Binge drinking mularkey

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Binge drinking mularkey

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:11 pm

Stebben84 wrote: He somehow managed to even get it in his ear.

What a shithead.

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Maybe it's harder, if your'e a drinker, to notice Wisconsin's drink, drank, drunk culture. But it sure is hard to ignore if you choose not to be a drinker in this state. I didn't even drink until I moved to Madison as a college student. You couldn't even go out with your friends on the weekend without being expected to drink. A lot. Or risk being called a weak-ass pussy. Such great friends I had.

As a non-drinker, you really notice how every social event has to have booze involved on some level. It's really not much fun, and occasionally incredibly annoying, to go see a band and you feel like the only person there not drunk. But that's an adult outing and to be expected, especially in Wisconsin.

But it doesn't end there. I've been to many birthday parties for young kids where there was beer available for the parents. Sometimes a keg even (can't run out). Because, heaven forbid, the 'rents should have to go a couple of hours without a drink. I have seen ads for a parents night out fundraiser for the Madison Childrens Museum, where you pay money and you can drink at the Museum after hours and listen to a band or something. The Madison Public Library Foundation has had a number of successful events combining beer and chocolate tasting. I'm not sure if either of those events offered cab vouchers or just expected everyone to drive home drunk.

What's the point of even criticising drunk driving when nobody thinks there's a problem with the sodden culture that spawns it. You can't be rid of one without eliminating the other. And we all know that will never happen in Wisconsin.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:45 pm

I've only lived in New England, Colorado, and Wisconsin. I understand Wisconsin's got its own "I can drink more'n you!" culture and it took me some time to understand the difference between my own little part of New England and here: Back there, drugs n alcohol were a means to get from point a to point b, and then stop. Most of us, anyway.

I got here and it took me the longest time to figure out that for a lot of people, the goal was to drink or smoke more than everybody else and you weren't done till the bottle was dry.

I get that now. But everywhere I've lived, alcohol was always there. More of it going on around here, yeah I can relate to that.

But where is the place where there's no alcohol when people get together? I don't remember living in one.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:09 pm

rabble wrote:But where is the place where there's no alcohol when people get together?

Anywhere there are Baptists.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
rabble wrote:But where is the place where there's no alcohol when people get together?

Anywhere there are Baptists.

Or Mormons. Or dry Methodists. On the other hand, Catholics like to drink.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:14 pm

And there are cities full of these?

I thought even Utah had drunks.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:18 pm

rabble wrote:And there are cities full of these?

I agree, there is no place, but I'm sure there are areas of the bible belt that don't quite have the drinking culture as the rest of the US of A.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Southern Baptists can be high (on Jesus) and dry. No alcohol sales on Sundays in wet counties and plenty of totally dry counties to boot. Speaking of boots, I could use one FULL of Hefeweizen right about now!

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:23 pm

rabble wrote:
But where is the place where there's no alcohol when people get together? I don't remember living in one.

Where did I say that? How about a place that doesn't make drinking the central theme at every fucking social event? Heavy drinking at bars? Yeah, that happens everywhere. But at Kids parties? At fundraisers for places like a children's museum or the public library?

I guess in Wisconsin people won't show up for anything unless there's plenty of booze available.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:26 pm

mifflander wrote:
rabble wrote:

Where did I say that? How about a place that doesn't make drinking the central theme at every fucking social event? Heavy drinking at bars? Yeah, that happens everywhere. But at Kids parties? At fundraisers for places like a children's museum or the public library?

I guess in Wisconsin people won't show up for anything unless there's plenty of booze available.

I'm just asking why you're complaining about Wisconsin. Aren't you really complaining about the US in general? Or maybe the whole world?

What places don't have drinking at fundraisers for kids things or any other things? They drank at kids parties when I was kid in Massatuchits.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:29 pm

A couple more things to piss you off. Wisconsin law allows parents to buy their kids alcohol in taverns. And we are the only state that doesn't criminalize first time drunk drivers.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:30 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:A couple more things to piss you off. Wisconsin law allows parents to buy their kids alcohol in taverns. And we are the only state that doesn't criminalize first time drunk drivers.

Yeah I forgot about that. The kids in the bars thing really surprised me.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Karachi
Dhaka
Cairo
Istanbul
Jakarta
Tehran
Baghdad
Riyadh
Kabul
Mecca
Medina

oh, and parts of London, of course. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... c-way.html

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:38 pm

You forget Ephraim in Door County.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:40 pm

rabble wrote:They drank at kids parties when I was kid in Massatuchits.

Chuck e Cheese has beer and there is a reason for that. They're franchised all over the place.

I met plenty of people from all over the US when I went to school here. I agree that Wisconsin has a reputation for the amount we drink, but in terms of the social drinking culture, I don't think we're much different than most other places.

mifflander wrote:As a non-drinker, you really notice how every social event has to have booze involved on some level. It's really not much fun, and occasionally incredibly annoying, to go see a band and you feel like the only person there not drunk.

Welcome to the world. Go to other countries where they actually have vending machines on the street with alcohol. I went to Italy where having wine during lunch was very normal. Go to Ireland. Period.

If you think Wisconsin is unique to global love for the booze, then you really don't get out much.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”