What Instruments go with Which Types of Music?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

What Instruments go with Which Types of Music?

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Interesting to think that we often associate certain instruments with certain types of music, but it is often more interesting when music crosses the lines.

The guitar is associated with rock music. I've seen some great rock guitarists in my day, but probably the best guitarist I've seen was Andres Segovia. Not rock at all.

I've seen some very good classical violinists, but probably the best violinist I've seen in a concert was John Luc Ponty (saw him twice, once on the first row). (Yes, there were classical violinists who were better, but I never saw them in a concert, only on TV.)

The steel guitar is associated with country music. The best steel guitar players I've seen were in Hawaii (where the steel guitar was invented). But then, I've only seen very low-level country bands live.

The piano/keyboard is cross musical. I've seen some great classical and prog rock piano/organ/keyboard players. Also Ray Charles.

At least the best ukulele player I've ever seen, the late Peter Moon, was a Hawaiian musician. I've never seen anyone play the ukulele in a concert outside of Hawaii. I've seen YouTube clips of Paul McCartney and George Harrison playing the ukulele, but they couldn't hold a candle to Peter Moon.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What Instruments go with Which Types of Music?

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:26 pm

I found an interesting clip of Peter Moon as an old man.
His fingers didn't fly quite as much as they did when he was young, but this is 2 minutes of great ukulele playing.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:29 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:The steel guitar is associated with country music. The best steel guitar players I've seen were in Hawaii (where the steel guitar was invented). But then, I've only seen very low-level country bands live.

Three words spring to mind:

Robert Freakin' Randolph

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:06 pm

jman111 wrote:
PaleoLiberal wrote:The steel guitar is associated with country music. The best steel guitar players I've seen were in Hawaii (where the steel guitar was invented). But then, I've only seen very low-level country bands live.

Three words spring to mind:

Robert Freakin' Randolph

Excellent. :clap: :clap:

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:05 pm

I don't associate guitar with rock unless it is an electric one or two or three.

Return to “General Music”