Bar Loyalty

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby swoon_queen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:08 pm

unrelated to recent posts, but I dig how scrolling to the bottom of this particular thread offers the following options:

<== Return to Drinking or Jump To: Drinking

Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:24 pm

All at different times and mainly because of proximity to home.

Monkey Shines (Good Burger, Big John and Alysha rocked as bartenders, pool tables, good jukebox)

JT's Friendly Tavern ( Pool, Golden T, good jukebox, good burger and fried potatoes, Travis and Jason as great bartenders and even better weed finders)

The Pub (pool table by front window = great view, great jukebox)

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Walter wrote:They certainly are nice to scabby old trolls who order Cokes and don't hit on the bartenders.

You obviously haven't been taking the stress-reduction tips from Red Heat.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:45 pm

When we lived in town, the closest thing to a regular bar for us was the Lava Lounge. Not really in our neighborhood, but I just liked it there. It seemed to attract an offbeat clientele, and had a great jukebox. After we moved out to Middleton, we became more or less regulars at both the Village Green and the Hody, as both were a short walk from our place. We'd also hit Claddagh from time to time, as we knew one of the weekend bartenders.

Here in Bangor, we have a few regular places as well, although since football season ended we've been trying to cut back a bit on the boozing. Gotta get in shape for the beach.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:47 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Walter wrote:They certainly are nice to scabby old trolls who order Cokes and don't hit on the bartenders.

You obviously haven't been taking the stress-reduction tips from Red Heat.

Who said I have stress?

I'm perfectly calm.

Calmer than you, Dude.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:48 pm

Ok, without getting into the standard arguments, but just as an informal poll: How much time have you spent in bars since the smoking ban versus before?

Me: More; not to a particular place, but there are certainly more places I'll go regularly (Mickey's for example).

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:50 pm

Walter wrote:Calmer than you, Dude.

Uh huh. Next Motorz show I see you at, we're having a calm-off.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:52 pm

I quit smoking 14 years ago but I've been going to bars more in the last couple of years because of the smoking musical attractions.

And it's on at Mickey's, beans.

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:31 pm

20 years ago or so, when the 100 block of West Main was pretty much a shit box, when the Tornado was a dump called Larry's Steak House, before Genna's moved in, before college students would bother to venture to the square because there was little reason, and the Rising Sun was ... well, the Rising Sun was the Rising Sun, my then girlfriend, some friends and I wandered into a practically empty bar called the Paradise. This was back when the place was all regulars ... all half dozen or so of them. The bartender, Rick, was so glad to have new young blood in the joint that he was an incredibly gracious host. He gave us dollar bills with "Juke" written on them to plug the box, presumably because he figured we'd play tunes nobody else ever played. It was a different jukebox then. All classic rock and older. 45s maybe? Can't remember. Maybe I'm confusing that with the Caribou.

I'm not trying to say we made the place cool, but we hung out there before it was so considered.

Later, after running off to finish college, rambling around a bit and subsequently moving back to Madtown for good, I took up residence upstairs from the joint, right next door to the bath house. Let's just say there are a lot of stories associated with this time in my life. But yeah, I was a regular if ever there was one (at the bar, not the bath house). Nothing like being able to hop out for a drink in sub-zero weather and leave the coat at home. Nothing like being able to entertain a guest after 9:00 with a carryout 6-pack discretely spirited out the door to the alley (memo to Walter: I'm sure this practice was a rare privilege that has long since been discontinued).

Don't go there much anymore, but then I don't get out like I used to. Still have one of the best burgers in town though, and I think the basket of fries has increased in price a whole quarter in the last two decades or so.

Later I lived next door to the 'Bou on Blount. I was a regular there, sure, but as Dante will tell you, life's never really the same once you move out of Paradise.

Yep. Fun times. Wish I'd appreciated them more in the there and then. Funny how nostalgia works that way, ain't it?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:29 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote:...when the Tornado was a dump called Larry's Steak House...

How'd I miss that? I don't remember anything being there between Crandall's and Tornado. Larry's mustn't have been much. Crandall's, though, was jumping.

