Union House Tavern

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:29 pm

Nice, with Dexter's and now this the choices out here on the E. side are getting better and better.

OK, so we're forons-- what would a foron bar be called?

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:24 pm

Yes, my tone was unnecessarily asinine. I'm in favor of anything that improves the area, and good beer too.
But, you'll need to monitor the parking lot and chase away some vice type activities from time to time. I've seen things...

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:22 pm

massimo wrote:OK, so we're forons-- what would a foron bar be called?

Foron the Floor.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:30 pm

Marvell wrote:Foron the Floor.

I knew I could count on you! Here I am thinking "Foron the Bar," i.e. a drunk foron passed out, head on the bar, but that's pretty weak.

Don't sell yourself short, Marvell, you are fish-killing genius.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:23 pm

http://www.madison.com/archives/read.ph ... 260400.php

I was kinda bummed that McGrath had this place and had given up hope, after reading the above article. I wonder how I missed what transpired inbetween?

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:27 pm

Bwis53 wrote:http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=/wsj/2007/09/27/0709260400.php

I was kinda bummed that McGrath had this place and had given up hope, after reading the above article. I wonder how I missed what transpired inbetween?

At least it didn't get torn down before it was realized that the city was not quite ready for the Union Corners project. I hope Bill is able to make it an enough of a success so that it avoids any future designs on demolition in favor of development.

hecky
Forum Addict

Postby hecky » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:24 am

I'm so glad that a historic building will be retained at a historic crossroads. The Union Corners empty lot makes me sad every time I pass it. Why not build single family homes there? That's what the neighborhood primarily is anyway. Think of the number of people who love the near east side who would jump at the chance to be able to build a brand new home there.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:16 pm

Good to hear! It was pretty depressing in it's old incarnation imo.

It's in walking distance from my house, so I'll definitely stop in this summer.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:28 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:That's not far from my domicile...

I wrote:...and as I live within walking distance...

EastSideTom wrote:I, too, live within staggerin......I mean walking distance...

magic moose wrote:I'll be making the 4-5 block walk in good time.

Beer Moon wrote:It's in walking distance from my house...

Yikes! My neighborhood is lousy with Forons!

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Question for Bill; Are you retaining the name Union House for the bar or will it be named something else?

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:13 pm

I think he wrote that it was going to be called Malt House. I'd prefer Hop House myself.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:22 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:I think he wrote that it was going to be called Malt House. I'd prefer Hop House myself.

Ooops...sorry...I missed that, thanks. I don't blame him from shying away from "Union" considering the eyesore the aborted "Union Corners" project created in that neighborhood, but considering the history that's kind of sad.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Keep it Union House!

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:30 pm

Gatsby's in Arlington Hts,Il., remodeled their old bar, years ago. Fortunately, for us sentimental (old) types, they also kept their old bar.

You can almost feel the ghosts of everyone who ever leaned on that bar.

Why not keep it Union House and have a few photos and pieces of Union House's historical past, on the wall?

As I gazed at the old Gates of Heaven photos today, I couldn't help think of it's original location.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:44 am

hecky wrote:The Union Corners empty lot makes me sad every time I pass it. Why not build single family homes there? That's what the neighborhood primarily is anyway. Think of the number of people who love the near east side who would jump at the chance to be able to build a brand new home there.

I hear Red Letter News is now planning on building a 3-story strip club on that lot :shock:

bill6beers

Re: Keep it Union House!

Postby bill6beers » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:57 am

Bwis53 wrote:Why not keep it Union House and have a few photos and pieces of Union House's historical past, on the wall?

Bwis53,
Perhaps you missed this in my original post:
"The 150 year-old bar and back bar are still there, looking fabulous in their old age. I also have the old historic photos that people keep stopping in to ask about. They're going back up on the walls. "

Two of these old photos are of the old Union House Hotel when it was on the site of the (now razed) gas station. The other (very large) photo is of 19th century Camp Randall.

The current building that houses the bar was built in the 1950s when they tore down the 100 y.o. hotel to build the gas station. The Esser family owned the hotel and built this building so they could save the old bar. The current building is poured concrete, very solid, and not all THAT historical. Still...the site is historical because of the old hotel and the remaining bar & backbar. I understand that the liquor license might be the longest tenured license, having never expired between any of the business transitions since 1858.

The old tavern was, at one time, known as Schulkamp's Corner Saloon when it was in the hotel...http://snurl.com/239sp or search for Union House at http://www.wisconsinhistory.org. It was called the Union House Hotel for much, but not all, of its life.

I changed the name to reflect the fact the this is a new incarnation of the tavern and people should not expect the same old Union House, exactly because of some of the vice and atmospheric issues people have alluded to. But the history remains. I hear there are 19th century bullet holes behind the mirrors.

The new name has historic Madison roots too. The Hausmann Brewing Co used to have a tap room in their malting facility on Sherman Ave next to the Tenney Park locks. The taproom was called The Malt House, and was very popular with UW students who rode the trolley out to the end of the line there to drink, as there was a prohibition on bars near campus. As a beer geek myself, and a lover of history, I wanted the new name to reflect brewing tradition.

Bwis53, come on over and share a glass with the old ghosts. You can almost feel their boots as they hit the old steel foot rail.
--Bill

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”