Union House Tavern

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Keep it Union House!

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:09 am

bill6beers wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:Why not keep it Union House and have a few photos and pieces of Union House's historical past, on the wall?

Bwis53,
Perhaps you missed this in my original post:
"The 150 year-old bar and back bar are still there, looking fabulous in their old age. I also have the old historic photos that people keep stopping in to ask about. They're going back up on the walls. "

Two of these old photos are of the old Union House Hotel when it was on the site of the (now razed) gas station. The other (very large) photo is of 19th century Camp Randall.

The current building that houses the bar was built in the 1950s when they tore down the 100 y.o. hotel to build the gas station. The Esser family owned the hotel and built this building so they could save the old bar. The current building is poured concrete, very solid, and not all THAT historical. Still...the site is historical because of the old hotel and the remaining bar & backbar. I understand that the liquor license might be the longest tenured license, having never expired between any of the business transitions since 1858.

The old tavern was, at one time, known as Schulkamp's Corner Saloon when it was in the hotel...http://snurl.com/239sp or search for Union House at http://www.wisconsinhistory.org. It was called the Union House Hotel for much, but not all, of its life.

I changed the name to reflect the fact the this is a new incarnation of the tavern and people should not expect the same old Union House, exactly because of some of the vice and atmospheric issues people have alluded to. But the history remains. I hear there are 19th century bullet holes behind the mirrors.

The new name has historic Madison roots too. The Hausmann Brewing Co used to have a tap room in their malting facility on Sherman Ave next to the Tenney Park locks. The taproom was called The Malt House, and was very popular with UW students who rode the trolley out to the end of the line there to drink, as there was a prohibition on bars near campus. As a beer geek myself, and a lover of history, I wanted the new name to reflect brewing tradition.

Bwis53, come on over and share a glass with the old ghosts. You can almost feel their boots as they hit the old steel foot rail.
--Bill

Best bar operator ever.

But wait...

bill6beers wrote:trolley

Oh no! Now pm will never go there! Heh.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:19 pm

mrak wrote:
Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:That's not far from my domicile...

I wrote:...and as I live within walking distance...

EastSideTom wrote:I, too, live within staggerin......I mean walking distance...

magic moose wrote:I'll be making the 4-5 block walk in good time.

Beer Moon wrote:It's in walking distance from my house...

Yikes! My neighborhood is lousy with Forons!

You can add me to this list.

Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Exploding Pinto » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:57 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
mrak wrote:
Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:That's not far from my domicile...

I wrote:...and as I live within walking distance...

EastSideTom wrote:I, too, live within staggerin......I mean walking distance...

magic moose wrote:I'll be making the 4-5 block walk in good time.

Beer Moon wrote:It's in walking distance from my house...

Yikes! My neighborhood is lousy with Forons!

You can add me to this list.

Cripes, me too. Hello neighbors.

Bill, great news and congrats. I saw someone working on the windows last weekend and wondered what was up. Please do let us know when you have an opening date nailed down.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:08 pm

Close enough to walk, in the summer anyway.

Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:21 pm

You can't all be so surprised that so many forons are practically neighbors, can you? My time spent lurking leaves me surprised that there are any NON-east-siders posting here! :lol:

That said, this part of town is ripe with newer (or under-new-ownership) places for bar crawls: Dexters, Malt House, Alchemy, Ale Asylum. It's Madison, though... I shouldn't be surprised.

Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:55 am

Anyone have updates on the status of the Malt House?

I have pals coming into town the day before Great Taste tickets go on sale (Sat, May 3), and we're considering adding the Malt House to our crawl itinerary if it's ready at that point.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:14 am

is that SAT or SUN? last yr it was a SUN.

fyi-it's $35 now. :(

Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:22 am

Paco wrote:is that SAT or SUN? last yr it was a SUN.

fyi-it's $35 now. :(

I should clarify: tickets are still sold on Sunday, but my bar crawl happens on Saturday.

In my opinion, $35 is still a great deal for this fest, and I'd pay more than that to go.

We're less than four months out now! :D

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:51 pm

So is this joint open yet or what?

I'm thirsty.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:11 am

green union terrace chair wrote:So is this joint open yet or what?

I'm thirsty.

Bill.....or someone who knows....please give an update when you have a moment.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:41 pm

And take down the "Pepsi" signs from off the exterior, fer crissake.

District 12 Mom

Postby District 12 Mom » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:56 pm

It's been great having Dexter's in the neighborhood (though I also liked Sandlot). Looking forward to spending some evenings at the Malt House, too. See you all there.

bill6beers

Postby bill6beers » Thu May 01, 2008 4:50 pm

Thanks for your patience, all. We're getting close, but won't be ready GT ticket sales weekend. I'll be doing some GT and homebrewer stuff Sunday so not much work will get done on the bar that day either. My days are spent at the office, and it takes a while to get over there each night. You know, a day job really interferes with your fun, doesn't it? We should be ready to go by mid-May or so. Hang in there!

BTW, I saw another thread by someone lameting the lack of intellectual discussion in taverns lately. I hope all you smarty-pants out there will come to my fancy-pants beer bar and help us solve all the world's problems on the back of my cocktail napkins. <grin>

There'll be music, but it'll be *background* music so people can talk to each other. I'm hoping to stay TV-less too, but that'll mean I need enough conversationalists in there to keep my bartenders busy so I don't have to resort to TVs. It'll be tough come Packer season though....

Sound good?

--Bill

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu May 01, 2008 7:21 pm

bill6beers wrote: I'm hoping to stay TV-less too, but that'll mean I need enough conversationalists in there to keep my bartenders busy so I don't have to resort to TVs.

Hey Aaron, this sounds like your kind of place.

Good to hear it's coming along, Bill.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri May 02, 2008 10:09 am

Thanks for the update Bill. I'm all in favor of a TV-less environment, but it will be hard to stick to during Packer season, so I wish you luck.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”