Tasty Beer

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
mad_hand

Tasty Beer

Postby mad_hand » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:16 pm

My contribution to TDPF: a thread in the "Drinking" category that has nothing to do with coffee, fighting, or coupons.

Today's beer: Sam Adams Noble Pils. Tasty, hoppy (but not overboard). Nice and refreshing.

http://www.samueladams.com wrote:
This year, the Beer Lover’s Choice Program had the highest number of tasters in its five year history, with more than 68,000 votes casts during more than 1,300 tasting events held across the country over the summer.

The voters response to the new Noble Pils was so enthusiastic, with 37,855 votes, that the brewers have decided to make Samuel Adams Noble Pils the new spring seasonal brew. Samuel Adams Noble Pils, a hoppy pilsner beer brewed with all five Noble Hop varieties, will be available nationwide beginning in mid-January replacing Samuel Adams® White Ale as the spring seasonal and in the Brewermaster’s Collection 12-pack.

Next might be the Eisphyre if I can still find some.

babelfish

Re: Tasty Beer

Postby babelfish » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:44 pm

a thread called tasty beer needs some more options...local options

leinie's 1888 bock
new glarus crack'd wheat
tyranena bitter woman ipa
esser's best
lake louie warped speed scotch ale

leinie's sunset wheat tastes good in the summer

ok, now i am thinking about how badly i want summer to come

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Yeah gee, I wonder where we can get more recos for local beers, there are never any on here... :D

Once in awhile I'll pick up a mix pack of Sam at Costco, their brews are pretty damned good. I like most of the good local offerings, but Sunset Wheat (and Spotted Cow) taste like corn syrup to me, not beer. Locally, I'm enjoying the Cap Pilsner lately, anyone try the latest NG Road Slush? Loved it last year. Their newish Honey Bock is pretty good too. Also, the new Ale Asylum Mercy Grand Cru is a good approximation of a nice Belgian. I've tried the Hopaliscious in limited quants as well, nice. Have to try Bell's Hopslam next.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:33 pm

I was at Alchemy the other night, and had a couple goblets of the Pearl Street Tambois. Apparently it's available only at Pearl Street Brewery in La Crosse, and Alchemy. Pretty tasty, if you like framboise ale.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:44 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Sunset Wheat (and Spotted Cow) taste like corn syrup to me, not beer.

Oh no you didn't just liken Spotted Cow to Sunset Wheat-- back to Boston with ya!

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:48 pm

No, just both have this sickly sweet non-beer flavor. Sunset Wheat is a lot stronger and more artificial. Can't get behind either really, and find the use of Spotted Cow or Leinies (or PBR) as an exemplar of a "good" Wisconsin beer to be laughable.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:14 pm

Do people who like wheat beer also drink merlot? Just wonderin'.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:19 pm

*whew* Ok, at least you recognize that Sunset Wheat is much stronger in that direction than Spotted Cow. Sounds like your tastes run more toward the bitter.

While certainly not the best in the state, I still like a Cow on occasion. But Sunset is easily the worst bottled beer I've ever had the misfortune of purchasing. Tried it once in a bar on tap, and while it wasn't as cloying, that was the last one I've had or will have.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:28 pm

I like wheat beers, my favorite is Julius Echter. I typically like Germans, but I do enjoy the Dane's version too. Usually I will have one or two, then switch to a Pale Ale.

I find Spotted Cow to be the "fancy" beer that Miller Lite drinkers will drink. I think its a shame that to a certain percentage of the WI population, this is the beer that embodies what NG does. Not even close. Its OK, and its one of the more drinkable of their beers...but there's a whole wide world of beer out there.

kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby kweetech » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:00 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I like wheat beers, my favorite is Julius Echter. I typically like Germans, but I do enjoy the Dane's version too. Usually I will have one or two, then switch to a Pale Ale.

I find Spotted Cow to be the "fancy" beer that Miller Lite drinkers will drink. I think its a shame that to a certain percentage of the WI population, this is the beer that embodies what NG does. Not even close. Its OK, and its one of the more drinkable of their beers...but there's a whole wide world of beer out there.

SC is a gateway beer...it does its job well
I liken it to the Fat Tire of WI

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:04 pm

Fat Tire is good.

kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby kweetech » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:34 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Fat Tire is good.

meh...wouldn't rank it up there with anything I like to drink. It appeals to the masses...and brings folks into the real world of beers. Certainly not better than SC...

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:48 pm

Geez I wonder if you would think that if you weren't from here.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:46 am

The axiom runs true: tasty beer is a matter of taste. My taste in beer runs towards the hoppy. I love IPAs. Locally, New Glarus Hearty Hop is my favorite. I like plenty of others, especially the Avery from Boulder, CO. I can only find it at Brennan's.

As far as lagers, I do like genuine pilsners from the Czech Republic or Bohemia.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:53 am

New Belgium Fat Tire. New Glarus Spotted Cow. Yuengling Traditional Lager. All regional beers that get the expats talking when they move somewhere else, because it's sort of like mother's milk. You don't really need it anymore--you've moved onto bigger and better things--but it's reminiscent of a nice place you used to be.

Not ironically, they all score about the same on Beer Advocate.

Fat Tire
Spotted Cow
Yuengling

I've definitely come around to hoppy beers, but unlike your Blunts and white_rabbits of the world, I prefer to have something else going on besides the hop-hammer. Bells Hopslam is really good. Ale Asylum Satisfaction Jacksin is nice. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is a pinch too bitter for regular drinkin', but it's nice for a bottle or two in the winter.

Abita Turbodog and Sprecher Black Bavarian are a couple other go-to's for me.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”