21,000 vinyl records donated to thrift stores

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

21,000 vinyl records donated to thrift stores

Postby jman111 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:19 am

Vinyl fans surely have their preferred source(s) for hidden gems, but this may be interesting to some.
A Platteville man has donated more than 21,000 vinyl record albums to raise money for a thrift store chain in Madison.

Agrace Thrift Stores will begin selling Jerry Roh's albums Friday morning. Genres include rock, country, religious, polka, children's, classical and blues music.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 21,000 vinyl records donated to thrift stores

Postby gargantua » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:49 am

What? No hip hop?

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:12 pm

With it being promoted by every media outlet in town I would expect a large turnout including the usual suspects like the guy from Sugar Shack, someone from Mad City Music Exchange and maybe even someone from Strictly Discs. And the guy who has the Quonset hut on Commercial Ave. Resale records? Maybe even Dave Benton who still has his own online record store, last I heard.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:24 pm

Did Waggy get a piece of this action?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:29 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Did Waggy get a piece of this action?

It's tomorrow, so not yet. But thanks so much for your concern, pal. Do you want I should post what I score there so you can continue your long tradition of mocking how I earn my living?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:48 pm

I would like to hear if you get anything.

Can you tell just by looking at the records if they will sound good / are playable?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:59 pm

bdog wrote:Can you tell just by looking at the records if they will sound good / are playable?

While it's easy enough to tell if a record won't play without skipping or will absolutely sound shitty (warps, deep scratches, hunks of caked-on crud, etc.) there's no real well to tell if a record will sound good, because there are a lot of factors involved there -- the quality of the original pressing, what kind of equipment it will be played back on, whether the grooves have been damaged from exposure to temp changes or humidity that haven't left any noticeable marks, etc. Not to mention that whether something sounds good or not is a subjective thing which can differ wildly from listener to listener. Because of all that, and because it's quite literally impossible to listen to every record that comes through my store, grading records is done purely visually. Here's a nice general guide if you wanna learn more about what I spend my days doing.

To answer your question more directly: sometimes. A big issue with purchasing records out in the wild -- as opposed to my preferred method of having people drop off collections with me so I can examine them at home -- is lighting. I have boxes of stuff I've picked up over the years that looked great at some thrift store or when examined outside at a garage sale which look quite shabby when I scrutinize them under my bright desk lamp.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: Do you want I should post what I score there so you can continue your long tradition of mocking how I earn my living?

Well I'll tip my hat to you Wags. You found a way to make a living working for yourself and that is not an easy thing to do, I know. Here's hoping you find a God Save The Queen single tucked inside of a $1 Bad English LP.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:44 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Did Waggy get a piece of this action?

It's tomorrow, so not yet. But thanks so much for your concern, pal. Do you want I should post what I score there so you can continue your long tradition of mocking how I earn my living?

That would be convenient.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:18 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Well I'll tip my hat to you Wags. You found a way to make a living working for yourself and that is not an easy thing to do, I know.

Thanks, narc. I've asked Flanders dozens of times over the years why he thinks owning a home business is worthy of mockery but, being a complete chickenshit* asshole, he of course has no answer.

As for the sale -- I hit up one location this morning and it was every bit the clusterfuck I assumed it would be, so I only came home with a couple dozen records. Will likely check out the second location later this afternoon.

*Speaking of what a chickenshit Ned is, did anyone else chuckle at his claim in one of the gun threads recently that he'd, like, totally shoot dead a home intruder? Because this is the same guy who for nearly 20 years has been so afraid of us that he has steadfastly refused to tell us what he does for a living. Because obviously we'd use that information to track him down or something. Now offhand, I can't think of a more harmless group of people than Forons, but poor ol' Ned quivers in his boots at the thought of having to deal with one of us when he's not behind the safety of his keyboard and monitor. Not at all surprised he pretends to be a bad-ass when he's safely anonymous, but I think we all know he's more likely a hide in the closet/run screaming in fear kinda guy in the real world.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:04 pm

Yeah, I have such ill will toward Flanders that you know what I'd do if I met him?
Probably laugh. That'd be the worst. He might get by with a smirk. Then I'd buy him a beer.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:51 pm

gargantua wrote:Yeah, I have such ill will toward Flanders that you know what I'd do if I met him?
Probably laugh. That'd be the worst. He might get by with a smirk. Then I'd buy him a beer.

A few years ago it was rumored that Joyce was Flanders. I met Joyce about ten years ago, at an Isthmus gathering, and indeed I laughed.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:52 pm

And what's so bad about being self employed? I've done that more years than I've spent working for someone else. Both have their pluses and minuses. You do need a lot of common sense, because nobody else is going to rescue you when something goes wrong.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:58 am

snoqueen wrote:And what's so bad about being self employed? I've done that more years than I've spent working for someone else. Both have their pluses and minuses. You do need a lot of common sense, because nobody else is going to rescue you when something goes wrong.

I have nothing but respect for self-employment. It's the very definition of working without a net.

Return to “General Music”