20/20's vodka test

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

20/20's vodka test

Postby narcoleptish » Sun May 27, 2007 12:46 am

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Story?id=3201973&page=3

I love it! All the vodka snobs tested agreed, vodka number one was the worst. And what was number one?....... grey goose, the stupidest reason to add four bucks to the price of your martini. When I bartended, I always got a laugh out of the "high rollers" who insisted on grey goose with their lemonade. Smirnoff or svedka are all you need. Tip your bartender two bucks and you'll still come out ahead.

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Sun May 27, 2007 6:14 am

Ditto. Grey Goose isn't considered a "trophy drink" because it makes you a winner. Straight up, I think Ketel One is the smoothest, Chopin is the tastiest, and Absolut (especially the flavored ones) are the best bargain. Of course, there's like 200 options, I still haven't sorted through all of them (but I'm trying...)

And the whole "Grey Goose and Cranberry Juice" et al is really just a sign that the buyer listens to too much rap music or whatever else is crapping in their brain and leading them to waste money on "status" drinks.

Anyone have any opinions on 'smaller brand' vodkas like Svedka or Thor's Hammer? Like I said, I'm still working through the brands, and after the eighth or ninth vodka on the rocks, my tasting abilities start to decline. And what's the appropriate test? Chilled in a freezer served straight up? Don't ice cubes made with shitty tap water interfere at some point?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun May 27, 2007 4:39 pm

I'm inclined to agree that much of a vodka's "quality" is directly proportional to its cachet in the market, or its advertising. But how does the 20/20 test impact the Mythbusters test, in which the vodka expert nailed the order of cheapest to best on the first try, blind?

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Mon May 28, 2007 2:57 am

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon May 28, 2007 11:38 am

Agreed Spanky. That's a great, cheap vodka. I always buy it for my parties.

KGBear

Postby KGBear » Tue May 29, 2007 2:13 pm

For my Russian taste Grey Goose is the best.
I drink vodka chilled and straight up.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 29, 2007 3:03 pm

KGBear wrote:I drink vodka chilled and straight up.

Fuckin-amen!

I hope all these recommendations are coming from experiments with nothing weaker than a stiff martini. "Good enough" might work when you're dumping the stuff in your OJ, but I don't think there's such a thing when you're drinking it neat.

Grey Goose is fine. Ketel One is better. Absolut is fine, but not as good as many people think. And Stolichnaya is better than a lot of people think.

My two bits.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue May 29, 2007 3:35 pm

Chuck Schick wrote:"Good enough" might work when you're dumping the stuff in your OJ ...

Sure, if all you care about is how it tastes.
But you're far more likely to end up with a splitting headache'n'hangover the next day if you're drinking that cheap rail crap.

Just like cheap, shitty beer, cheap, shitty vodka is pretty much a guaranteed hangover. IMO, you're always better off with quality over price when it comes to boozin'.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue May 29, 2007 3:39 pm

Rocks with olives for me, in a rocks glass.

Ketel one, Goose and Belvedre are my faves. Stoli and Absolut are fine if you can't get these. If yer mixing anything will do, i agree. Putting premium vodkas in juice or tonic is a waste. Its like drowning single malt scotch or ordering a steak well done...

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue May 29, 2007 4:18 pm

It kills me that people will use top shelf vodka in a bloody mary. Why use expensive vodka when you're adding worchester, hot sauce, celery salt, pepper, horseradish, etc?

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue May 29, 2007 5:43 pm

I believe the whole point of vodka is to be pure and tasteless. Given that, the only one I consistently detect a slight metallic taste in is absolut. I drink martinis up and a little dirty and usually order stoli. More and more though, I'm inclined to just order smirnoff if they have it. My friends and I did our own taste test with top shelf and smirnoff and I couldn't tell the difference. As for a hangover, I usually avoid that by sticking to the same drink, avoiding sweet mixers, and drinking water through the night.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue May 29, 2007 5:51 pm

Drinking vodka 'neat' = barf-o-rama.

"I don't want anything coming between me and the great taste of grain alcohol."

What-ev.

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Tue May 29, 2007 6:00 pm

Stomach wrote:It kills me that people will use top shelf vodka in a bloody mary. Why use expensive vodka when you're adding worchester, hot sauce, celery salt, pepper, horseradish, etc?

absolut peppar is pretty good with a bloody. some people like it with other drinks as well, to add a little spice. my SO likes stoli vanil with her gimlet, i think it's disgusting. give me stoli over any other vodka, in any drink, at any time. good price, good taste.
Last edited by square on Tue May 29, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Tue May 29, 2007 6:29 pm

Razberri Stoli + Lemonade = Marriage + Baby

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 29, 2007 8:06 pm

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”