:09 pm

thebookpolice wrote:People can have as little as they want without opening a whole container.

In what way? What am I missing here?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon May 08, 2017 4:16 pm

jman111 wrote:
thebookpolice wrote:People can have as little as they want without opening a whole container.

In what way? What am I missing here?

I don't know, what are you missing? Seems pretty straightforward.

But let's break it down. You're at a party. You're interested in a beer, but don't want to have a whole one. You don't want to open one and then abandon it (waste it) or find someone with whom to share it. So you go without. But oh! There's a growler! You can just swing open the top, pour yourself a little 4oz taster, seal it back up, and go on your merry way. The next person wants an #icemanpour in a full imperial pint glass? Go to town my man, no need to open two 12oz bottles. Just unscrew that growler and pour it like a boss.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon May 08, 2017 4:18 pm

It's just that once you open that growler, all the contents should be consumed that same day.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon May 08, 2017 4:21 pm

gargantua wrote:It's just that once you open that growler, all the contents should be consumed that same day.

That's fungible (fudgeable? let's say fudgeable), but not by much. You get yourself a nice fat-bottomed howler of Clare's Thirsty BA raspberry imperial stout from Haymarket, it'll still be delicious days later. But a fresh, sparkly IPA? Yeah don't mess around. Stay up late and finish it off.
Last edited by thebookpolice on Mon May 08, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Mon May 08, 2017 4:22 pm

gargantua wrote:It's just that once you open that growler, all the contents should be consumed that same day.

The chargeable growlers are supposed to fix that problem but from what I hear they're good for two or three days max.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:23 pm

I guess I failed to clarify that point (though it seemed pretty straightforward). I guess I also (incorrectly) assumed that a growler is a "container" that needed to be opened in order to access its contents.

I still don't understand why you couldn't similarly pour a portion of a can or bottle into a glass and leave the rest for the Mr Iceman's big pour? I mean, if it makes you feel better, you can pop a cap back on the bottle or pull some Saran Wrap over the can-- I think they'll last just about as long as that opened growler.
Last edited by jman111 on Mon May 08, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 08, 2017 4:24 pm

thebookpolice wrote:

That's fungible (fudgeable? let's say fudgeable), but not by much.

Good edit, because I was just going to say: I don't think fungible means what you think it means.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon May 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Get a swing top/gasket growler, those help extend shelf life quite a bit. Wine stoppers work fairly well with unfinished bottles.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon May 08, 2017 8:12 pm

Ducatista wrote:Good edit, because I was just going to say: I don't think fungible means what you think it means.

I tend to allow fungible, in my brain, to assume a looser definition, closer to flexible than interchangeable -- even though I've done this before and had a similar internal editorial process. If only there was a word that referred to swapping one definition in for another one.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon May 08, 2017 9:37 pm

But need you wear the white go-go boots to pour a growler?

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:10 pm

I finally made it out. Interesting. The woman working the bar was pretty awesome in that she was very inviting, nice and inclusive. I think she said something in the spiel about the place, to have a seat at the bar and join the conversation. A crew of what seemed regulars, but regulars that weren't dicks. And equal gender representation. Younger folk. It was fun. There also was a family eating pizza. The boy was playing on the console (forget which), the daughter on the coin-op, Mom on a tablet and Dad bouncing around. I think they have a pinball too, but I may be misremembering.

So I did not go to get a growler filled but one can go to have a glass of beer. Not a lot of room but a very cool accommodating scene. A nice little oasis for a chill in that area.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:54 pm

They had two pinballs when we visited, but it's been too long. My recollection is very similar. Friendly/professional bar staff, and a bunch of cordial beer lovers around. A friend of ours who moved away before it opened is visiting soon. Growlers is at the top of our list of places to take him to bemoan his fate. He's is in Kansas now. You can get Sierra Nevada Pale Ale there.
Damn, this is going to be fun! For us anyway.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”