Bar Loyalty

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:24 pm

I've never been a regular at a bar until I started going to Mickey's. I'm starting to dig on Woody Anns off of Winnebago also, although I'm not close to being a regular there.

jtmehrin wrote:Follow Up question: how do feel about going in a bar you've never been in before? Why won't you go there? I've been to just about everybar in the Capital/State St area, but for some reason I've never been in the Silver Dollar. It's never come up as somewhere to go, and I've never suggested it.


I'll go into a bar I've never been to before just to give it a shot. Although I agree that I wouldn't go into a new bar with a line unless it's some crazy special occasion.

I went to the Silver Dollar quite a bit in my more youthful days. I still hit it every once in a while to start the night off. I can't say it's anything special except they are one of the few places that have shuffle board with a bumper. The only other place I know of is the Jade Monkey.

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:09 pm

HeyZeus wrote:The Jade Monkey is always a great place to drink with friends.


Is it really though? Before my wife got pregnant, we used to try and hang out at the Monkey a few times a months. I could never put my finger on it, but it just never felt comfortable. The only concrete thing I could point out is that the owner seems like a royal douchebag.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:18 pm

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:
HeyZeus wrote:The Jade Monkey is always a great place to drink with friends.


Is it really though? Before my wife got pregnant, we used to try and hang out at the Monkey a few times a months. I could never put my finger on it, but it just never felt comfortable. The only concrete thing I could point out is that the owner seems like a royal douchebag.


My friends and I always have a good time there.

I've heard good/bad about the owner, but I will give him props for turning a redneck shit hole into a nice bar.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4457
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby fennel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:11 pm

What makes a bar a "neighborhood bar?" Is it just a matter of walking distance, or does it have some singular trait that makes it uncommon, if not unique? It seems to me a real neighborhood bar would offer a monthly tab to regulars, especially if it doesn't accept credit cards. And it would always have a pot of chili on the stove.

And there would be no TVs, of course. Except for special occasions such as the U.S. footbal team making the World Cup final.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3676
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly
Contact:

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby rrnate » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:56 am

The only place I've ever been a regular is the Paradise. That being said, I go to a fair amount of shows and frequent Mickeys, the Crystal, the High Noon and the Frequency - however, I wouldn't consider myself a real-deal regular at any of those awesome places (since I usually only go for the show).

Also, I have considered becoming more of a local at Sweeney's Oak Crest Tavern on Old Middleton Road as it's right around the corner from my house, but so far the fish fry smell has mostly kept me away. (Similarly, I lived quite close to the Caribou for a long time but the "Sunday Afternoon Regulars" reminded me not to drink quite so much.)

If I was fancier, I would be a regular at the Malt House (which I love) but somehow it seems too far away.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1542
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 1:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby Galoot » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:27 am

The only bar I've ever been a regular at was the old JT Whitneys. I used to go there to grade papers and enjoy the bluegill fish fry.

I generally don't go to bars anymore though, since I have my alcoholic brother living with me. We're both pretty much on the wagon, and I'm fine with that.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1280
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:53 am

Heh, I was just thinking back to all the bars that I've been a "regular" at, and save one, the reason I started hanging out at each of them was there were cute gals who bartended at each who were very cool and who I had minor crushes on....wow, I'm almost impressed with how shallow I am......"hi! you smile when you talk to me, here's all my money!"

That being said, the common threads besides having a staff I liked was, the bartenders didn't always know my name, but always knew my drink, the place was big enough that I always could grab a spot at the bar, and if I just felt like chilling out for a quiet drink I wasn't forced to sit next to a chatty bunch of "real regulars," The Jukeboxes all had a good Cheap Trick, Weezer, Ramones, and Lit, selection. Lastly, most places I frequented may not have been real close to where I lived, but if necessary, I could hoof it home.

