Song writing collaborators who recorded them separately

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Song writing collaborators who recorded them separately

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:13 am

The recent death of Glenn Frey as well as the discussion on Jefferson Airplane got me thinking about two (or three) musicians who wrote a song together and then recorded that song separate of one another. Frey wrote "Take It Easy" with Jackson Browne and both released it as a single, but only the Eagle's version charted. (On a side note, I've been to Winslow, AZ and had my picture taken next to the Browne statue. At the corner, of course.)

"Wooden Ships" was written by David Crosby, Paul Kantner, and Stephen Stills and recorded by both the Jefferson Airplane and Crosby, Stills and Nash. The later was the biggest hit.

Any other notable examples?

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Song writing collaborators who recorded them separately

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:44 am

"What a Fool Believes," written by Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald, was released by both Loggins and the Doobie Brothers. I'm not a giant Doobies fan but I love that track.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:49 am

Lots of multiple releases, particularly back in the 50's. But not many with the songwriters involved.

Only one that comes to mind is Jeannie Needs a Shooter, which I don't believe Springsteen ever officially ever released.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:40 am

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:47 am

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:57 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:28 pm

I've always wondered about "Wild Horses" as the cover came out before the original. I like the Burrito Brothers version better than the Stones.

Another one I've always questioned is "If Not for You." Dylan gets songwriting credits but George Harrison helped in Bob's recording and then included it on All Things Must Pass.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I've always wondered about "Wild Horses" as the cover came out before the original. I like the Burrito Brothers version better than the Stones.

What I heard from a Gram Parsons devotee is that the Stones led a young, gentle-souled Gram Parsons into heroin addiction; then pilfered several of his best songs. Probably more than a bit harsh judgement.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:49 pm

The problem with the Parsons-penned-"Wild Horses" theory is that Parsons himself is on record explaining that he heard the song on an advance tape of Sticky Fingers which had been sent to his bandmate Sneaky Pete Kleinow (who recorded a pedal steel part which was ultimately left off the record.) Jagger signed off on the cover version with the stipulation that it not be released as a single.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:18 pm

Both John Lennon and Paul McCartney released versions of old Lennon-McCartney Beatles songs. Especially Paul. For example, lots of songs on Wings Over America and Give My Regards to Broad Street.

"Give Peace a Chance was credited to Lennon-McCartney but really written by John and Yoko. It was recorded by Lennon in a hotel in Montreal. Almost 40 years later Yoko recorded her own version. Paul McCartney sometimes plays a version in concerts.

Return to “General Music”