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:57 am

Ducatista wrote:How'd I miss that? I don't remember anything being there between Crandall's and Tornado. Larry's mustn't have been much. Crandall's, though, was jumping.

I guess I wasn't familiar with that niche of the square when Crandall's was there. Anyone know when it moved to the train depot location?

No, Larry's wasn't much. I think I went there for a fish fry once and was wholly unimpressed. The place had the feel of a rundown Avenue Bar or something.

Larry was my landlord when I lived above the 'dise. Well, actually I lived above the Cafe Marrakesh (y'all know it as the Frequency now), which I suspect was a drug front based on how long it was in business despite virtually no one ever eating there. Anyway, I believe ol' Larry owned the whole block and maybe still does. He was an interesting character. And a lawyer. So I'll leave it at that. Last thing I need is a libel suit slapped on my ass.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:00 am

ilikebeans wrote:
Walter wrote:Calmer than you, Dude.

Uh huh. Next Motorz show I see you at, we're having a calm-off.

Yeah, everybody come to the show and show your rock support by being completely calm. Bring something to knit.

I guess I follow RRNate around to Mickeys, the Crystal, the High Noon and the Frequency, as I frequent those as well. Especially Mickey's & Crystal as they are real close to home. Too close to home, actually.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:16 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote:I guess I wasn't familiar with that niche of the square when Crandall's was there. Anyone know when it moved to the train depot location?

I know it had been on W Main since the 40s, but I can't remember when the move happened. I didn't think it was the first restaurant in the Depot... I worked on Regent in the late 80s/early 90s, in the building that now houses Buck's, and we used to go to the little Hiawatha bar at the other end of the Depot. Café Kohoutek occupied the Depot for part of that time, as I recall. But maybe Crandall's came before that?

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote:
Ducatista wrote:How'd I miss that? I don't remember anything being there between Crandall's and Tornado. Larry's mustn't have been much. Crandall's, though, was jumping.

I guess I wasn't familiar with that niche of the square when Crandall's was there. Anyone know when it moved to the train depot location?

No, Larry's wasn't much. I think I went there for a fish fry once and was wholly unimpressed. The place had the feel of a rundown Avenue Bar or something.

Larry was my landlord when I lived above the 'dise. Well, actually I lived above the Cafe Marrakesh (y'all know it as the Frequency now), which I suspect was a drug front based on how long it was in business despite virtually no one ever eating there. Anyway, I believe ol' Larry owned the whole block and maybe still does. He was an interesting character. And a lawyer. So I'll leave it at that. Last thing I need is a libel suit slapped on my ass.

I'm fairly confident I was living in Madison by the time Crandall's moved off Main St., so it would have to have been circa 1990.

Something I'm guessing few people remember: The establishment that went in immediately afterward attempted to name itself "Krandall's", even using most of the original neon.

Maybe our bugaboo Flanders was the proprietor.

Regardless, Crandall's put the kibosh on that promptly. Larry's may or may not have been the continuation of that first, misguided effort.

The one meal I had at Larry's was breathtakingly mediocre. My wife and I mostly remember the plate of sliced sandwich bread served alongside our meals.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:16 am

Ducatista wrote:
Uncle_Leaver wrote:I guess I wasn't familiar with that niche of the square when Crandall's was there. Anyone know when it moved to the train depot location?

I know it had been on W Main since the 40s, but I can't remember when the move happened. I didn't think it was the first restaurant in the Depot... I worked on Regent in the late 80s/early 90s, in the building that now houses Buck's, and we used to go to the little Hiawatha bar at the other end of the Depot. Café Kohoutek occupied the Depot for part of that time, as I recall. But maybe Crandall's came before that?

I believe Crandall's *was* the first, round about '94. I remember going in there one night with some college friends who had started making some money in Chicago and upgraded their tastes from the Plaza. Prior to that, Crandall's on Main was a great supper club experience just a short walk from campus.

Remember the "old" Genna's? Totally black interior and everybody there clad in same?

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”