The Worst Bar n Madison

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Re: The Worst Bar n Madison

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Thusnelda wrote:Actually, I don't know how I forgot the Bean, especially since I regularly go there for trivia. One server for two full rooms of people eating full meals. Yikes.

And, of course, the KK, although it's in a KINGDOM by itself -- never mind class. I love how its day clientele is almost totally made of ancient emeriti eating a soup and salad special. I went there once many years ago as the last stop on a birthday bar crawl, asked for a White Russian, and was told I had to buy milk separately in its own wee carton. So I did, and after draining that drink I asked for another. They were out of the milk. It was 10 PM on a Friday.

Though I will credit you with choosing the official drink of Johnny Thunders; who is finishing a birthday pub crawl at 10PM....you must've been a brilliant mess..

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:50 pm

No one's going to mention Wiggie's? Seriously?

I remember one news story shortly after the smoking ban went into effect in which a staff member of Wiggie's was interviewed. They told a story about how after telling patrons they could not smoke inside, the patrons then threw food at them. It's a shithole bar in a shithole location that attracts shithead patrons. And it's owned by Dave Wiganowski.

Also, Good Times on Stoughton Rd. I do believe they've cleaned up their act in the last year or two, but it (along with Sports Pub a little to the north) was one of the thuggest places in town.

Honorable mention, Johnny Ho's/Brothers/Wandos, but at least they keep that particular crowd in that area and away from respectable establishments.

jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby jackisonian » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Ok a Wiggies story my bud and I went for a couple. The first one was serve in a glass glass nice and all that, we order a 2nd our glass turned into plastic cups when we said WTF we are told that at 10pm they switch plastic. Then I said well who would care if our second one was in glass the bartender pointed at the camera above the bar. The bartender was worried about losing their job if the did. The last beer I drank there was in that plastic cup.
Last edited by jackisonian on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Definitely the Sports Pub. Horrifying wait staff. Worse is across the street at the Ale Asylum. I know people like the beer, but they fail miserably as a bar. I had a friend who was leaving the country to return to the Motherland and we wanted to have a party there. We didn't ask for any special treatment, just an area to set up. Denied. Mind you it was happy hour and we were the only people there at the time.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Gotta be Top of the Swamp.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Gotta be Top of the Swamp.

Been driving the four-hour commute from Minneapolis for our bar scene, have you?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:29 pm

The Tip-Top would have to be on the short list as well.

Does anyone actually go there?

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:36 pm

All the bars within 3 miles of Camp Randall on a home football Saturday.

All bars within 1 mile of Camp Randall on an away football Saturday.

Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Right Bower » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Marvell wrote:The Tip-Top would have to be on the short list as well.

I wrote about this on another thread, but it fits here, and now:

The softball league I play in has two teams of late-20s to early-30s, both of which used to be sponsored by the Tip Top. So, at least on Wednesday evenings, there were between 20 and 25 guys with nearly the same number of attractive women in and around the Tip Top.

tillybob

Postby tillybob » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:04 am

Any bar in McFarland. ok - that doesn't really answer your question, but it's kind of the same thing. Horrible, horrible bars.

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Fri May 28, 2010 11:56 am

Marvell wrote:The Tip-Top would have to be on the short list as well.

I was there once.

At the very end of "Guy's Night Out!" with some friends that rarely get to escape due to attached wives and children, we wandered into the Tip Top.

One of my friends almost immediately made the acquaintance of a nice young lady that we'll simply call Bethamphetamine. She was attentive and he was drunk enough to buy her a couple drinks.

At this point I threw on $5 worth of Phil Collins and RHCP and fled the bar, as I had plans in the morning.

I guess 'ol Beth stayed with the group, even following them back to a friend's house at bartime to continue hanging out. Upon arrival at said friend's place, she informed the assembled group that she'd let them have sex with her for $150 / guy. Realizing that his buddy had just brought a prostitute into his home while his wife was out of town, the owner of the house flipped and demanded she be removed at once, whereupon the friend that had invited her gave her a ride home.

It gets even crazier from there, but I've probably already said too much.

I haven't been back to the Tip Top, but it'd seem that it's good for stories.

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Fri May 28, 2010 2:28 pm

That story just took the Tip-Top off the shit-bar list for me..

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri May 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Yep, more Bethamphetamine please.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Petro wrote:At this point I threw on $5 worth of Phil Collins and RHCP and fled the bar, as I had plans in the morning.

So, you should have played "Give it away", huh? Maybe they would've gotten a freebie....

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri May 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Geez. I don't think I've ever even set foot in the Tip-Top, but I could have told you not to "befriend" any of the "ladies" there.

Bethamphetamine is a GREAT stage name though, so at least something good came out of the experience (other than a salty tale).

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”