Middleton Sting is on again

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Middleton Sting is on again

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:52 am

Just a heads up for industry folk around the burb. Its the usuall game. The Sting will show her id when asked, but she's born in '88.

Start carding kids you don't recognize!

Dan Motor

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:22 am

Or, y'know, start obeying the law!

(is this post for real?)

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:34 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Or, y'know, start obeying the law!

(is this post for real?)

Jackass, yeah it’s for real. Anybody who's waited tables, bartended, or worked anywhere that sells alcohol, doesn't try to sell to people underage. We have to live in same communities we work, and you get to know just about everyone in that community by name, face, or reputation. We're not assholes trying to get around the law. But if you have an off night, or get super busy and forget to look at a face before you cash out a sale, you're out a chunk of change that, I for one can't afford.

I'm pretty fucking insulted that you just assumed that I'm going out of my way to sell to every underage person that's not part of the Sting just to buck the system. It's my liquor license, and my part-time jobs are part of my income. Take the high-and-mighty shtick somewhere else.

Dan Motor

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:35 am

Who the hell is the Middleton Sting? Never heard of her.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:38 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:I'm pretty fucking insulted that you just assumed that I'm going out of my way to sell to every underage person that's not part of the Sting just to buck the system.

I assumed that much, huh? Where, exactly, did you read that in my post?

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:51 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I assumed that much, huh? Where, exactly, did you read that in my post?

Go away. I'm done with you.

-Dan Motor

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:01 am

Maybe they should go after the parents in Middleton who hold underage drinking parties for their kids instead of targeting bars that are, for the most part, compliant with the law.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:04 am

Well, as an epitaph to my contribution to this thread before I get locked out, let me say this.

I certainly never meant to indicate that you were trying to break the law, or intending to serve minors.

I do think, however, that asking for an ID is a pretty easy thing to do, and should become habit over time. I've worked retail, I've stood at a register, and I've done a mall Christmas. I know how busy it gets, and asking for ID with checks or credit cards became a very quick habit.

These kinds of "hey! do the thing you're supposed to be doing because the Man is watching now" things just rub me the wrong way. I work in corrections, and that's the kind of mentality in which I'm immersed on a daily basis. It's a lazy way to do things, and I don't get the impression you're a lazy person.

My exhortation is not meant just for you, so don't take it so personally. But just ask for an ID. You yourself stated that it's an expensive-ass fine. That should pretty much cement this habit into a good bartender/server/retailer's brain.

That's all. If you think I assumed more, then you need to investigate the basis for that mistaken understanding.

And ShaneDog, that's a great idea. I agree with the first half. Bars and other retailers should not be left to run free because "most" are compliant.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:50 am

Yeah, but it's different with booze. For some reason, some people get offended when asked for ID, particularly if they're regulars. On the other hand, there's me who, at a ripe 37, was carded numerous times over the weekend in Minneapolis/St. Paul and chuckled every time.

I think it's just part of the culture here. We believe getting loaded is our right and want as few obstacles placed in our way as possible.

I've got to wonder how much money the Middleton heat got from MADD or wherever for this thing.
Last edited by jjoyce on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:57 am

Is this about a sting operation that Middleton cops do that goes like this?

Girl goes into bar and orders drink.
Wait staff or bartender asks for ID.
Girl gives ID to staff.
Wait staff or bartender doesn't look carefully at ID, and gets trouble because,
a. Girl's ID has her photo, but the birth date shows her to be under 21, or
b. Birth date shows her to be 21, but it's not her photo.

I think I read about this somewhere. The problem is that the staff person isn't carefully checking both dates and photos.

Or am I completely confused?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:03 pm

jjoyce wrote:On the other hand, there's me who, at a ripe 37, was carded numerous times over the weekend in Minneapolis/St. Paul and chuckled every time.

If I'm wearing a baseball cap, I get carded. If I'm not, I don't.

That's what salt and pepper by age 18 gets ya.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:04 pm

RB, you're right. It's often the first one, too. And those who have worked behind a bar on a busy night can understand that one. You're waiting on 20 people and ask for an ID, only to realize that you didn't actually read any of the words on it. I mean, why would someone give you an ID that proves they're not of age?

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:04 pm

roadkill bill wrote:Is this about a sting operation that Middleton cops do that goes like this?

Girl goes into bar and orders drink.
Wait staff or bartender asks for ID.
Girl gives ID to staff.
Wait staff or bartender doesn't look carefully at ID, and gets trouble because,
a. Girl's ID has her photo, but the birth date shows her to be under 21, or
b. Birth date shows her to be 21, but it's not her photo.

I think I read about this somewhere. The problem is that the staff person isn't carefully checking both dates and photos.

Or am I completely confused?

Option A. It's about as simple as they come. The Server gets lazy/busy/whatever and doesn't do the math with the DOB or doesn't card in the first place.

Think of this thread as a flash of the headlights on the highway from an oncoming motorist to let you know there's a cop up the way.

-Dan Motor

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:07 pm

Is she hot?

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:22 pm

See, Dan, if you had just explained to the less well informed, it would save some heat and shed some light.

I have heard of option B in quite a few downtown Madison establishments. In that case, I'm guessing it's the bouncer that wants to let in the hot girl, and claims he actually checked her ID. Well, he did, but the girl he let in was 5'3" with straight brown hair, big blue eyes, and a tiny nose. However the ID belonged to a very tall girl with curly blond hair, a long nose, and small brown eyes.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”