La Fin du Monde

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

La Fin du Monde

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 pm

It's a Belgian-style strong ale brewed in Quebec. Had one recently while on vacation. Very tasty. Anyone know if it's available locally? 9% alcohol, so it's only for the brave. The Trappists should be proud that their tradition has carried on to the New World.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:58 pm

You were in Quebec?? Did you go to that brewpub about 3 blocks east of the train station??? I had the best Red Ale I've ever had in my life there....

No, never had that beer though.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:07 pm

I haven't tried La fin de Monde, but I did try a couple of Great Lakes Brewery Nosferatu recently, also weighing in at around 9% alcho-loving goodness. I bought a four pack at Woodmans, and for the life of me I don't remember finishing the fourth, but it was empty when I woke up the next morning.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:35 pm

Paco wrote:You were in Quebec?? Did you go to that brewpub about 3 blocks east of the train station??? I had the best Red Ale I've ever had in my life there....

No, I went to warm weather in Key West. I had my La Fin du Monde at Ernest's, a small cafe next to the Hemingway Museum.

I did have a red ale from the Southernmost Brewery, located at Kelly's Caribbean Bar, Grill & Brewery (a great restaurant owned by Kelly McGillis).

Madolan

Postby Madolan » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:52 pm

Fin Du Monde and other Unibroues are available at Barriques, Steve's, Verona Wine Cellar, and probably Woodman's. Barriques on Monroe had quite a selection of 4-packs (they don't come in 6) and 750ml bottles of various Unibroue brews. I don't know if Barriques still hires people who know their product, but Jan at the west side Steve's can tell you all about them. (Heck, Jan can probably size you up as you walk in and have your perfect beer match waiting by the time you've stamped the snow off your shoes.)

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:06 pm

white_rabbit wrote:I haven't tried La fin de Monde, but I did try a couple of Great Lakes Brewery Nosferatu recently, also weighing in at around 9% alcho-loving goodness. I bought a four pack at Woodmans, and for the life of me I don't remember finishing the fourth, but it was empty when I woke up the next morning.

Not exactly Miller Lite, heh? ;)

doddles
Forum Addict

Postby doddles » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:38 am

Yep - Unibrou does a really good job at brewing authentic Belgian style aleas. Another good one is the Ommegang brewery in New York. Their Hennepin it very good. Also available around town, including the Cork & Bottle on E. Johnson. Apparently one of the chief brewers at Ommegang used to live upstairs from the Cork & Bottle at one stage, or at least that's what I heard.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Fin du Monde

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:06 am

Its good stuff, their wheat beer is excellent too, can get both at Star Liquors on Willy Street too. The best of that style are Delirium Tremens, Duvel, Chimay, and Leffe, but I think that my French Canadian relatives do right by the Belgian recipe...puts Stella Artois to shame!

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:49 pm

white_rabbit wrote:I haven't tried La fin de Monde, but I did try a couple of Great Lakes Brewery Nosferatu recently, also weighing in at around 9% alcho-loving goodness. I bought a four pack at Woodmans, and for the life of me I don't remember finishing the fourth, but it was empty when I woke up the next morning.

I've had a similar experience with GL beer. I went to school in Cleveland and bought a six pack of Christmas Ale to celebrate the end of the semester. I drank four or five of those and, needless to say, missed the events I had planned to attend that night. A bit of a time warp.

I haven't had the Nosferatu but I'll have to give it a shot.

Woodman's will occasionally have all of the GL beers (including the heavy duty ones) for $5.99 a six pack. I'll wait for that and pounce.

Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby Frank Booth » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Unibrou is probably my favorite brewery, if you are a fan of Belgain Trippels try their Maudite, it is probably my favorite brew.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:28 pm

You can definitely find Fin du Monde at Woodman's, as well as Riley's. A friend of mine introduced me to the stuff over New Year's. Wonderfully yummy stuff, you can barely notice it's (relatively) high octane. The price was a bit prohibitive ($8.99/4 pack), but that didn't stop me from stocking up pre-blizzard.

Leoburt

Uberbrew

Postby Leoburt » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:35 pm

I'm not exactly an expert on Trappists or Tripels, but the I must say that the Ale Asylum Tripel Nova is pretty hot sh!t, and I recommend it heartily.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:30 pm

They also have La Fin du Monde at the Hilldale Sentry. And please allow me a brief moment to say: Mmmm, goddamn I love this stuff :D

doddles
Forum Addict

Postby doddles » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:41 am

What Madison needs more than anything else - I mean anything - is a Belgian beer bar. Come on someone - Burge Bros, guys who run Marigold/Sardine, random Belgian Beer Loving Entrepeneur - open one up! 10 Belgian beers on tap, 20 in bottles, and good frites is all you need.

Should we start a petition?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:51 am

Sign me up.

Gotta tell you this story.....I had a Maudite at the Map Room in Chicago a couple of years ago, served in a Maudite glass. Loved the beer, but when I inquired about buying the glass, I was told they couldn't sell them. I hung around for a couple more beers, and on my way out someone had wrapped up the glass and they just gave it to me.

If you're jonesin' for fresh Belgian now though....Ale Asylum always has 3 excellent variations on tap. You should at least give them a try until some entrepeneur brings us that Belgian beer bar we're petitioning for.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”