What! No Monkees threads???

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What! No Monkees threads???

Postby Marvell » Sat May 07, 2016 1:18 pm

Bongwater's cover of 'Just May Be the One' is the most, man.

Also, The Plastic's version of 'Last Train to Clarksville.'

And one time I was in the Greenway Crossing McDonald's and 'Pleasant Valley Sunday' came on the sound system. It was, like, surreal.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed May 18, 2016 4:24 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... d-20160517
... Along the way, they come into contact with rock pioneers Fats Domino, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis, all of whom play themselves. It ends with a wild, 10-minute version of "Listen to the Band" that quickly devolves into a wild psychedelic freakout crammed with guest stars. Check it out above.

This insane version of "Listen to the Band" marked the end of the road for the original lineup of the Monkees...

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed May 25, 2016 6:47 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/arts/ ... .html?_r=1

"Review: Hey, Hey, the Monkees are Busy Singing Again!"
May 25, 2016

“Good Times!” recapitulates the Monkees’ arc from performers to singer-songwriters, keeping an uncomputerized 1960s sound.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue May 31, 2016 10:24 pm

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/31/mo ... um=twitter

"The Monkees share stories behind their biggest hits"
Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork discuss their '60s heyday — and their brand new album

As We Go Along (1968)
MD: Carole King (who cowrote the song) had to teach me how to sing in 5/4 time. Always thank her for that. And, at the session, the guitars were played by Neil Young and Ry Cooder. Yep. Listen to that song. Those guitar parts are Neil Young and Ry Cooder! [Laughs]

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:38 pm

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:01 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 68-w435269
"The Monkees: Our Life in 15 Songs"
Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork tell the stories behind some of their most enduring tunes
"Porpoise Song" (1968)
Micky Dolenz: The movie Head was crated by Bob Rafelson, Bert Schneider and Jack Nicholson. It wasn't so much about the deconstruction of the Monkees, but it was using the deconstruction of the Monkees as metaphor for the deconstruction of the Hollywood film industry. I think it was restricted to 17 and over. Many of our fans couldn't even get in. From a commercial perspective, it was totally the wrong movie to make. But we didn't want to make a 90-minute episode of the Monkees TV show. Also, these were the guys that were going to go off and make Easy Rider and Five Easy Pieces. They had an opportunity to really stretch here. "Porpoise Song" is one of my favorite songs to sing. It's sort of the theme of the movie.

"Listen to the Band" (1969)
Mike Nesmith: This has a really interesting pedigree. I write half a chapter in my new book about it because it was such an unusual moment. ...

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Mike Nesmith has a new book out about the Monkees (and other things). Fans - you know who you are - might be interested.

Return to “General Music”