I Shot the Sherrif

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I Shot the Sherrif

Postby fennel » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:02 pm

narcoleptish wrote:It means fennel is a robot. So that's one less human around here. What are we left with, seven of us?
No, it just means NPR isn't commonly available within penitentiaries, I guess.

But there's a whole world out there ...

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:13 am

fennel wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:It means fennel is a robot. So that's one less human around here. What are we left with, seven of us?
No, it just means NPR isn't commonly available within penitentiaries, I guess.

But there's a whole world out there ...

I feel like that's a shot at me, but I didn't say anything about not understanding what NPR is.

Why do you reflexively change stations when you hear the word "support"? Are you averse to contributing to WPR/NPR's bottom lines?

What's "subbort"?

Speech Recognition Software? Is that supposed to be a joke, or a reference to something?

Take a second to not be willfully opaque, and communicate in a way that makes sense to more people than you alone. Try it, you'll like it!

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:29 am

thebookpolice wrote:Are you averse to contributing to WPR/NPR's bottom lines?
Shouldn't that be 'top' lines?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:11 am

I tend to change the station during pledge drives by NPR, WORT, and public television. Not because I don't support them, but because I find the exhortations to pledge, or "support", boring.
I admit that I wasn't quite sure what fennel was getting at either.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:30 am

gargantua wrote:I tend to change the station during pledge drives by NPR, WORT, and public television. Not because I don't support them, but because I find the exhortations to pledge, or "support", boring.

I can mentally tune out on the pledge drive cut-ins, similarly unencumbered by guilt as a long-time supporter. What makes me hit the button are the moments when the on-air talent starts to stumble over the script during an ad-lib moment. It just gets uncomfortable to listen to humans that awkward.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:55 pm

I used to listen throughout the pledge drive, but not since they killed Whad'ya Know and STILL play Simply Folk on both networks. Fuck that. (Haven't cancelled my sustaining membership, though.)

WBEZ is a great substitute. It's what I stream now as I'm getting ready in the morning.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:26 pm

In my case, the reason that I have low tolerance for interruptions, is that I'm seldom in the car for more than 15-20 minutes. So I prefer to listen to the music on Tropical Rhythms, for example, as opposed to pledge talk during the limited time I have. I understand that they need to do it, I'm just a fuckin baby and it's all about me,me, me!

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:27 pm

I love radio and enjoy flipping around between all the stations while driving. Part of my fascination relates to my lifelong curiosity about contemporary hit radio (aka top 40) and new country. Those stations play a lot of mediocre-to-terrible music, but there's joy in occasionally learning about a really good new song. I also find college radio stations compelling and learn a lot from them, and there's a good one here in my new hometown of Natchitoches, Louisiana. This coming weekend I'll do something I haven't done in a long time, which is sit and listen to "A Prairie Home Companion" on public radio. Mandolinist extraordinaire Chris Thile is debuting as the new host, and I'm interested in how he'll do.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:28 pm

I read on some liner notes that "I Shot the Sheriff" was autobiographical, and explained why Marley left Jamaica.

His defiant "If I am guilty I will pay!" would make more sense that way.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:09 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:I read on some liner notes that "I Shot the Sheriff" was autobiographical, and explained why Marley left Jamaica.

This makes no sense. The song came out in 1973 and Marley didn't relocate to London until the end of 1976. Pretty sure he left because someone had just tried to assassinate him and almost succeeded. (He was wounded in the attack but still played a political benefit show two days later saying, "The people who are trying to make this world worse aren't taking a day off. How can I?") He recorded two albums in London -- Exodus and Kaya -- but by 1979's Survival was already back to recording in Kingstown.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:37 am

Are you saying liner notes could be incorrect?

Next you will tell me there are mistakes on Wikipedia

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:09 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
PaleoLiberal wrote:I read on some liner notes that "I Shot the Sheriff" was autobiographical, and explained why Marley left Jamaica.

This makes no sense. The song came out in 1973 and Marley didn't relocate to London until the end of 1976. Pretty sure he left because someone had just tried to assassinate him and almost succeeded. (He was wounded in the attack but still played a political benefit show two days later saying, "The people who are trying to make this world worse aren't taking a day off. How can I?") He recorded two albums in London -- Exodus and Kaya -- but by 1979's Survival was already back to recording in Kingstown.

Bob Marley went to Sweden in 1971 or 1972 to collaborate with Johnny Nash and also to take a break from the increasingly violent political climate in Jamaica. Nash's version of "Stir it Up" was recorded then. The move to London in 1976 was indeed a reaction to the home invasion and assassination attempt at Marley's "mansion" on Hope Rd in Kingston. Other reggae artists also left Jamaica around that time.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:59 am

PaleoLiberal wrote:Next you will tell me there are mistakes on Wikipedia

Golly, I hope not. That's where I got the exact wording for that quote in my post. :)

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:13 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

This makes no sense.

Wikipedia says Marley didn't shoot a sheriff, but did, or wanted to, shoot a doctor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Shot_the_Sheriff

"In 2012, Bob Marley's former girlfriend revealed the origin of the lyrics. To the surprise of many, she explained that the lyrics, "Sheriff John Brown always hated me, For what, I don't know: Every time I plant a seed, He said kill it before it grow" was actually in response to the fact that Marley was very opposed to her use of birth control pills. Marley's opposition to birth control led him to substitute the word "sheriff" for "doctor"".

In sad irony, Marley's brother did shoot at police but was shot and killed by them. Did Bob's song inspire him to shoot at police?

Bob Marley's Brother Dies in Shoot-Out with Police
February 20, 1990
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-02-20/ ... bob-marley

"The 19-year-old brother of the late Jamaican reggae star Bob Marley died in a shoot-out with Miami police after he frightened shoppers at a mall by stalking through stores with a 12-gauge shotgun, authorities said Monday. They said Anthony Booker fired once at police in the Cutler Ridge Mall's parking lot Sunday before he was killed by officers."

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:20 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:there's a good one here in my new hometown of Natchitoches, Louisiana.

Why did you move to Natchitoches?

Return to “General Music”