Bar Loyalty

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 am

I was often at the Plaza late in college, early in post-college, back when a pitcher of Bud cost $3.50. Then $4. Then $5. You could have a decent night there with $10 in your pocket.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 am

jjoyce wrote:Remember the "old" Genna's? Totally black interior and everybody there clad in same?

Oh yes. And the beloved, super-smoky 602, just down the block.

I also remember when Dotty's previous spot (now Overture) was Lundeen's, and Dotty's was still on regent. Don't remember all the way back to the Pirate Ship at the Lundeen's/Dotty's spot, though.

I was a regular at Lundeen's, though I can't remember the name of the short, bad-ass bartender with Serena Williams arms. I was also a regular at Stillwater's in the mid-80s, and the Nar Bar/Latin Club.

Sweet god, was drinking all I did back then?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:37 am

How about "dimers" at Schooners?
$5 could go a loooong way on those nights...

MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:44 am

How many of you actually know each other? I am a regular at one of the aforementioned bars but I have no idea who any of you people are.
Walter, people in their thirties don't need a bar within walking distance in order to get wasted every night, it is just better to not have to worry about driving home even if you have only had a few. Besides dontcha wanna meet the people in your neighborhood?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:49 am

As of April my neighborhood bar will be The Grumpy Troll. When The Vintage first opened I was a regular. The staff all knew us and would even let us stay and drink past bar time while they cleaned up. I knew if I popped on any given night there would be at least a couple people I hung out with there. Then it started to get pretty popular. There'd be a line to get in. Kind of ruined it but I still have a good time there.
We used to do happy hour at the Hody every single Tuesday for a good year and a half. Nothing special about the place but you can't beat $1 bottles of High Life. Still make it there once in a while but its normally for some event. Watched a Monday night Packer game there last year, the 2008 Elections. Never cared much for the other "regulars" but we always brought in enough of our own group that it felt like we knew everyone.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:50 am

jjoyce wrote:Remember the "old" Genna's? Totally black interior and everybody there clad in same?

My first run-in with Marty N.
Black Hair, Black Beard, Black sunglasses (day or night). Anybody know him/ seen him lately? Haven't crossed paths in years.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:50 am

I feel old on Twitter. To balance it out, I come here.

(Sorry guys, it's true!)

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:53 am

Re dates for the bar in the old railroad depot on W. Wash (whatever name you want to call it):

The Alexander Co. renovated it into a bar in the mid 1980s. I remember the general date because I made them some neon and got invited to the opening party.

Before the renovation the building had stood empty over a decade, since they quit running passenger rail to Madison in maybe 1972. The first bar (restaurant) in the location didn't last long. I don't remember the name, but they had a railroad theme and railroad murals on the walls. There was a series of other attempts to run a restaurant in the same place but none of them lasted long until the Kohl Center opened.

The Crandall's date of 1990 fits my recollection of the timeline pretty well.

And I'll spare you the details, but the 100 block of W. Main has a good-times history dating back decades before you guys were even born. One part involved a hippie anti-war newspaper, fugitives, and arson. Nobody cares any more, but there ought to be a historical location plaque on the whole block. Those funky old buildings and alley seem over and over to attract people looking for that certain something at a certain time in their lives.

I laughed when someone described the "old" Genna's during the all-black years. Before that phase, Genna's was an old-guy bar with maybe a northwoods theme (or was it Hawaiian? Hard to tell). I best remember the women's bathroom, which had sort of a lobby inside.

I myself was a regular at the sweet departed 602 for the entire decade of the 70s. For comparison to Joyce's numbers, I can tell you a schooner of beer at the Six was then 35 cents, so you could go out with a dollar and a nickel in your pocket and have three and walk home happy.

God, some of these places have long histories. There's as much continuity to a town's bar scene as there is to its government -- just less documentation.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:56 am

MeLurkyLongTime wrote:Walter, people in their thirties don't need a bar within walking distance in order to get wasted every night, it is just better to not have to worry about driving home even if you have only had a few. Besides dontcha wanna meet the people in your neighborhood?

Exactly. I get to my hangout an average of once a week. When I'm there, I typically have two pints, tops, over the course of 2-3 hours and often with a meal.

Even doing fairly modest, well-paced drinking, I'm always glad I'm not getting behind the wheel. I never want to be in the position of telling the police officer, "well, yes, I have been drinking, but I'm sure I didn't have too much to drive."

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:59 am

Isn't Marty at the Wisco?

MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:03 pm

jjoyce wrote:Isn't Marty at the Wisco?

He hasn't been there in years, still around but not bartender any longer.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Prior to the Plaza, I was at The Manor more often than anyplace else. This was the pre-cursor to what is now the Kennedy Manor Dining Room and was a college bar with nicer furniture, better bartenders and tastier food than most.

Am I wrong, or was that the kitchen where Jolly Bob cut his teeth? My introduction to jerk chicken were the cheap skewers you could buy right from the bar. Tasty and really hot. I have to think that Fred Mohs and his Kennedy Manor residents HATED that joint and the trashed college kids it dispatched.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:16 pm

MeLurkyLongTime wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Isn't Marty at the Wisco?

He hasn't been there in years, still around but not bartender any longer.

I had heard he headed to Florida. Haven't seen him since a Mad Rollin' Dolls match a few (?) years ago (still have the image of him in his, well, "lederhosen" outfit burned in my memory). But I digress...

Any fans of Le Tigre? I stopped in a couple of months ago. Without Steve behind the bar, it didn't seem the same. Still ranks up there with the best places to go if you don't want to be found. And what happened to the tiger???

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:32 pm

I just found this Doug Moe story about Buck's. Thought it will go well with this topic.

I'll tell my bar stories later, after I have a couple beers.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:02 pm

jman111 wrote:Any fans of Le Tigre? I stopped in a couple of months ago. Without Steve behind the bar, it didn't seem the same. Still ranks up there with the best places to go if you don't want to be found. And what happened to the tiger???

I'm not a regular, but definitely a fan. Paul is a damn good bartender.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”