-Dan Motor

babelfish
Senior Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:31 pm

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby babelfish » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:41 pm

When my wife and I met, we became regulars at Oakcrest Tavern on Old Middleton Rd. We were there every week, usually on Wed for Fish Fry and Bloody Mary's! It is always nice when the bartender knows what you drink when you sit down...makes you feel at home.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:23 pm
Location: east side

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby swoon_queen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:57 pm

This is a great thread. I'd call myself a regular at Alchemy. close to my house, really friendly staff, great food, and they switch the taps up enough/carry enough interesting brews that one never gets bored going there. I think my friends and I tend to be regulars at bars that serve food (Alchemy, Mickey's, Weary) because there's no reason to leave. It's nice to know that an entire evening can be whiled away at one table.

The Malt House is a comfy neighborhood option too.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Have to give props to Alchemy and Jade Monkey as well. Probably only a twice annual visitor at those places though.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:28 am
Location: Motorzburg

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby Walter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:09 pm

rrnate wrote:I go to a fair amount of shows and frequent Mickeys, the Crystal, the High Noon and the Frequency - however, I wouldn't consider myself a real-deal regular at any of those awesome places (since I usually only go for the show).


+1. And those places are all great. They certainly are nice to scabby old trolls who order Cokes and don't hit on the bartenders.

I wasn't aware of the bar regular phenomenon until I moved to WI. When I moved to Madison ten years later, people asked me what my neighborhood bar was, which I didn't understand until it was explained that's where you go drinking near your house so you don't get an OWI. I was 31 at the time and it struck me as odd that people expected me to go out drinking and get hammered so often I needed to have a place that was within walking distance, especially at that age. 21, sure. But 31 and married? Maybe the people who asked me, who were at least 5 to 8 years younger, aren't representative of the larger population. Any natives care to weight in?

Where I grew up a regular was kind of synonymous with barfly. Different cultures depending what side of the Mississippi River you're on, I suppose. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm loyal to any bar that has live music I like. Though cute bartenders don't hurt, either.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7071
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Take it from one who knows

Postby Marvell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:23 pm

Walter wrote:Though cute bartenders don't hurt, either.


Oh, yes they do.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4457
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Re: Take it from one who knows

Postby fennel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm

Marvell wrote:
Walter wrote:Though cute bartenders don't hurt, either.

Oh, yes they do.

Yes, indeed. When you're swooning even before your first drink, things can quickly get out of control.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4943
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby Ducatista » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:19 pm

Haven't thought about this for a long time, but for a year or so in the early 90s I was a regular at the Echo. This was pre-expansion, back when it was a little townie tavern. One of the Echo traditions was for patrons to stand up on the bar and stop the ceiling fan with their tongue. Gross! I never did it, but a good friend did, and she survived with no apparent ill effects.

The Echo's the only bar where I ever indulged in one of life's great clichés: I met a sailor (seriously, a Navy guy in uniform) and took him home. I survived that with no apparent ill effects, except that he phone-stalked me for at least 6 months after.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Re: Bar Loyalty

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Walter wrote:
rrnate wrote:I go to a fair amount of shows and frequent Mickeys, the Crystal, the High Noon and the Frequency - however, I wouldn't consider myself a real-deal regular at any of those awesome places (since I usually only go for the show).


+1. And those places are all great. They certainly are nice to scabby old trolls who order Cokes and don't hit on the bartenders.

I wasn't aware of the bar regular phenomenon until I moved to WI. When I moved to Madison ten years later, people asked me what my neighborhood bar was, which I didn't understand until it was explained that's where you go drinking near your house so you don't get an OWI. I was 31 at the time and it struck me as odd that people expected me to go out drinking and get hammered so often I needed to have a place that was within walking distance, especially at that age. 21, sure. But 31 and married? Maybe the people who asked me, who were at least 5 to 8 years younger, aren't representative of the larger population. Any natives care to weight in?

Where I grew up a regular was kind of synonymous with barfly. Different cultures depending what side of the Mississippi River you're on, I suppose. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm loyal to any bar that has live music I like. Though cute bartenders don't hurt, either.


I think live music venues and bars that one is a "regular" at should be kept somewhat separate. I actually go to Mickey's a lot less now that they have live music all the time. Not sure if being a regular implies that you drink too much, but probably. In my barfly days being a regular meant the staff knew you, you got free drinks, and you could get served after hours. Have only rec'd free drinks a few times here, but that's more a function of not being a regular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCBdgELEBMc


Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest