is it so bizarre?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

How do you like your beers served to you?

Give me a new glass every time. I hear that the dishwasher rinse that they use is good for your teeth.
11%
Donâ??t replace my glass. I like my beer to taste like the brewer intended, or as close to it as possible. And itâ??s more efficient.
39%
I don't care, just give me a beer.
50%

Total votes: 36

small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

is it so bizarre?

Postby small cheese » Mon May 08, 2006 8:42 pm

When I bartend, there are only two reasons for which I will get you a new glass for your beer: 1) you request it, or 2) the glass is gross. If you've eaten finger food or are on your fourth drink, I'll likely replace it.

Last night I went to the bar to order my second pint of beer. I set my empty glass down and said, "I'd like a spotted cow, please". She went for a new glass, and I tend to watch for this glass-grabbing action and try to get their attention (politely) to request that they use the same glass. (I won't make an attempt if it's busy and/or loud.) Sometimes I get a slight look of confusion, but all is good and we go on our merry ways, him/her with a nice tip and me with a beer in the manner I like it served - no frost, no residue.

This woman last night looked at me like I was completely freaking insane. Asked me "really??!!" ... Twice. And throughout this strictly customer/server interaction proceeded to have a disgusted look on her face that never once wavered.

I was surprised at this reaction, and in retrospect I wish I wouldn't have tipped her, but I was so annoyed by the time she brought my beer to me that I just left a five and walked away.

I was seriously thinking it was nice of her to not refuse me.

I go to this place only every two months or so, so I know nothing about the bartender. And I know people have their bad days, but count the seconds it takes to fill a pint glass. It may be fewer than 10 seconds, but it feels like forever.

So now I'm wondering, is it so freakishly bizarre to ask to use the same glass?

Just curious.
Last edited by small cheese on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Mon May 08, 2006 9:14 pm

By "woman", by any chance do you mean female person under 25? That's the only reason I can think of to act that way. I don't bartend, and I know that the clean glass/same glass preference is a barfly's pergolative. Perogletive. Pergola. Hicburp. What're we talkin about again?

steveo

Postby steveo » Mon May 08, 2006 9:49 pm

As a bartender I would think one would like a new glass. You never said there was a Spotted cow in your first glass. So I think she was being nice by giving you a CLEAN glass.

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Mon May 08, 2006 11:28 pm

I guess I'd have to say that if the bartender is sticking the spigot in the beer while pouring, a new glass every time is the only way to keep germs off the spigot. That's the wrong way to do it, obviously, but I've seen it done. And then ordered bottled beer. I suppose if it was something like grabbing a clean glass was closer than walking to get your used glass, it makes sense too.

On another note, frosted glasses suck for beer. If you can't stand the taste of the beer, a different brand (or drink altogether) is in order. I would imagine Micheloeb Ultra is a good choice for beer drinkers who don't like tasting beer.

And what's the ettiquette for being offered a glass with your bottle? Is it ever crude to drink from a bottle? Snobbish to pour into a glass?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue May 09, 2006 8:58 am

I think it's situational. If I just had a stout and I'm switching to a pale ale, I would like a new glass. If I'm ordering the same thing I just had, I don't care. Unless you're going between dark and light, it's pretty hard for the bartender to know, so they probably default to a clean glass.

Beer should never be served in a frosted glass.

small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Tue May 09, 2006 10:05 am

By "woman", by any chance do you mean female person under 25?

She was probably late 20s. Hard to tell, with that contorted expression on her face.

You never said there was a Spotted cow in your first glass. So I think she was being nice by giving you a CLEAN glass.

True, she didn't know that I just finished a Spotted Cow, this was my only time approaching the bar that night. But if she was trying to be nice, she shouldn't have responded the way she did.

a new glass every time is the only way to keep germs off the spigot.

I've thought about this myself when pouring, but never watch for this when I order. I'm going to watch this over the next few weeks, see how many bartenders do this.

I'd prefer to order a bottle and avoid using the glassware, but I usually end up ordering draught because it seems the only way you can drink local brews around here is on tap. Most bottles are crappy domestics or imports.

Is it ever crude to drink from a bottle? Snobbish to pour into a glass?
No, I don't think so.

If I just had a stout and I'm switching to a pale ale, I would like a new glass.

I can see that. If someone is trying the different beers on tap, I'll ask if they want a new glass. Probably half do. If they want the same glass, I'll give the inside a rinse with the beer they switched to.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Re: is it so bizarre?

Postby eriedasch » Tue May 09, 2006 4:18 pm

small cheese wrote:She went for a new glass, and I tend to watch for this glass-grabbing action and try to get their attention (politely) to request that they use the same glass.

When ordering the next beer I usually hand my glass to the bartender and tell them to please go ahead and use the same one.

I understand policy of some bars using a clean glass for every pint poured (i.e. brewpubs that rely on their tasty micros), and honoring picky customer requests that want a "new" glass every drink. But seriously why would any bartender frown on someone wanting to use the same glass? Christ, all I am doing is helping you not have to wash a few extra glasses at the end of the nite.

