Madison Night Club-Interns

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
88dan

Madison Night Club-Interns

Postby 88dan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:35 pm

Hey All, I'm working on a story about the music scene in Madison around 1970-74. In particular, a club called the "Interns".
The story is based on documents I found several years back while at Stan's Auto Salvage in Waterloo.
Musicians:
Eddie Love, John Wake, Michael Paul, Bernie Olson, Ron Severson, Pat Gatling, Mike Flynn, Debi Lindley

Rainbow Entertainment-DBA Spectrum.

Thanks,
Dan

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Madison Night Club-Interns

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:11 pm

There was a nightclub called Spectrum or The Spectrum in the building that was until recently Prime Quarter Steakhouse on E Wash. Now it's a PDQ.

Can't remember exact time period, I was a kid. Probably closer to late 70's.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Ask Henry Vilas. He's the oldest coot here.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Ask Henry Vilas. He's the oldest coot here.

Only the oldest in "Madison."

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:54 pm

Go to the downtown public library and ask to see some Madison city directories from the years in question. Those directories are incredibly detailed if you've got the patience to dig through non digitized material.

I was in Madison as a young adult during those years. I hung around mostly downtown and I don't remember a club called the Spectrum being in that area. So narco's guess that it was outside the central city makes sense to me.

In addition, during a few of those years in the early 70s I worked for a rock booking agency. The names of the musicians, along with the club, are not familiar to me. Our company booked mostly campus area bars in Madison and outstate. Once again, I'm thinking the place you're researching was not downtown or campus area.

Of course, I could also have been too drunk to remember.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:37 pm

There was a club in Milwaukee called the Interns in that time frame but I don't remember one in Madison.

other i
Forum Addict

Postby other i » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:04 pm

There was a Mike Flynn with U.S. Pure who, I think, was the vocalist. The only other name I can associate with that band is Keith Powers.

Return to “General Music”