Bad beer just got worse

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3791
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:35 am

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:30 pm

eriedasch wrote: So you only like High Life, Ale Asylum, and Lake Louie and you are calling others beer snobs?


The inflection in my voice was lost on the printed word. The "am" in my sentence was to show that I do appreciate some microbrews, as well as, good ole macro miller. I enjoy dozens of different beers. Hell, I even enjoy corona for those times when I want a beer but don't really want to feel it. I just find that most beer snobs put their snobbery aside when the beer's coming out of someone else's fridge.

Free beer. Now THAT'S living the High Life!

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3791
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:35 am

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:34 pm

GenieU wrote:Perrrsonally, I prefer Blatz or Huber on the lower end...But High Life in clear bottles has a sweet taste with just a hint Formaldahyde at the finish.


Huber Bock.....I seem to remember really liking that beer. Thanks for the reminder.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7017
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby Marvell » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:37 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I just find that most beer snobs put their snobbery aside when the beer's coming out of someone else's fridge.

Free beer. Now THAT'S living the High Life!


I guess we're strangers, then.

Budweiser? Coors - lite or otherwise? Any 'light' beer?

Leave it in the fridge, pal - I ain't that thirsty yet.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3791
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:35 am

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:12 pm

I have a friend who stocks only Old Mil light, and I usually take a pass on that. I wasn't trying to sound like a mooch, I've provided ten times more beer than I've ever accepted. To each their own, but I have to ask, did you ever drink macro? You know, like 15 years ago.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21594
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:49 pm

Marvell wrote:Any 'light' beer?


Why is light beer like making love in a canoe?







They're both fucking near water.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7017
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby Marvell » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:12 pm

narcoleptish wrote:To each their own, but I have to ask, did you ever drink macro? You know, like 15 years ago.


To quote the Good Book:

When I became a man, I put aside childish things.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2396
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:26 pm

Postby mrak » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:21 pm

jjoyce wrote:I love me some High Life as well and think the best beer ads in decades were the High Life spots with that right-wing voice over guy talking about various methods for enjoying the high life. Black/white shot of a stove with bacon cooking, guy leaning against a rake in his yard shaking his head at his neighbor trying to back a boat into his driveway. "Used to be a man could be counted on to commandeer his own vehicle."

Great stuff, the work of the incomparable documentary filmmaker Errol Morris.

Here's the whole bunch:
http://www.errolmorris.com/commercials/miller.html

blunt
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby blunt » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:06 pm

eriedasch wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Fucking beer snobs. Miller High Life is just fine. You want a shitty beer, how about stella, or sierra nevada pale ale, or pabst, or hamms. I like the great dane but I wouldn't drink any of their beer. I am a fan of ale asylum and lake louie, but high life is my default beer.

So you only like High Life, Ale Asylum, and Lake Louie and you are calling others beer snobs?

I thought a beer snob was someone who only drank the expensive stuff and turned their nose up at Miller, Bud, Coors, and the other watery macrobrews.


Wow.
Narco: calling Sierra Nevada a shitty beer and putting it together with pabst, hamms, etc, is patently ridiculous.
You may not like Sierra but it is most certainly NOT shitty. Bad taste on your part doesn't ipso facto mean the beer does. Pabst and Hamms are cheap shitty beers but they still may taste good to some people.
It's like you're saying Seinfeld is a shitty show, like Full House, and Dr. Phil.
Apples and oranges, apples and oranges.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3791
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:35 am

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:19 pm

blunt wrote: patently ridiculous.


Good band name.

I would never deny anybody their enjoyment of sierra blah blah. Someone has to keep it rotated.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2925
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2001 4:05 pm
Location: east side of Madison
Contact:

Postby eriedasch » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:45 pm

blunt wrote:Narco: calling Sierra Nevada a shitty beer and putting it together with pabst, hamms, etc, is patently ridiculous.
You may not like Sierra but it is most certainly NOT shitty. Bad taste on your part doesn't ipso facto mean the beer does. Pabst and Hamms are cheap shitty beers but they still may taste good to some people.