What really burns my ass is when you are forced to drinking out of plastic cups and they still insist on giving you a new cup - even after you asked them to use the same one. It seems this usually only happens at outdoor/corporate events but it really gets me when they force you to be wasteful.

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Tue May 09, 2006 6:38 pm

small cheese wrote:If someone is trying the different beers on tap, I'll ask if they want a new glass. Probably half do. If they want the same glass, I'll give the inside a rinse with the beer they switched to.

That's a waste of beer. Wouldn't water be better? Plus it'll knock the foam residue off the top too.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed May 10, 2006 8:41 am

lysander wrote:
small cheese wrote:If someone is trying the different beers on tap, I'll ask if they want a new glass. Probably half do. If they want the same glass, I'll give the inside a rinse with the beer they switched to.

That's a waste of beer. Wouldn't water be better? Plus it'll knock the foam residue off the top too.

I don't know. I have seen bartenders do that. If you end up with a pint that has the untainted taste of the beer you ordered, it's fine with me.

small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Re: is it so bizarre?

Postby small cheese » Wed May 10, 2006 1:47 pm

eriedasch wrote:What really burns my ass is when you are forced to drinking out of plastic cups and they still insist on giving you a new cup - even after you asked them to use the same one. It seems this usually only happens at outdoor/corporate events but it really gets me when they force you to be wasteful.

Yeah, bugs the hell out of me, too. I once asked why, don't remember where, but I was told that they needed to give me a new cup because that was how they tracked their sales.

Which - a bit off topic - is what some movie theaters apparently do. I had a girl serve me popcorn with butter all over the outside of the tub, so I requested a new one. She wouldn't give it me. I had to ask her to get the manager, this girl was so scared to screw up the inventory system with one tub. It was cute, and kind of sad.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Thu May 11, 2006 7:58 am

As a former bartender, I prefer a fresh glass with each pour, especially when you see the bartender rest the inside of the glass on the spigot.

If I really gave it serious thought, would probably only drink bottled beer, from the bottle. But right now I have a cast iron constitution that can fend off other folk's germs. Just wait til the bird flu hits though, it'll probably be self service then! :lol:

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu May 11, 2006 12:27 pm

lysander wrote: ... a new glass every time is the only way to keep germs off the spigot.

Is this really a concern? Out of the spigot comes alcohol.
Even assuming germs manage to thrive on the end of that spigot and end up in your glass of alcohol. So what? Aren't you then gonna put them in your mouth along with a big swig of alcohol?

I ain't even joking, fellas.
Beer was invented to kill the germs in water.

You need to find a new phobia. Don't worry about the spigot, worry about the fact that the bartender probably hasn't washed their hands all night!

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Thu May 11, 2006 1:10 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Is this really a concern? Out of the spigot comes alcohol.
Even assuming germs manage to thrive on the end of that spigot and end up in your glass of alcohol. So what? Aren't you then gonna put them in your mouth along with a big swig of alcohol?

You need to find a new phobia. Don't worry about the spigot, worry about the fact that the bartender probably hasn't washed their hands all night!

Ok, I've heard the "if there's alcohol in it, it must be a freaking antiseptic" argument ad naseum. If that's the case, you'd drink your beer after I spit in it, right? I mean, if there's some level of alcohol in the beer, it must be the same as soaking it in bleach. Right?

If the bartenders washed their hands in beer, would you think they're clean or sterile? How about your dental hygenist? No, germs grow just fine in beer. I've seen proof.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu May 11, 2006 1:19 pm

lysander wrote:
Ok, I've heard the "if there's alcohol in it, it must be a freaking antiseptic" argument ad naseum. If that's the case, you'd drink your beer after I spit in it, right?

Sure, if it's on the house. But don't expect a tip.

I certainly never used the word "antispetic", now did I, but it is a mighty fine Straw Man, nonetheless. Clearly, beer doesn't kill everything (yeast does alright, obviously.)

I'm just sayin' this is yet another example of the human mind's utter inability to accurately assess risk. The risk of getting sick from a spigot seems exceedingly small compared to all the other sources of dank in the average bar and yes, that includes the hands of the bartender who has been touching money all night, one of the most disgusting, germ-ridden things on the planet.

lysander wrote:
No, germs grow just fine in beer. I've seen proof.

You have?
Please elaborate, oh cryptic one.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu May 11, 2006 2:02 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
lysander wrote:
No, germs grow just fine in beer. I've seen proof.

You have?
Please elaborate, oh cryptic one.

Lysander, I expect what you may be referring to is mold. Germs, for one, are not visible to the naked eye, given that they are microbiotic. Unless you're equipped with an electron microscope, I have to call bullshit.

As a one-time, now butt-lazy home brewer, I can tell you that the de facto definitive resource on the subject claims there are no pathogens that can survive in even the lightest of brews. If you're unscrupulous about cleaning your bottles, you can get mold growth, which might be extremely distasteful, but it's not going to cause more than a sour face and turn of the stomach, which is not the same as infection.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”