Mickey's Really Does Have Good Food!

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:09 pm

skippy wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:Is the Weary Traveler is "just another fucking bar and grill"?

From my experience, yes it is. They do have great beer there, however. Almost everything about that place is safe and anodyne. Everyone is urban outfitted and looks middle class. No character.

That is an incredibly lame critique of an establishment. A good 50% of your beef with the place is about the people who go there. That is the most superficial BS reason you could provide to criticize the WT.

A bar that has great beer. That sounds terrible to me.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:10 pm

ilikebeans wrote: Bitter much? Is the Weary Traveler is "just another fucking bar and grill"? You would have no problem sitting on a barstool of spilled drink instead of food? Settle down.

No
No (it's much more smug)
No (as in, "no problem")
No

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:12 pm

narcoleptish wrote:No
No (it's much more smug)
No (as in, "no problem")
No

Calmer'n you are, Dude.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:21 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Sorry, but I maintain that food ruins a bar. Mickey's was a classic, cool, one of a kind tavern. Now it's just another fucking bar & grill. RIP.

Food doesn't have to ruin things, IMO. Remember the Cellar Bar, where the Greenbush now squats? What a great little basement-rec-room tavern that was, and the Cellar Burger (beef, a round of fried salami, banana peppers) fucking rocked.

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:26 pm

If the WT would just clean their tap lines, maybe you could taste the difference between what is offered...
The last time I had Octoberfest there, it tasted like cat piss...

TheBookPolice wrote:
skippy wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:Is the Weary Traveler is "just another fucking bar and grill"?

From my experience, yes it is. They do have great beer there, however. Almost everything about that place is safe and anodyne. Everyone is urban outfitted and looks middle class. No character.

That is an incredibly lame critique of an establishment. A good 50% of your beef with the place is about the people who go there. That is the most superficial BS reason you could provide to criticize the WT.

A bar that has great beer. That sounds terrible to me.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:43 pm

Fine, no more pickin on mickey's from me. I just like the option of going to a bar that doesn't smell of grease and not having to watch drunk people eat. Mickey's was that.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:04 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I considered Mickey's a real bar because they DIDN'T serve food. There's nothing like a drunk who realizes at 11:00 pm that he forgot to eat supper, orders up a big sloppy burger basket and proceeds to make a mess of everything within a 2-foot radius of himself. No one should have to see that. Or clean up after it. (speaking from experience)

What makes your post patently ridiculous, of course, is that Mickey's has always served food, unless you don't consider Tombstone Pizza food.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:35 pm

Ducatista wrote:Food doesn't have to ruin things, IMO. Remember the Cellar Bar, where the Greenbush now squats? What a great little basement-rec-room tavern that was, and the Cellar Burger (beef, a round of fried salami, banana peppers) fucking rocked.

Does this mean you don't care for the Greenbush? In my eyes, they're another great current example of a bar/restaurant combo.

I've gone there many times for afternoon drinks, had dinner, then stayed well into the night. I've also been there just for drinks, with no smell of grease, and no drunks spreading their food all over the place.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:09 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Does this mean you don't care for the Greenbush? In my eyes, they're another great current example of a bar/restaurant combo.

OK, "squats" was overdoing it. I've been to the Greenbush only twice, and both times it was perfectly pleasant, just nothing special. I miss the Cellar's crazy/cozy basement vibe, so I'm probably judging the 'bush unfairly.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:14 pm

Ducatista wrote: Food doesn't have to ruin things

You're right. I like the Harmony, Wonders, Nickel, et al. I just liked it the way it was. An option to not be around the eaters. To just have a drink or three in an establishment solely for that purpose. Never mind the fatass in the corner eating the pizza.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:56 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Never mind the fatass in the corner eating the pizza.

You mean like you've done at Mickey's for the past ten years or more? Look, I am sorry if you forgot that Mickey's has served pizza for many years and therefore ruins your whole "but I maintain that food ruins a bar" theory. You and your theories suck.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:47 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote: mickey's..pizza..years..

Yes, they've had pizza. I don't count it. Kinda like beef jerky. I'm talking about a grill and a fryer and grease and dollops of mayo on the ground and people with kids and disgusting condiment containers and frail looking hipsters treating french fries like a meal.

Easy street huh? So you still live with your mother.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:46 pm

Narco, your expression of repulsion to food leads me to believe that you are currently being possessed by a very thinly disguised evil spirit of Karen Carpenter.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:53 am

Beer is food.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:58 am

People eat too much.

Thanks for the laughs though, this thread needs more humor.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”