I'm dying to hear what blunt and others have to say about this:

Category: 25 American Style Light Lager - 27 Entries
Gold: Old Milwaukee Light, Pabst Brewing Co., Woodridge, IL
Silver: Pabst Blue Ribbon Light, Pabst Brewing Co., Woodridge, IL
Bronze: Coors Light, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO

Category: 26 American-Style Lager - 33 Entries
Gold: Hamm’s, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI
Silver: Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI
Bronze: McHenry Lager, Clipper City Brewing Co., Baltimore, MA

Category: 27 American Style Specialty Lager - 16 Entries
Gold: Icehouse, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI
Silver: Mickey’s Ice, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI
Bronze: Mickey’s Malt Liquor, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI

To each their own I guess, but never knew anyone who drank Mickey's or Icehouse for the taste and I certainly drank my fair share during college when funds were low and malt liquor was the economical way to drink.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3214
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:58 pm

eriedasch wrote:
blunt wrote:Narco: calling Sierra Nevada a shitty beer and putting it together with pabst, hamms, etc, is patently ridiculous.
You may not like Sierra but it is most certainly NOT shitty. Bad taste on your part doesn't ipso facto mean the beer does. Pabst and Hamms are cheap shitty beers but they still may taste good to some people.

I'm dying to hear what blunt and others have to say about this:

Category: 25 American Style Light Lager - 27 Entries
Gold: Old Milwaukee Light, Pabst Brewing Co., Woodridge, IL
Silver: Pabst Blue Ribbon Light, Pabst Brewing Co., Woodridge, IL
Bronze: Coors Light, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO

Category: 26 American-Style Lager - 33 Entries
Gold: Hamm’s, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI
Silver: Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI
Bronze: McHenry Lager, Clipper City Brewing Co., Baltimore, MA

Category: 27 American Style Specialty Lager - 16 Entries
Gold: Icehouse, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI
Silver: Mickey’s Ice, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI
Bronze: Mickey’s Malt Liquor, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI

To each their own I guess, but never knew anyone who drank Mickey's or Icehouse for the taste and I certainly drank my fair share during college when funds were low and malt liquor was the economical way to drink.


A local Madison brewer told me that the Great American Beer Festival is a bit of a popularity contest. He claims many of the beer categories are created to ensure victory for the sponsors. Apparently, the World Beer Championships are a much better indicator of a brewers true talent.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:58 pm

I love finely crafted beer, especially German wheats, Belgians and Unibroue lately. The local WI micros have been great to me since I moved here too (Capital and New Glarus rule).

But I also hit the Guinness, PBR, High Life, Hamms, Schlitz, Coors, and Bud with the best of them. And arguing Bud vs. Miller vs. Coors is silly. None of them can hold a candle to well crafted beers, but sometimes you just want to swig a cold can of domestic...nothing wrong with that.

Porterhouse is my fave red meat. Doesn't mean i can't appreciate a kickass cheesesteak or burger, right?

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3214
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:03 pm

Exactly. There definitely is a time and place to drink schwag beer. Perfect example: drinking on a sandbar on the Wisconsin River for 6 hours in 90 degree heat.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3501
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Postby fennel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:09 pm

Interesting op-ed in the NYT.

Among other things, the writer notes:
Industrial beer is still the vast majority of the American market, and it’s not going away tomorrow, but there is no future in it. While industrial beers suffer flat or declining sales, craft brewers are experiencing double-digit growth. The big brewers now try to copy craft beers. European brewers, who once laughed at watery American beer, now look to the United States for inspiration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/19/opini ... nted=print
(Registration required)
http://www.bugmenot.com/view/nytimes.com

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1586
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 9:10 am

Postby GenieU » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:15 pm

Industrial beer


I like that choice of words-'bout sums it up. There is less of a market for "industrial beer" because there is less industry period.

Maybe China would want to buy mass produced American pilsner, but they can probably make their own cheaper.

It leaves one with the best reason for drinking cheap beer: nostalgia.


Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests